Apple News Introduces Coverage Portal of 2018 Winter Olympics in Partnership With NBC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple News will be a go-to source for coverage of the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, which officially begin with Friday's opening ceremony, although some competition is already underway.

[​IMG]

A new section devoted to the Winter Olympics is now available within the "For You" tab of Apple News in the United States, and it will feature articles, videos, and other coverage of the games over the next two weeks.

Apple has partnered with NBC for the new section, but coverage will be provided from a variety of sources, according to Ingrid Lunden at TechCrunch. Live streams and full replays of specific events will link directly to the NBC Sports app, while clips from events will be viewable within Apple News itself.

The portal will also feature a planner for viewers to figure out when specific events are scheduled, and it will allow users to add events they want to watch to their calendars. There will also be a medal tracker and daily roundups given a 14-hour-plus time difference between South Korea and the United States.

Article Link: Apple News Introduces Coverage Portal of 2018 Winter Olympics in Partnership With NBC

2. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I saw this a couple days ago
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    It's there in the TV app

4. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

5. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

Yup. Still not avail in Canada.

I'm starting to think it might be because of the two official languages - unlike US, UK and Australia whose lone official language is English.

6. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll look for it. Just set up my new 4K ATV on Tuesday and am still getting used to the new layout.

7. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Nope, it's because CBC has the broadcast rights in Canada (shared with TSN and SportsNet), so the NBC-provded content would be in violation of that. We're not a large enough market for Apple to make local changes.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

saw this in Apple news this morning. How do I turn it off?

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Live streams from NBC? I’ll believe it when I see it.

10. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

No I'm talking about the Apple News app - It's only available in the US, UK and Australia. Not in Canada.

11. zubikov macrumors member

If previous NBC Olympics are any indication, both TV and streaming coverage will be 1/3 commercials, 1/3 talking heads narrating emotional pieces on featured athletes, and 1/3 actual footage. Have fun watching 20 minutes of mindnumbing fluff to get to 10 mins of the good stuff.

The only palatable way to watch events these days is to DVR.

12. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Unless it’s a Canadian requirement that both English and French are required I doubt that’s the case. It’s probably something a lot more mundane: NBC doesn’t have broadcast rights in Canada.

13. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Maybe it should be noted in the article that Apple News merely is nowhere available besides U.S., UK, and Australia...

14. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

Guys, I'm talking about the Apple News app - regardless of Olympics coverage or not. The app was released in 2015 - still not available in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_(Apple)

15. truthertech macrumors 65816

All broadcast TV follows the 1/3 ad to content formula, e.g., 20 minutes of ads for every hour you watch. That's why once you "cut the cord," it's mind numbing to go back to cable TV, etc.. When I travel and turn on the tv in a hotel room, it is sickening and reminds me of how bad that model is.

16. racerhomie macrumors member

racerhomie

You can just change region from Settings .
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    Do not use the app.

17. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I remember when I used to watch the Olympics. Nowadays I forget they are even around.

18. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

19. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Not on the NewsApp but on the NBCSports app we watched Curling last night. Saw the Olympic trials here in Omaha last November and was curious how the US mixed doubles team, the Hamilton’s, would do. They are either brother/sister or married. Technically the Olympics hadn’t started yet, but some events were on last night (Wednesday).

Not a lot of commercials but I imagine there wasn’t a huge audience either. Wouldn’t want to watch it once a week on a regular basis but I enjoyed it last November and still did last night so I’ll probably try to catch a few more matches.

Not NBC’s fault but low res sucks for streaming.

20. videoholic macrumors newbie

21. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502a

Sports, even the olympics is a profit oriented endeavor. While many of the athletes and civic minded volunteers don't make money, everyone else wants to make a LOT of MONEY. That money comes from commercials.

22. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Oh, ya, that one is odd. Even more so because the News lockscreen widget is available and has Canadian news sources.

23. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

I can, but that ****s up my dates, currency and other stuff that is region dependent.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Fixed that for ya. We don't actually have an official language.
    /back to your regularly scheduled programming.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I like the app. I do not like a particular story forced on me. I can turn every other topic on or off but not the Olympics? That’s ridiculous.