Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling a new third-party accessory for its MagSafe ecosystem, a folding stand from OtterBox priced at $39.95. The hinged stand includes a recessed area to house a user-provided MagSafe Charger and a slot for routing the cable through the stand and out the back.

otterbox-magsafe-folding-stand.jpg

The folding design is convenient for travel and lets you set your desired angle for nightstand viewing, video calls, and more in either portrait or landscape orientation. When folded completely back into a horizontal position, it can serve as a traditional Qi charger for non-MagSafe devices such as AirPods or other smartphones.

At $39.95 for the stand and an additional $39.00 for Apple's MagSafe Charger, it's not an inexpensive charging solution, but the removable charger setup does offer flexibility to only use the stand when needed.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling OtterBox Folding Stand for MagSafe Charger

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
This story should carry a trigger warning. Why? I'm getting flashbacks to all the times I've splurged on some accessory, especially a third party accessory, only to have Apple change the physical design or the connector a few months later.
:(

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Apple Marketing is beyond brilliant. They are doing the same as with the AW chargers, a proprietary design that no one has successfully (or lawfully) copied. Now they have the exclusivity of 15W charging, and third party manufacturers aren't even trying to design something better or "Made for iPhone". Instead we are know witnessing a batch of "stands". Incredible cheap to made and design, plastic or metal pieces, but with a gigantic price tag.

Case in point Nomad. Magsafe mount: $99.95 (not charger included). Base Station Stand: $99.95 a 7.5W stand charger, with 2 coils, a fabric covered USB-C cable and a charger included.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
The belkin 2in1 magsafe for 79 bucks (20% off) is a much better solution. Have it sitting on my desk. I'm very happy with it.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
> it's not an inexpensive charging solution

You can just say "it's an expensive charging solution" :)
$80 feels like a lot when you can pay probably 1/4 that to buy a comparable qi charger.

I guess you get faster charging, but despite how much accessory makers and Apple are pushing that down our throats, I personally don't find it a huge factor most of the time. Every once in a while I really need to get my phone up to a decent charge before I walk out the door but otherwise "slow" charging is working just fine for me.

mikeyteh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
I bought an Apple Watch stand that required a user provided charging cord on Amazon for like $5. I'll wait for "TROMBO" or "DULARD" or whatever 6 letter all caps Chinese company comes along on Amazon to make a version that isn't a rip off. Either include the charging capability or cut your retail price by at least 75%.

Reactions: dabotsonline

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
> it's not an inexpensive charging solution

You can just say "it's an expensive charging solution" :)

Or you could just say what they said, since part of the beauty of language is we have more than one way of saying things. Saying something is "not x" where x is a word with a negating prefix is a common pattern that has a slightly sarcastic edge to it. For example, "The changes the company is making to the factory are not insignificant." Or "Your brother isn't exactly unknown in this town."

Reactions: msackey

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
With so many lawsuits these days, I initially read the headline as "Apple Now Suing Otterbox..."

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
it might be just me, but all these wireless charging stations just don't hold any appeal. gotta plug that in anyway...why not just use a normal plug in and cord?
You're not wrong. Also, wireless charging uses more electricity than wired charging. One might even go so far as to say that wireless charging uses more electricity than necessary.

As in, "wastes" elecrtricity and natural resources. My home is powered by oil. No, I don't have barrels of the stuff in my back yard, lol. But at least I'm aware of the fuel source that provides my electricity. Yours may be powered by nuclear. Or coal. Or hydro or wind or solar.

But waste is waste. All technology customers need to come to terms with that, including the high falutin'. ?

Me, I'm low falutin', which is another way of saying that I may or may not care about minor waste. Wireless charging is sometimes more convenient for me. And I can't keep my watch charged without it. But at least I'm not hypocritical. I just like to point out hypocracy when I see it. Yeah, so sue me. Excuse me while I go put my phone on the QI charger... ?

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
A device like should be no more than, what, $10? $15? $20? It's not an actual charger, but a stand.
Yeah, but it was made with the best Gold-pressed Unobtanium available, and made by the hands of angels while sitting atop God's best herd of multi-lingual unicorns!

Ya gotta expect a premium for all THAT! ??

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
MagSafe is dumb.

$40 to keep your $40 charging puck from dropping off your phone and dinging your tabletop

“Wireless charging” that takes two hands to detach.?

All of the actually useful applications are not fully supported by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.