Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
In what way? Since we’d had six years of iPhones by this point, I don’t really get how basically an iPhone with no cellular capabilities was ahead of its time?
The design language was ahead of its time (somewhat). Remember, this was before the era of flat bottom aluminum designs with chamfered edges like the first iPad mini and iPad Air, or the one-piece aluminum back of iPhone 6. Also if I remember correctly this was the first non black/white iOS device Apple made.

Reactions: primarycolors

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
RIP! Ahead of it's time in 2013.
not really. The A5 in mine was already getting really sluggish on iOS7. Even simple tasks like opening the music app hesitated a bit. The camera was a nice upgrade over the previous generation's joke

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Eventually they will be gone. Forever. Hard to believe. I am hoping for a an 'uber-Pod', with terabyte capacity. I mean, even if nothing else, just to do it. It could be a device that just rocks the world of huge capacity devices. If they wanted to do it right, they would make it look like the original iPod, and just make it with massive storage. Go out BIG! HUGE! GALACTIC SIZED!!!

But it will never happen. Sadly...

Reactions: ambientdaw

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I really wish Apple would keep an iPod touch around for those people who do not want a phone, but a small device to play music & use apps. For example: parents with young children.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZMacintosh

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Why is this product still around? Who buys it and why?

I traveled a lot, and used the iPod instead of arriving with a dead iPhone. It worked very well. Back then, I couldn't depend on a long haul having power outlets, and if the plane did, that they actually worked. The iPod was a genius device, and if humanity gets on top of the pandemic, I look forward to using it on more wanderings.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I'm very curious to know the type of business and how you use them. Also, what was the pull towards an Apple product versus something else?
warehouses, retail shops, etc. they're more "programmable". ie; a large company already builds in-house apps its much easier to port over to iOS then it is to buy and configure other unrelated devices. security, one less network point of entry on the device and can be managed. these are just a few limited capacities it can be used in.

home automation is another, cheap way to use these. easier to hold then an iPad mini to manage home theater or hifi setups.

I like using it for home hifi set up and storing music to take with on a car or trip. keep the phone out of the way and/or not to drain battery

just depends....people can make it work for whatever and however they want.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Eventually they will be gone. Forever. Hard to believe. I am hoping for a an 'uber-Pod', with terabyte capacity. I mean, even if nothing else, just to do it. It could be a device that just rocks the world of huge capacity devices. If they wanted to do it right, they would make it look like the original iPod, and just make it with massive storage. Go out BIG! HUGE! GALACTIC SIZED!!!

But it will never happen. Sadly...
We already have SD and microSD cards that are with 1TB storage so I don't think if ever they manufacture one, it will not be as big as the classic iPod... I've seen some people from YouTube replace the old HDD with an SD card and an adapter so I think you want it for a bigger battery and not for ton of storage since as we all know in terms of data access speeds HDDs are no match for flash storage...

leslieg

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
I'm very curious to know the type of business and how you use them. Also, what was the pull towards an Apple product versus something else?
I work for a movie theatre and iPads and iPod touches are used for a variety of functions, as our POS system has several iOS-compatible apps. The iPod touches are mainly used to scan guests’ tickets (inside a scanner case). They can also be used to communicate and view schedules etc.
Why Apple? I don’t know, but it’s a neat solution

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
If only these came with decent amounts of storage, or were upgradeable. My old iPod Classic is still going and has been upgraded with 1TB of storage. I'd be happy to switch to a Touch if they had 512GB or more of storage.

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
The 5th and 6th generation models are so nice to hold and are great for smaller hands, children or a more pocketable device. Its a shame the 5th only goes to iOS 9.3.5 - hardly any apps support that now.
My kids have the 6th Gen and will be receiving 7th Gen models this Christmas from me, much easier for them to carry around and keep in their pockets then their iPads.
My kids both loved their iPods, I was pretty salty however that I bought the 6th gen iPod touch for my daughter right before the 7th gen was announced, and Apple for whatever reason didn’t include the 6th gen in the iOS 12 release pool. So within 6 months of her receiving it, and with a year and a half of AppleCare remaining, it was already rendered obsolete.

The ex and I got them new iPads this past year so that took care of the obsolete issue, but I’m never again buying something from Apple that isn’t within a few months of its release.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
5th gen iPod touch should have stayed on iOS 6.x, 6th gen iPod touch should have stayed on iOS 10.x, 7th gen iPod touch should have stayed on iOS 14.x

I have bought a pre-owned 5th gen iPod touch 32GB and I was surprised to see that it is still in 100% health using Battery Life app... I'm not sure if the battery has been replaced since it does not look like it... Since it is limited to iOS 9.x and many apps limiting support to iOS 10.x and newer, the 5th gen iPod touch is slow and barely usable since there are only a handful of apps supporting iOS 9.x and older...

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
My kids both loved their iPods, I was pretty salty however that I bought the 6th gen iPod touch for my daughter right before the 7th gen was announced, and Apple for whatever reason didn’t include the 6th gen in the iOS 12 release pool. So within 6 months of her receiving it, and with a year and a half of AppleCare remaining, it was already rendered obsolete.

The ex and I got them new iPads this past year so that took care of the obsolete issue, but I’m never again buying something from Apple that isn’t within a few months of its release.
I think you're mistaking the 6th gen as the 5th gen... iOS 12.x is the last version available for 6th gen iPod touch...

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Meh. It’s an iPhone without cellular, or an iPads extra mini.

Apple keeps it around because it’s the end of the product line that brought Apple devices to consumers that were not Apple computer owners.

I miss the simplicity of the old click wheel iPods. You could intuitively scroll through selections without even looking at the device, and the shake to shuffle music feature was great. They also sounded better than anything short of a 11/12 paired with AirPod pros.
I charged up my older 160 GB classic iPod and tried to connect it to my 2019 accord. The accord had no idea what to do with the iPod. I really have no use for the three old iPods I still have because of that now. Four years ago I was still using the iPod in my car daily.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
The good thing about iOS is you can make the iPod touch focus on whatever you want. You can delete all the other apps and only have music on the Home Screen. Even better, you can lock the iPod into just the music app with guided access.
True, I meant something like an iPod - iPod.... not ipod touch, music and internet for music... like a dap.

Something that does not become os obsoleted and something where the cost is on hardware for music not for everything else, I would be ok with NO touch screen. a 2021 version of the classic iPod, with internet for streaming and bt.

Last edited:

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
I think you're mistaking the 6th gen as the 5th gen... iOS 12.x is the last version available for 6th gen iPod touch...
I actually misidentified the iOS version, it is on 12 but won’t go to 13. Thanks for pointing out my error. My point is that I found it ridiculous that the OS major version it shipped with is the only one it’ll run.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I actually misidentified the iOS version, it is on 12 but won’t go to 13. Thanks for pointing out my error. My point is that I found it ridiculous that the OS major version it shipped with is the only one it’ll run.
I understand where you're coming from but I did a Wikipedia search and the 6th gen iPod touch was initially on iOS 8.4 then can only update to iOS 12.x

At least 2GB RAM was required for iOS 13.x and that is why the 6th gen iPod touch was only up to iOS 12.x

It seems that as time went on Apple focused their attention more on iPhone than the iPod touch and for that we no longer have the predictability of the release of the new iPod touch unlike the iPhone which is released yearly...

If that is how you feel with the purchase of 6th gen iPod touch on its last year of availability as a new device, then how much more for those who buy flagship android phones that has less number of years of support in terms of update compared to Apple or only has 1 new android version available for them?

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
not surprised, with 16 GB it must be full before even putting many apps on it. At least that's the case on my old 6S nowadays. I have literally 1 3rd party App on it and there is not enough room to install a OTA Update. Blows my mind that the first iPhone had like 4GB?
Keep in mind that apps in the iOS ≤6 eras were significantly smaller and less bloated than they are now, and 16GB was actually pretty passable. Back then most apps were under 100MB.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
I have a 4th gen in my car, but honestly a USB stick has better integration with my 2013 Toyota stereo so I don't use it anymore.

My old car didn't have USB or AUX so I had the iPod and a cassette adapter. :D Jeeze I've had that thing a long time.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
warehouses, retail shops, etc. they're more "programmable". ie; a large company already builds in-house apps its much easier to port over to iOS then it is to buy and configure other unrelated devices. security, one less network point of entry on the device and can be managed. these are just a few limited capacities it can be used in.

home automation is another, cheap way to use these. easier to hold then an iPad mini to manage home theater or hifi setups.

I like using it for home hifi set up and storing music to take with on a car or trip. keep the phone out of the way and/or not to drain battery

just depends....people can make it work for whatever and however they want.
This is exactly it. I know a bunch of large organizations that use these cheap iPods as single app handheld devices. Warehouses for inventory (The iPod clicks into scanner hardware, becoming a larger unit), roaming POS in stores.

I think these were sold more for commercial purposes then family uses. Especially the cheapest 16GB versions. If you are using these in an industrial setting, and only need one app, why pay for more storage?

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.