Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a good idea if they were to produce some others styles/colors of the pencils? Maybe there would be a few people who would want to have more than one, or would like a silver/black/space gray one instead. I don't know just a thought.
Seems childish.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I love how you're implying only dirty-handed deviants will be punished by this pricing scheme. Serves them right for not keeping their screen clean like you do.

The real answer is that the pencil is pressure sensitive so artists will sometimes press very hard while they work and the tip will eventually wear to an uncomfortable shape.

Even those of us that press very hard shouldn't see wear for a long time. I use my Pencil very frequently throughout the day and press fairly hard at times and have seen absolutely no sign of wear at this point.

I didn't mean that just those with dirty hands will see possible build up. As I also said, natural oils from your hands touching the screen will eventually get on the tip and some could want to do away with any buildup, rather than simply washing it or wiping it clean.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I was thinking they looked like something else, but I will go with your wording ;)
I can't believe you're the first person to bring up the elephant in the room. When I saw the photo in my feed, I totally thought this would be an article about what those tips resemble.

I honestly don't think $20 is unreasonable for the utility you get out of this product. Are the tips really so fragile that you'd have to replace it more than once every few years? Assuming you don't lose the other three in the pack, that's less than $5 a year over the lifetime of the product.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Arguments about the quality of these rubber tips vs. replacement tips for other devices at lower prices are moot, anyway.

What this comes down to is one simple thing: If you're getting a lot of use out of your Apple pencil (to the point where you actually wore the tip down), they're asking you to give them another $19 to be able to keep using it with fresh tips for 4x as long as you just did.

If the pencil was worth the $100 or so you paid for it to begin with, it's quite probably worth spending another $19 on it to keep it functional for a long time to come.

That, or wait until someone creates 3rd. party knock-off tip replacements and hope they're as good?

No no... It is not just a rubber tips... This thing is designed by Apple, specially made by rubber and it is top quality. Think about it, you get 4 tips for just 20 dollars... It is 5 dollar each... For less than 2 cups of coffee, it allows you draw stuff on that magical glass and metal slab. How can you say it is overpriced.

Remember, Apple is not in business to do charity work, it is in business to charge as much as they could and milking people for every possible way. And also remember, you pay for the quality. Everything Apple made are automatically top quality, so you pay for that quality.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
The pencil comes with a replacement tip in the box, I was very grateful for this when i dropped mine when leaving the house and it arrowed into the floor like a lawn dart, smushing the nib and making it unusable.

I have also been immensely paranoid this would happen again and i'd be stuck without the pencil that I use every day. So happy these are our and think the price of £15 for 4 is actually pretty decent seeing as they're more than just a nib of plastic.

Really 4 should keep you going the duration of your iPad / pencil. Unless you're really careless.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Apple can't just turn off friction.
There must be some other material that is more durable and provides less friction that doesn't damage the iPad. Apple went cheap and nasty and expect their customers to make up the shortfall.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
There must be some other material that is more durable and provides less friction that doesn't damage the iPad. Apple went cheap and nasty and expect their customers to make up the shortfall.
You haven't use a drawing stylus before, have you? They all have nibs that need replacing every once and awhile. Even the $2800 Wacom Cintiq 27QHD.

Reactions: subjonas

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
You haven't use a drawing stylus before, have you? They all have nibs that need replacing every once and awhile. Even the $2800 Wacom Cintiq 27QHD.
What has using a drawing stylus have anything to do with finding some other material that is more durable? And for the record yes I do use drawing styli.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a good idea if they were to produce some others styles/colors of the pencils? Maybe there would be a few people who would want to have more than one, or would like a silver/black/space gray one instead. I don't know just a thought.

If the Pencil gets more popular, I think it's bound to happen.

Seems like an area ripe for third parties though. And small risk if they happen to be garbage :) (unless it's a tip made of sandpaper).

Yeah seems pretty easy for third parties to make. I'm actually really hoping Apple or a third party makes different types of replacement tips (made from different materials). The rubber on these tips are really hard and smooth which makes it slippery when drawing/writing. I prefer something with more friction, closer to pencil and paper. It will mean having to replace the tip more often, but having better control is much more valuable to me. Something similar to the hard felt nibs sold by Wacom would be ideal.

Less friction?? I want MORE friction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.