Apple News Introduces Coverage Portal of 2018 Winter Olympics in Partnership With NBC

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Guys, I'm talking about the Apple News app - regardless of Olympics coverage or not. The app was released in 2015 - still not available in Canada.
It's with a trick
Settings/General/Language&Region/Region set it as United States and you will have Apple News ;)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
It's with a trick
Settings/General/Language&Region/Region set it as United States and you will have Apple News ;)

Ya I know but then it messes up about half a dozen other things. Not a viable workaround.
What?
Examples please

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Are the Winter Olympics that big outside the US/ specific parts of the US? Maybe its just a fact of being in Arizona, but no one around me is talking about the Winter Olympics, I don't even know what sports are played at the Winter Olympics or the could not name one Winter Olympic sports star.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nope, it's because CBC has the broadcast rights in Canada (shared with TSN and SportsNet), so the NBC-provded content would be in violation of that. We're not a large enough market for Apple to make local changes.
Canada has been a large enough market for just about every US channel to broadcast here since the late 60’s (NBC, ABC, Buffalo 29 remember that one?). So I don’t think it’s about the market. Think about it, a potential 26 million adults nationwide in Canada, and we’re predisposed to winter sports considering we had 2(?) original NHL teams (I maybe mistaken there), and have participated in almost every Winter Olympics. I don’t think these stations would want to give up on an extra 20million+ of ad income.

Unless it’s a Canadian requirement that both English and French are required I doubt that’s the case. It’s probably something a lot more mundane: NBC doesn’t have broadcast rights in Canada.
Most likely this is the case, along with protections in place to have Canadian stations get rights to broadcast here.

Guys, I'm talking about the Apple News app - regardless of Olympics coverage or not. The app was released in 2015 - still not available in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_(Apple)
The Apple News app is integrated into the Today screen on iOS since v10. I don’t see the singular app though.
[doublepost=1518153254][/doublepost]
It's with a trick

What?
Examples please
For starters measurements, and language (favourite vs favorite) all without the native apps. I’m sure there is more.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
If the trick with changing region gave me the app and then stayed on device after changing back it would be a viable solution.

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
For starters measurements, and language (favourite vs favorite) all without the native apps. I’m sure there is more.
It's just the Region Settings and doesn't affect anything else.
iPad Language is English(Canada)
Temperature unit is set to Celsius
Since the year Apple News came out I'm good with it and never had a problem
[doublepost=1518560799][/doublepost]
If the trick with changing region gave me the app and then stayed on device after changing back it would be a viable solution.
As I wrote before: no issues whatsoever
But if you change region back, Apple News disappears
[doublepost=1518561104][/doublepost]
Ya I know but then it messes up about half a dozen other things. Not a viable workaround.
Not true: have you tried it?

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U