Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
So why is 5s not affected according to Apple, but 6 is? Lithium tech is the same right? The issue isn’t as simple as you or Apple wants it to be.

The 5s is more prone to "crashes" as it ages, which is exactly the point here. Presumably they got to the point where they could better control the power/performance ratio in newer phones/IOS versions. But since American society has taught us we must assume the worst in people we get this crap...

Reactions: Rangertuf

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
And the consolidated lawsuit will fail just as sixty would have.

What's going to be funny is seeing how many people who weren't even affected by this issue get extremely upset about this lawsuit failing. It's almost as if good news about Apple is actually bad news.

They did. That's why they put the slowdown there. When battery has less juice, you go slow and last out a day, or you take the risk of sudden failure and loss of data. They'll give you the choice soon. You'll pick a slowdown unless you're nuts.

And this is what I think will sink the lawsuits. I'm betting Apple tracks the number of users who choose either method. If most people choose the slowdown then it proves Apple made the right decision for the majority of their users.

The only thing Apple did wrong was not properly tell people. And I'm not sure how that's worth any money/compensation.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
This will never see the inside of a courtroom for trial. At most it will be settled for a tiny amount. Apple didn't break any laws. They were not straightforward or honest, but nothing illegal.

What if Apple had done nothing and just let phones start randomly crashing? Do you not think that there would have been a class action lawsuit?

And why weren't they straight forward? Because they would have had to acknowledge a defect.

But you are right, no laws were broken, but this is not a criminal case it's a civil case, and one Apple will lose.

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
Are you? What do you want? A phone that slows down when you need a battery, or one that crashes and loses data?

Did you even knew your iPhone was slowed down because of the battery before Apple got caught? People were buying new devices when they only needed a new batteries, Apple knew about this and they were happy about that $$$. Even if you knew, you do understad that random shutdows because of crappy or underpoweed batteries is also bad right?

Everbody was actually blind before.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
What's going to be funny is seeing how many people who weren't even affected by this issue get extremely upset about this lawsuit failing. It's almost as if good news about Apple is actually bad news.

And this is what I think will sink the lawsuits. I'm betting Apple tracks the number of users who choose either method. If most people choose the slowdown then it proves Apple made the right decision for the majority of their users.

The only thing Apple did wrong was not properly tell people. And I'm not sure how that's worth any money/compensation.

How did the choice end up between crashes and slowdowns?

When a battery ages, it doesn't last as long, period. It shouldn't reduce performance, it shouldn't crash, it should just empty quicker.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I've thought about these lawsuits, and their ilk, and here's what I do if I support a company that gets hit with them:

I join in the class, and when I get my check from them, I buy more of their products.

The way I figure it, someone is getting the money, and I may as well feed it back into the company I like.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
A lot of people here are confusing filing a class action with winning a class action settlement. They're years away from that, even on the unlikely chance these continue to be allowed to move forward.

Accusation and guilt are two different things. Remember that.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
I just LOVED how my “dead-and-dying” iPhone 6 slowed to a ridiculous crawl after 10.2.1. Then, after downloading the 10.3.4 betas, welllllll...... it’s screaming like it did before, with 80% battery capacity that can actually hold a charge through the overnight hours, and no crashing.

I love Apple but I hope these lawsuits take a big bite out of the arrogance they showed to their unwitting customers.
Do you mean 11.3 betas?? There was never an iOS 10.3.4

Reactions: MandiMac

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Some very naive and misinformed comments bordering on ignorant. I understand product loyalty short of wearing an Apple Baseball Cap 24/7 and stickering my Car's bumper with the supplied apple stickers from purchases but this class action lawsuit is no joke and w Apples admission it just further insures that there will be payouts or some form of settlement on Apples behalf. A righteous and honorable thing to do as well as keeping the customer from straying would be to offer a substantial discount coupon on future purchases.
This has been a complete PR nightmare for Apple and i'm sure their legal team is trying to make the negative publicity go away asap. Regardless IMHO its been happening for a long time and again IMHO they very well could have been doing it with computers as well. From my personal experience I had 2 MB Airs (2011 & 2014) that after some time and upgrading to a new iOS build both the motherboard and HD mysteriously fried (no major wear on both machines. just basics). 2x's this happened. My iPhone 6plus was also the victim of this unsavory practice courtesy of Apple. Serious indictments I admit but they are strictly and solely my personal opinion based on my personal experience and after serious consideration "coincidence" did not enter the equation.
My Macbook Pro w Touchbar only gets a OS upgrade up to 2 years. After that forget it.

Last edited:
Reactions: asv56kx3088

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
This is getting ridiculous. Apple will likely settle these cases if they have any merit to being with. A horde of greedy people with the army of their lawyers are about to enrich themselves while making the products we all love more expensive for the rest of us.

This is really annoying. It's a feature. Not a fault.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
I think it's more about them not telling anyone they slowed down people's devices.
CPU throttling is common practice. No PC manufacturer ever tells their users that their PC's are not running as fast because they have to replace the thermal paste on their CPU's....

I personally think companies should tell their users, but if Apple is going under for this, so should all other companies.

Reactions: deanthedev

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
What is astounding is the lack of technological education that people should have in the 21st century.

ALL ABOARD! The $$money train$$ is about to leave the station.

Apple will be paying out 100's of M's in settlements.

I think Apple will be fined big time and will have to make restitution to millions of users.

The "fix" was made to avoid having to recall millions of iPhones that were defective.

A phone that crashes because the battery is aging is a defect in design and/or manufacturing.

That was mistake number 1. - NOT. It's what batteries do over time, they FAIL.

Then they tried to cover up the defect by slipping some software that prevented it by reducing performance.

That was mistake 2. - No, Apple was attempting to prevent dropped calls and data loss due to lowered battery capability.

Then they didn't tell anyone about mistake 1 or 2.

That was mistake 3.

No way they are coming out of this unscathed.

Are you a lawyer? or are you the judge and jury?

I don't understand why people are even bothering with this. As far as I know, EVERY single device that works on battery experiences this behaviour as battery starts to age.

Personally I think it is only valid if Apple slowed a phone even if it had a good battery, which is not the case.

Next we will see "class action lawsuit" against supermarkets because milk bottle ran out of milk.

My flashlights will act wonky from time to time. Replacing or recharging the batteries solves the problem.

Actually, I know people who throw away good machines because they don't know how to repair them - or simply re-set a circuit breaker. And I know people who take their phones in to have someone in the phone store update their OS for them, even after receiving step-by-step instructions on how to update themselves.

Reactions: Slix

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Are you? What do you want? A phone that slows down when you need a battery, or one that crashes and loses data?

And you can't sue just because a company handled something 'badly' - you have to demonstrate actual received harm from this.

Reactions: deanthedev

ToneDriver

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
I got a new battery put into my 6 last week. I don't feel like this new battery lasts any longer than my old one did. I don't have data or specific testing to prove this, just seems to have the same amount of juice left at the end of a day as I always do.

So do I need to adjust my expectations of this new battery? Should it last as long as it did when my 6 was new? Or does the software in the aging phone limit the battery life that's possible? I'm glad it was only $29, but it seems like it didn't do a lot of good...thoughts?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Makes me so happy that they finally got caught. Been saying this for years and so many people on here were so quick to defend them, sayings its just a conspiracy. I hope apple gets what's coming to them.

Which, chances are if any recent class action lawsuits are anything to go buy, will range from nothing to a quick metaphorical slap on the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.