Apple Obsoletes 2010 Mac Pro, Time Capsule (4th Gen) and AirPort Extreme (5th Gen)

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has updated its vintage and obsolete products list with three additional products: the Time Capsule (4th generation), AirPort Extreme (5th generation), and the Mac Pro (Mid 2010).

[​IMG]

The Mac Pro and two wireless routers listed above are now classified by the company as vintage in the United States and Turkey, and obsolete in the rest of the world. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five but less than seven years. Macs and other products on the vintage and obsolete list are generally no longer eligible for hardware service.

Apple radically redesigned the Mac Pro in 2013, but a new high-end high-throughput modular Mac Pro machine is in the works and will debut after 2017. As customers wait for a new Mac Pro, current machines have seen a significant price drop. The 4-core Mac Pro has been discontinued, and the 6-core machine is now available at entry-level pricing.

Apple dismantled its wireless router division last year, sending engineers who worked on the AirPort line-up into other product teams, including one that works on Apple TV. Currently, Apple still sells the AirPort Express ($99) and high-rise 6th-generation AirPort Extreme ($199) wireless routers. The company also sells one wireless router with built-in network-attached storage - the AirPort Time Capsule in 2TB ($299) and 3TB ($399) capacities - but the device hasn't seen a refresh since 2013.

Article Link: Apple Obsoletes 2010 Mac Pro, Time Capsule (4th Gen) and AirPort Extreme (5th Gen)

2. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

So my Mac Pro (2010) has been declared obsolete *snif*

Don't worry MacPro, you're still doing fine!

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

My now obsolete TimeCapsule 2TB is still chugging along.

4. nicho macrumors 68020

My 3rd gen 1TB is still chugging along fine at the MIL's nearly 8 years on. I often forget about it but its by far my oldest piece of Apple tech (and a free replacement for my failed 500GB first gen one)

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This thread reminds me I am still using a 3rd generation Time Capsule I bought back in 2009. Works perfectly and still on the original hard drive.

6. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

My 2008 Mac Pro still works great even if it is stuck at el capitan.

7. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

They really do "just work" (unless they fail :p) . Set them up and forget about them – not something you can say about every Apple product these days.

8. dsdrakon macrumors newbie

dsdrakon

Still using an early 2009 with High Sierra and Titan X Graphics. Still runs well :) Will Apple ever offer a desktop MacPro like the old ones? I dare to hope...but I believe wishing for it is pretty much futile :-(

9. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Now you can't say Mac Pro hasn't been updated. Can't obsolete, my ass!

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I didn’t have much luck with this time capsule. Mine went 3 years and died. Then I bought the updated version.

11. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Well that’s not cool. When Apple marks accessories obsolete they usually pull them from the management apps too. That means I’ll have to watch for Airport Utility app updates and not apply them or lose access to my device.

On the Mac side you can have versions, but in iOS land they just push an update with sketchy notes and you’re support is gone with no way to get the old one.

12. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

For the 2010 Mac Pro there's always… eBay (etc.). Quite a lot of spare parts to get there.

13. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Same for my 2009 Mac Pro - I am hoping the next years "Modular" Mac Pro will have the same ability to continually add larger storage capacity as I have on my 9 year old Mac Pro, which currently can have 40+ TerraBytes of internal storage, including a fast SSD boot drive that didn't exist in '09, Blu-ray drive Apple never supported, etc. etc.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    How did you install High Sierra on a 2009 MacPro? - it was limited to El Capitan...

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Wow, I didn’t realize my TC was old enough to be obsoleted already.

15. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

I didn’t realize that. I have a 5th gen in my sons room. Should I not push any updates to it? Does obsolete mean they won’t support it anymore, software wise?

16. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Time Capsule has seriously been one of the most reliable Apple products.

It has had some issues - sure, and takes ages for an initial backup of 3TB, but once it's loaded it's brilliant. Still rocking the 3TB one, has saved me in many instances and is always the first thing I unplug whenever I'm traveling or there's a power outage.

17. IPPlanMan macrumors regular

Still can't believe Apple shut down development of the Time Capsule and AirPort line altogether.

Makes me wonder if anyone at Apple really focuses on the user experience anymore. Not everyone wants to or can send things to the the Cloud.

18. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Can’t send anything from your Mac to the cloud without WiFi.

19. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Wish they would update the old AirPort Express they are still selling. It still doesnt support ac in 2017! Yet they still charge the full price.

20. IPPlanMan macrumors regular

And among other reasons, that’s why Apple has the huge cash pile it does.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    You can send things to the cloud over wired Ethernet.

21. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

2018 and modular Mac Pro right around the corner (I prefer glasses half full).

22. nikon1 macrumors member

nikon1

I fear the day that my Apple network equipment dies: not sure who to trust in the router business these days. Aside from the occasional need to reboot the Extreme and the lack of support for ac on the Express units I have, my Apple Network just works!

23. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

I *LOVE* my 2010 6 core MacPro!!!! Everytime I get ready to pull the trigger on a new machine, I go "why?" my cMP is still running smooth. Only issue I've had is to replace a failed video card.

Does this mean with it being obsolete that the next OS update will not be supported? UGH..

24. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Not without a dongle.

25. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

It should still get an OS update (or two), considering it’s more or less identical to the 2012 Mac Pro.