Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite only being released in November, sales of the M1-powered MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini now represent the majority of Mac sales, outperforming Mac computers powered by Intel processors, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

m1-mac-family.jpg

Cook made the remarks during Apple's "Spring Loaded" event yesterday, where it introduced a completely redesigned 24-inch iMac powered by the M1 Apple silicon chip. Cook says that the M1 and Apple silicon "isn't just an upgrade, but a breakthrough," while touting Mac's industry-leading customer satisfaction.

Apple announced at WWDC 2020 that it would embark on a two-year-long transition to its own silicon for its entire Mac lineup, breaking away from Intel. With the launch of the first Apple silicon-powered iMac yesterday, Apple now sells four Mac computers powered by Apple silicon. Alongside them, Apple continues to sell a 16 and 13-inch MacBook Pro, 21.5-and 27-inch iMac, and the high-end Mac Pro, all with Intel processors.

According to Cook, the four M1-powered Macs now outperform the five remaining Intel-powered computers in its lineup in terms of sales. During the keynote, Cook's comment went largely unnoticed but is likely to be a key point the CEO makes during Apple's upcoming earnings call, which is being held on April 28.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling More M1 Macs Than Intel-Based Models, Says Tim Cook

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I'm surprised by the lower 8 GB ram. Is that because the M1 is so power efficient that we don't need a pile of Ram?

I use my MP for photo editing (Capture One - who are working on a native M1 version) and occasional video editing (although could be more if it wasn't choppy now).

I might jump on a 27" iMac someday. Or a newer Mac Pro.
For now I'm holding on, but it's 8 years old and starting to chunk a bit with larger files (12 core, tons of Ram). I'd love to see the efficiency difference between an M1 iMac. Hopefully there will be YT reviews (by power users) soon enough.

Cheers,
Brian

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
M1 replaced the entry level machines for Air, Pro and mini, which I assume were already the best sellers over the more expensive options in the categories so this doesn't surprise me too much.
Exactly. Entry level models tend to sell more than more expensive models to begin with. Thus anyone looking for the cheapest MacBook will default to the M1 MacBook Air. This might not be due to the M1 itself. If Apple kept a cheaper Intel model around, that one might be selling more.

Reactions: windowsblowsass

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm surprised by the lower 8 GB ram. Is that because the M1 is so power efficient that we don't need a pile of Ram?

I use my MP for photo editing (Capture One - who are working on a native M1 version) and occasional video editing (although could be more if it wasn't choppy now).

I might jump on a 27" iMac someday. Or a newer Mac Pro.
For now I'm holding on, but it's 8 years old and starting to chunk a bit with larger files (12 core, tons of Ram). I'd love to see the efficiency difference between an M1 iMac. Hopefully there will be YT reviews (by power users) soon enough.

Cheers,
Brian
The default 8GB RAM is just a planned obsolescence tactic by Apple. The M1 has such great performance that consumers might stick with it for a long time, so Apple put 8GB RAM as default to increase wear and tear on the SSD. Since users cannot upgrade the RAM nor SSD themselves, people will end up having to just replace the whole computer sooner.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I will probably end up getting an iMac regardless of the awful design and lack of a dark bezel and frame.
I can’t use my 2012 classic forever, or can I?

Reactions: DanTSX

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I will probably end up getting an iMac regardless of the awful design and lack of a dark bezel and frame.
I can’t use my 2012 classic forever, or can I?
Don't know why you couldn't. You can use it as long as it works or until it dies. The best thing is, that you can upgrade the RAM in that 2012 model and also the SATA drive...

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
We’re almost at the halfway mark into the two year transition period. Isn’t it weird that only M1 models have been released? I’m not on the market for a new computer, but on the other hand I’m really curious to see the more powerful chips. Yesterday’s event was a bit of a letdown on that regard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.