Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I'm curious...how do you know when it's time to replace the tip? Hopefully you're not using your pencil and it suddenly scratches your screen :(

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Why are they designed to pop out and be easily user replaceable though? maybe there is a certain feature i'm missing?
To replace if it wears out one day or you damage it in some way.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Can I use it with regular pencils?
If it fits why not. It won't be recognize by the tablet though. This is not a capacity only pen.
[doublepost=1458607250][/doublepost]
I'm curious...how do you know when it's time to replace the tip? Hopefully you're not using your pencil and it suddenly scratches your screen :(
When it breaks. Some people have a stronger pen to paper pressure than others.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Why buy Apple pencil when u could just buy these tips and put it on your fingers and start writing.

Reactions: GreyOS

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Seems like an area ripe for third parties though. And small risk if they happen to be garbage :) (unless it's a tip made of sandpaper).

OH!MAC™

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
at that price just get a second pencil and use the spare that comes with it

that's how i'd spend my cash as well. open box pencil for $86 or $20 for "just the tip". if you could replace the battery i'd just buy parts. at some point you're going to need a new pencil.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
that's how i'd spend my cash as well. open box pencil for $86 or $20 for "just the tip". if you could replace the battery i'd just buy parts. at some point you're going to need a new pencil.

Does the pencil work while it's charging? If so maybe eventually you will have to just "tether" the pencil to the lightning port and make it corded. :D:D

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
While I agree that these are overpriced, the design and application of the Apple Pencil doesn't equate to nearly as high wear as that of a Wacom pen. Wacom pen nibs tend to last a few months at most and require the user to continually rotate in order to avoid uneven wear. They are roughly 1 mm thick and are no more than a piece of plastic extrusion with one end rounded off. The basic ones cost $5 per 5 pack, but I won't use anything other than the more expensive (and harder to find) stroke nibs ($10/5) and flex nibs (surprisingly only $5/5). In the end, they still have Wacom beat in terms of value, functionality and technology.

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/store/nibs/standard-nibs#tab_overview

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
They should've also announced this in the keynote today. Would've really tipped this event as one of the most boring.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
They should've also announced this in the keynote today. Would've really tipped this event as one of the most boring.
I found it interesting that they confined they will be retiring the venue giving confirmation the next two events (iOS and iPhone) will be at either pop ups of hired venues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I found it interesting that they confined they will be retiring the venue giving confirmation the next two events (iOS and iPhone) will be at either pop ups of hired venues.
Well, iOS is basically at WWDC which has historically been in San Francisco, and iPhone has been in various places, so realistically it was more likely to be elsewhere even if they didn't announce anything.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Hi can this article author or someone else explain the need for tip replacement? I've not used the Pencil before.

Is it because you can lose them? Why? Do you ever need to remove the tip? Do they get loose?

Is it because they break? Or wear out? Is this a feature? Why is Apple not replacing them on warranty?

What's the deal here?

If you don't keep your screen clean they can get dirty with time. Finger and hand oils get on the screen and over time the Pencil tip can start to show some wear. Most won't ever need to replace their tip but it's a nice option to have for those of us that like everything to stay nice and new looking all the time.
[doublepost=1458612486][/doublepost]ITT we have a bunch of people complaining about the price of something they have absolutely no use for.

Those of us with the Pencil understand that it'll almost never need a replacement tip and those without are enjoying wasting time crying about something that doesn't impact them.

Reactions: HelenAllen

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Great environmental record Apple. What a waste of resources and plastic going to landfill and into the oceans. Such poor design. What hypocrites you are Apple.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If you don't keep your screen clean they can get dirty with time. Finger and hand oils get on the screen and over time the Pencil tip can start to show some wear. Most won't ever need to replace their tip but it's a nice option to have for those of us that like everything to stay nice and new looking all the time.
[doublepost=1458612486][/doublepost]ITT we have a bunch of people complaining about the price of something they have absolutely no use for.

Those of us with the Pencil understand that it'll almost never need a replacement tip and those without are enjoying wasting time crying about something that doesn't impact them.

I love how you're implying only dirty-handed deviants will be punished by this pricing scheme. Serves them right for not keeping their screen clean like you do.

The real answer is that the pencil is pressure sensitive so artists will sometimes press very hard while they work and the tip will eventually wear to an uncomfortable shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.