Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

092043-itunes_10_icon_steve.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Apple is talking with a number of music labels about allowing customers to download tracks purchased from the iTunes Store an unlimited number of times to any device associated with a specific iTunes Store account. According to sources, agreements could be reached by midyear that would allow Apple to provide cloud-based "digital lockers" to permit users access to their music libraries from any registered device.
Apple Inc. (AAPL) is in talks with record companies to give iTunes customers easier access to music they've purchased across multiple devices, said three people with knowledge of the plans.

Apple is negotiating with music companies including Vivendi SA (VIV)'s Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group Corp. (WMG) and EMI Group Ltd., said the people, who asked for anonymity because the talks are private. An agreement may be announced by midyear, two of the people said.
The deal would permit users to wirelessly access from their iPhones and iPads music purchased on their computers or other devices, and would also serve as a permanent backup for purchased tracks.

The report also seems to corroborate earlier claims from The Wall Street Journal regarding the cloud-based media storage potentially being part of a MobileMe overhaul that could see the service become free for users.
The new download policy is among several service changes Apple is exploring. The company has also weighed plans to overhaul its MobileMe service for storing pictures, videos and other content online this year, one of the people said.

Under one plan for MobileMe, the service that now costs at least $99 a year would become free. Users could store photos, contacts, e-mail and other content on Apple's servers, one person said. The content would be accessible through any wireless connection.
Discussion of Apple offering cloud-based iTunes Store content has been rampant for more than a year, driven in large part by Apple's late 2009 acquisition of streaming music firm Lala Media. CNET has, however, issued several reports over the past year outlining the slow pace of these negotiations with music labels, but it appears that things may finally be moving toward a conclusion.

Article Link: Apple Negotiating for Unlimited Music Redownloads Ahead of MobileMe Revamp

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So the labels are the reason we can't redownload? I always figured it was stupid Apple policy.

That's idiotic. Don't they figure that if we already bought it, getting another copy isn't going to hurt them financially?

I always wondered why we could redownload apps but not songs, especially since song are so tiny filesize-wise. It's insane how much control the labels wield over this sort of policy. :p

Comment

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Thisll be great for people that have a 2GB data cap on their phones. /sarcasm

I personally would rather have local storage of content, not to mention the battery life decrease that accompanies streaming content.

Comment

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
Wonder if the record labels can be brought to a position that will actually help them, despite themselves. Can they really not see that a good reason to avoid paying them for content is that they act like I am borrowing it, not buying it?

Comment

I is Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Gotta bring back unlimited data somehow or this will not help much

Comment

mrrory

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
United Kingdom of America
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What has Lala brought to applethat it didn't already have with QuickTime? Was it a case of buying it up to stop the competition?

Comment

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003

I personally would rather have local storage of content, not to mention the battery life decrease that accompanies streaming content.

Go read it again, you missed the entire point....

Comment

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
So why post here? This thread isn't about streaming content from MobileMe/iTunes.

"Bloomberg reports that Apple is talking with a number of music labels about allowing customers to download tracks purchased from the iTunes Store an unlimited number of times to any device associated with a specific iTunes Store account."

In addition to the Title of the thread, "Ahead of mobile me revamp."

Go read it again, you missed the entire point....

I understand the point, and would love to be able to download my songs multiple times. I get the point, Im adding to the topic.

Not to mention the last paragraph of the original thread "Cloud-based" iTunes. Come on people.

Comment

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
finally.

while switching computers over the years (along with hard drive issues) I have lost entire albums I bought at the iTunes store. If this goes into effect, I won't have to worry about a what if situation. I also will be inclined to get music from the iTunes store.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Sounds like an awesome value add for iDevice users...

This is where Apple is going to really compete with other solutions... it's the whole eco system that makes it almost impossible for others to catch up. Can't imagine how Samsung could offer such a wide range of services. Of course, Google will be trying to copy, but it's going to take time.

Comment

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I wonder if the cloud will be limited to itunes-purchased songs only.

While I have 15,000 songs, only maybe 1000 are from itunes.

This is where Apple is going to really compete with other solutions... it's the whole eco system that makes it almost impossible for others to catch up. Can't imagine how Samsung could offer such a wide range of services. Of course, Google will be trying to copy, but it's going to take time.

100% agree. The other companies may offer better hardware at times, but there is never a better "overall" ecosystem. Period. Apple is still a software company that makes "hardware." And they have positioned themselves @#1.

Comment

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Rating (15 Positives; 1 Negatives)

Who votes negative to this? lol

Are people just trolling?

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

Why do we not have the ability to download old purchases now is my question?

Also, after watching the iPad 2 announcement tells me they had something to show in the second half, but did not include and added filler (iMovie , GB) at the end.

Comment

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
So the labels are the reason we can't redownload? I always figured it was stupid Apple policy.

That's idiotic. Don't they figure that if we already bought it, getting another copy isn't going to hurt them financially?

Anyone know why when you buy something on Zune, all the DRM is removed and you can do whatever you want with the song. It's just like copying it off of a CD.

It seems Apple should be trying for that kind of arrangement.

Last edited:
Comment

Just sayin...

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I wonder if the cloud will be limited to itunes-purchased songs only.
While I have 15,000 songs, only maybe 1000 are from itunes.
My situation almost exactly - although the ratio is 21902/479 here. I'd be all over a MobileMe solution allowing cloud access of all iTunes songs/media.

Comment

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010

No offense, but the small minority that speaks up over the outrage of 2 and 5GB caps is just that. The reality is there are a larger number of non-power users out there and in order to get those caps pushed upward, more people need to be pushing the barrier, not just the top 5%. And on top of that, you also need to consider the top 5% margin gets pushed even further into minority when you consider the vast majority of cell phone owners that don't have data plans either.

As for the market leaders overcharging customers, it's not going to be a regulatory issue either until the majority of people are complaining to agencies like the FCC over unfair costs and portable data access is deemed critical for all citizens.

In other words, we need more reasons for everyone to have access to wireless data.

Comment

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
One step closer to the iPad+iPhone combo becoming my only computing devices.

...now if they only had Final Cut and Logic... :)

Comment

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008

Why do we not have the ability to download old purchases now is my question?

Record Companies. In there mind downloading a song == buying a cd. If you loose the cd you can't call them up (even if you had a receipt), say you lost it and expect another.

They are at this very moment, if this report is to be believed, arguing that you can have unlimited downloads or drm free music, the choice is yours. In their minds this will help enable piracy, regardless of if it is true or not.

Karl P

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.