Apple needs to respond to Amazon's Fire TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iMacFarlane, Apr 3, 2014.

1. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I have an Apple TV, the newest one, and I love it. I use it all the time. In fact, I am a cord cutter and don't even have Cable TV.

But seriously, have you seen what Amazon just put out? Wow. If Apple doesn't have similarly specced tech coming soon, then I would say they are pretty much done in this segment.

Here's the link to the sales page for the curious . . .

(Amazon's Fire TV sales page)

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Apple will enhance there product when they feel its ready. No need to rush something.

Although I feel the new keynote is 100% pushing towards Apple TV

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Based on my usage of the ATV, I wasn't wow'd at all. The only thing missing on the ATV, for me, is Amazon Instant Video. I get that, when I want it, from the Xbox.

I'm sure the gaming aspect of it will be much welcomed by many and as the rumors have been saying, the ATV may get gaming in a future update.

I don't know that Apple needs to respond to Amazon per se, because traditionally, they do things at their own pace and don't try to "keep up with the Jones'."

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Sorry, I don't wow. I meh... :rolleyes:

With all those specs, can I AirPlay from my iPad?

5. benamin macrumors newbie

I want more from Apple

I agree with what most have been asking for in the new apple TV. Like App store,games,improved interface, much improved content, maybe 4k, etc. But I would like "someone" to do more! Apple has the components and the A7 has so much untapped power. My mediacenter shelf is a mess of hardware and wires that I know can be fixed with todays technology. I want apple TV to change to a componentized "Apple Media System" with the ATV being the brain, and then buy/add what you want. Give the ATV pass through HDMI and Working USB3, and usable interface,then you can,

Replace the clunky interface big Blu-ray player with a nice little stackable drive that sits under the atv. watch and/or rip to below.

A USB3 (or thunderbolt ) hard drive nice and small to stack as well then you have your media/nas server.

A nice appleized a/v receiver under that to sound them all!. A/v receivers are so behind the times.

My big mess of components taking a huge shelf just became a nice neat little stack about 7"Wx7"Dx7"h. maybe a little more for the receiver piece.

Gidde up! just buy the atv core and or the rest if you want. even have your cable box passthrough the atv.

time to update? just replace the ATV brain as technology ups.

6. Slippery Gimp macrumors member

I could have all that if Apple just brought Front Row back (for my Mac Mini)!

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

2 Months.

Developer conference, with API and SDK for AppleTV gaming, and training sessions for such.

Think about timing for WWDC announcement :)
    They announced 21 days earlier than last year. https://www.apple.com/pr/library/20...nce-to-Kick-Off-June-10-in-San-Francisco.html

If we're lucky.

If we're not... then it'll just be wearable, healthbook new API.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

"The only thing missing on the ATV, for me, is Amazon Instant Video. I get that, when I want it, from the Xbox."

+1 (except I use my TV's smart apps for Amazon). I really do wish Apple would add Amazon Instant Video. I'd much prefer using the ATV for everything.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

It's an apple tv without hbogo and with third tier games I'll never play

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

With all due respect, Apple likely made more profit with the Apple TV in 2013 than all of Amazon.com. For you to say "they are pretty much done in this segment" is a bit premature - regardless of what Apple does.

A.

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

12. benamin macrumors newbie

13. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

With each new update to a device/computer/thingie, it is sure tempting to get the latest and greatest one...until I check the wallet/bank/etc.

Though all the things on the new Amazon FireTV sound great...and I would love them on the next AppleTV (and more stuff too) I am content with my current AppleTV.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The main thing I want is something Apple just isn't going to do as they could do it now, local playback. I want to attach a hard drive to my Apple TV and I'd be content. Until then I'll have two boxes with the WD Live Hub living next to the Apple TV.

15. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

ATV, Roku and now Amazon's inexpensive smart hub for streaming... we live in good times if this is the type of device one wants.

Apple appears to be all about a closed eco system which keeps ease, nice GUI and hook in to Apple's media offerings. Roku runs rather nicely for many and is not really a closed system but also misses a few features and hardware is on par (if not better) than ATV. What Amazon is offering is a somewhat more versatile solution that of course gets us to Amazon Prime and rentals and a bit more. From a marketing perspective, it doesn't have to be locked into Amazon's offerings (movies, music etc.) to be a success but to get people out of Apple's eco system to be successful. Remember, if one is using Amazon's offering, they most likely are not using Apple's ATV. - Dollars to Amazon instead of Apple as it were and not just dollars in Amazon's pocket.

I have set up ATV for friends and they love it. For me, it is a no go because it simply doesn't match my needs. I think it performs very well for what it is and looking forward to the next few weeks to see more about what is hot and what is not about the Amazon offering.

Last - I have various devices that are "smart" and can access Amazon, Netflix, Vudu and other media sources via Internet. What I do want is a good quality, budget oriented, solution for playback of files I have at home and can handle 1080p, HD quality audio (pass thru is okay), XBMC type front end, and full playback of hi rez music files (at least 96/24). In the meanwhile, I use my Blu Ray player for streaming local files, Netflix and Vudu. My TV itself handles Amazon. I am set for now.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You know how people in fast food say everybody should have to do that for a couple of months? Yeah, people who complain about "slow" technology should really work in any sort of tech field for just two weeks. Just go fix the "simplest" problem on a website. "Oh, there's this one parenthesis that needed to be a bracket. I mean two brackets, now it's fixed."

It's not like Apple can just will some new Apple TV into existence with software that works up to its standards. Anybody can throw specs in a box at you. Developing software that doesn't treat you like an idiot takes time. Hell, even Apple took a few years to get to the 2.0 version of Apple TV.

Amazon unveiled this thing a few days ago, and predictably there is a lot of "APPLE MUST UNVEIL A NEW APPLE TV NOW, RIGHT NOW, NO WAITING OR ELSE APOCALYPSE AND BANKRUPTCY." If Apple had the iPhone of set-top boxes scheduled for introduction at WWDC, does any sane person think it would all of a sudden rush that out by a couple of months because Amazon put its first box out there, a box that seems to pretty much be a Roku with a game controller?

17. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Apple will come out with an updated ATV when they decide what you should have, not what you want. Been that way for awhile. Look how long it took for a new mac pro. Folks wanted internal storage. NOPE. They design what they think you should have. Folks have been screaming for a better ATV, (more storage, better options), but sat on there hobby while others inovate AND come to market. Apple dragged there feet to long on this one. Oh, we have to wait until june to see if apple comes out with a new ATV. Probably will. No one knows for sure so will jump on amazons new toy. Should know by end of year who out done the other. Should be a good fight.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

All those bad mouthing FTV, must love the glacial pace apple has been on with ATV.

I applaud anything that will kick apple in the butt to progress.

19. cynics macrumors G3

Apple needs to respond to Amazon's Fire TV

You are severely underestimating Amazon.com. Profit wise that maybe somewhat accurate due to Amazons aggressive expansion (we are seeing that now with a set top box) however overall profit from AppleTV sales is a drop in the bucket for a giant like Amazon.com. They are 49 Fortune 500, 33 Forbes most valuable company etc etc.

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks, that had me rolling on the floor with the biggest laugh I have had in a while! Yes I am a software engineer and I know what you mean, but when applied to Apple that is just funny. Everything piece of software that they make is intended to treat you like an idiot, and succeeds admirably I might add. Has Apple never heard of user options?

21. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You might have said how.

Apple does not break out individual profit numbers, but in general Apple is very profitable; In 2013 they had Apple TV sales of over $1 billion. Amazon's net income after expenses (profit) for FY 2013 was $274 million. That is for the entire company. (1)

The OP said that if Apple does not do something with regard to FTV, then they are "pretty much done in this segment". I maintain that such a statement is premature, especially given the numbers.

A.

(1) http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/amzn/financials

22. Giuly, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Then again, the Apple TV experience is so great that there should be an iTV nevertheless.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

OP,

Why does Apple need to "respond" to fire tv? Apple is not known to do things because others are. They do them when they feel the time is right. Case in point: they didn't Jump on the 4G bandwagon as early as others because the tech at that time was still being implemented and was basically window dressing.

For any company to succeed in dethroning cable tv boxes, they are going to need more than $2 games. They are going to need content... Everything else is just fluff.

My hope is for Apple to take their time and do this right.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There is a surprising amount of OTA broadcast TV available, and, some of it is not readily available, on many cable systems.

Sure, I've seen it. But, I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. The one thing the Apple TV does not have that would be handy is Amazon. I assume that either Apple, or Amazon, or both, did not want that. On the other hand, no iTunes streaming on the Amazon box, either.

So, other than Amazon streaming, what is it that Amazon has that the Apple TV desperately needs?

25. badams002 macrumors member

If you take your comparison, that has more to do with Amazon not being able to turn a profit on 75 billion dollars in sales. Some directors, VPs, and maybe the COO has got to go. All that money coming in but no profits? Where is it going? I smell some Enron accounting here.

These boxes are low maintenance divisions for companies on the scale of Apple and Amazon, especially if Apple solidifies a deal with Comcast. Neither Apple, Amazon, or Roku are going anywhere any time soon.