Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its vintage and obsolete products list with three additional products: the Time Capsule (4th generation), AirPort Extreme (5th generation), and the Mac Pro (Mid 2010).

Mac_Pro-time-capsule-800x400.jpg

The Mac Pro and two wireless routers listed above are now classified by the company as vintage in the United States and Turkey, and obsolete in the rest of the world. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five but less than seven years. Macs and other products on the vintage and obsolete list are generally no longer eligible for hardware service.

Apple radically redesigned the Mac Pro in 2013, but a new high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro machine is in the works and will debut after 2017. As customers wait for a new Mac Pro, current machines have seen a significant price drop. The 4-core Mac Pro has been discontinued, and the 6-core machine is now available at entry-level pricing.

Apple dismantled its wireless router division last year, sending engineers who worked on the AirPort line-up into other product teams, including one that works on Apple TV. Currently, Apple still sells the AirPort Express ($99) and high-rise 6th-generation AirPort Extreme ($199) wireless routers. The company also sells one wireless router with built-in network-attached storage - the AirPort Time Capsule in 2TB ($299) and 3TB ($399) capacities - but the device hasn't seen a refresh since 2013.

Article Link: Apple Obsoletes 2010 Mac Pro, Time Capsule (4th Gen) and AirPort Extreme (5th Gen)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
My now obsolete TimeCapsule 2TB is still chugging along.

My 3rd gen 1TB is still chugging along fine at the MIL's nearly 8 years on. I often forget about it but its by far my oldest piece of Apple tech (and a free replacement for my failed 500GB first gen one)

Reactions: GreginNJ

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
This thread reminds me I am still using a 3rd generation Time Capsule I bought back in 2009. Works perfectly and still on the original hard drive.

Reactions: GreginNJ

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
My 3rd gen 1TB is still chugging along fine at the MIL's nearly 8 years on. I often forget about it but its by far my oldest piece of Apple tech (and a free replacement for my failed 500GB first gen one)
They really do "just work" (unless they fail :p) . Set them up and forget about them – not something you can say about every Apple product these days.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Well that’s not cool. When Apple marks accessories obsolete they usually pull them from the management apps too. That means I’ll have to watch for Airport Utility app updates and not apply them or lose access to my device.

On the Mac side you can have versions, but in iOS land they just push an update with sketchy notes and you’re support is gone with no way to get the old one.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
My 2008 Mac Pro still works great even if it is stuck at el capitan.
Same for my 2009 Mac Pro - I am hoping the next years "Modular" Mac Pro will have the same ability to continually add larger storage capacity as I have on my 9 year old Mac Pro, which currently can have 40+ TerraBytes of internal storage, including a fast SSD boot drive that didn't exist in '09, Blu-ray drive Apple never supported, etc. etc.
[doublepost=1509966291][/doublepost]
Still using an early 2009 with High Sierra and Titan X Graphics. Still runs well :) Will Apple ever offer a desktop MacPro like the old ones? I dare to hope...but I believe wishing for it is pretty much futile :-(
How did you install High Sierra on a 2009 MacPro? - it was limited to El Capitan...

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Well that’s not cool. When Apple marks accessories obsolete they usually pull them from the management apps too. That means I’ll have to watch for Airport Utility app updates and not apply them or lose access to my device.

On the Mac side you can have versions, but in iOS land they just push an update with sketchy notes and you’re support is gone with no way to get the old one.
I didn’t realize that. I have a 5th gen in my sons room. Should I not push any updates to it? Does obsolete mean they won’t support it anymore, software wise?

Reactions: sd70mac

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Time Capsule has seriously been one of the most reliable Apple products.

It has had some issues - sure, and takes ages for an initial backup of 3TB, but once it's loaded it's brilliant. Still rocking the 3TB one, has saved me in many instances and is always the first thing I unplug whenever I'm traveling or there's a power outage.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Wish they would update the old AirPort Express they are still selling. It still doesnt support ac in 2017! Yet they still charge the full price.

And among other reasons, that’s why Apple has the huge cash pile it does.
[doublepost=1509970266][/doublepost]
Can’t send anything from your Mac to the cloud without WiFi.

You can send things to the cloud over wired Ethernet.

nikon1

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Somewhere In South Jersey
Still can't believe Apple shut down development of the Time Capsule and AirPort line altogether.

Makes me wonder if anyone at Apple really focuses on the user experience anymore. Not everyone wants to or can send things to the the Cloud.

I fear the day that my Apple network equipment dies: not sure who to trust in the router business these days. Aside from the occasional need to reboot the Extreme and the lack of support for ac on the Express units I have, my Apple Network just works!

pdxplm

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
I *LOVE* my 2010 6 core MacPro!!!! Everytime I get ready to pull the trigger on a new machine, I go "why?" my cMP is still running smooth. Only issue I've had is to replace a failed video card.

Does this mean with it being obsolete that the next OS update will not be supported? UGH..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.