Apple Offering $50 Credit to Customers Who Paid for iPhone 6 and Later Battery Replacements From January to December 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is providing a $50 credit to all customers who paid for an out-of warranty battery replacement for an iPhone 6 or later between the dates of January 1, 2017 and December 28, 2017, the company announced today.

The $50 credit is an extension of Apple's $29 battery replacement program, which went into effect in December of 2017 to provide lower-cost battery replacement options to customers potentially affected by performance throttling due to battery degradation.

[​IMG]

All customers who had a battery replacement from an Apple Store, Apple Repair Center, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider are eligible for the $50 credit, which will be provided as an electronic funds transfer or a credit on the credit card used to pay for the battery replacement.

Apple is only issuing refunds for replacements completed at an Apple authorized service location, so those who may have received repairs from a third-party repair outlet will not be eligible for a refund.

The program is available to customers who paid the full $79 price for an out-of-warranty battery replacement on an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, SE, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, or 7 Plus. The $50 credit will bring the price paid for the replacement down to $29, the same price Apple is charging for replacement batteries through the end of 2018. While Apple is offering $50 in the United States, battery replacement credits in other countries will vary based on the original price of the out-of-warranty replacement.

Those who paid for an out-of-warranty battery replacement will be contacted by Apple via email between May 23 and July 27 with instructions on how to receive the credit. Customers who believe they are eligible for a credit but have not received an email by August 1 should contact Apple support for assistance.

Apple has been offering lower-cost batteries following controversy over power management features quietly introduced in older iPhones with the iOS 10.2.1 update in early 2017.

The power management options were introduced to prevent unexpected shutdowns during times of peak power draw on devices with degraded batteries, but Apple faced heavy criticism for not disclosing the fact that the power management features throttled the processor on older iPhones with less than optimal batteries, resulting in slower performance.

The throttling was discovered in late 2017 and many customers were left feeling deceived by Apple. To make up for the disclosure oversight, Apple apologized, introduced a $29 battery replacement program, disabled throttling by default in iOS 11.3, and added new features to iOS to introduce more detailed information about battery health so customers will know when a degraded battery is impacting performance.

Article Link: Apple Offering $50 Credit to Customers Who Paid for iPhone 6 and Later Battery Replacements From January to December 2017

2. krause734 Suspended

krause734

Apple really cares about it's customers. They don't care about profit.

3. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

4. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

5. kytiger macrumors member

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6plus at the Apple Store in August 2016 that I paid for. Guess I’m screwed because my battery failed too early.

This kind of stuff erodes my loyalty to Apple.

6. Evan Davis macrumors newbie

Evan Davis

7. I7guy macrumors P6

Not something I thought Apple would do, but it’s the right thing.

8. qmander macrumors newbie

This whole thing is because of software introduced in 10.2.1, which came out January 2017. Why should they credit you for something before the software existed?

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

10. tipoo macrumors 6502

So send a user notification to get the discount.

These repair programs probably only get seen by a fraction of those impacted.

11. kytiger macrumors member

So a battery on an iPhone with AppleCare less than 2 years old that goes from 80% to 0% and shutting down is normal behavior. Got it.

12. qmander macrumors newbie

Which is still unrelated to the reason why the batteries are currently discounted. Why didn’t you argue your point with the manager two years ago when it happened?

13. Robert.Walter, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

That it took this long to come up with such a program is rather embarrassing.

Should have been announced on day the reduced battery prices were announced.

Is rather amazing it took a couple of months to get to an announcement after dropping the hint this might happen.

Apple is an amazing company but is also amazingly lame at managing simple (and trivially cheap) things like this.

Too often it seems in the end they manage all the positive PR out of an issue by the time they decide to do right in order to avoid increasing negative PR or legal liability.

14. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I had mine done in November and was refused a partial refund when the price changed in January.

Nice to see I’ll be getting that refund now!

15. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Nice to see they've relented on the "since mid December" position and extended it back to the full calendar year!

16. kytiger macrumors member

Which is exactly what I did but all the “advanced diagnostics” didn’t show a problem. Phone worked perfectly after I paid for battery replacement.

I’ll never get AppleCare again. And programs like this that picks and chooses what problems they admit to erodes my loyalty to Apple. The way they have handled the battery issue and the MacBook Pro keyboard problem is ridiculous from a company that charges the premium that Apple does.

17. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Stop by the Apple store to get a battery replacement for my 5C - $79! Apple will give me a trade for another iPhone 8, 8+ or another X of $25! LOL! It like brand no scratches and working like new too but battery only good for 3 hours! Still has iOS 7! Fast too! Took 30 minutes to do!

18. manu chao macrumors 603

Well, technically the mismatch between peak power consumption of the iPhone 6 (and later) and the power supply 'capacity' of their batteries after they reached an age of roughly two years (and their corresponding usage) reared its head before 10.2.1 was released. The measures in 10.2.1 were a reaction to several months of increased occurrences of sudden shutdowns.

That said, I think covering the whole of 2017, should cover the vast majority of people having paid for out-of-warranty battery replacements for their iPhone 6 through 6s.

19. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

What about iPhone 5s owners? My battery expanded cracking the case open, a near explosion really, and Apple still charged the $79!

And to add insult to injury, they removed IOS 10 from it, replacing it with IOS 11, making it a substantially slower and difficult to use phone. :mad:

20. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

iOS 7! Lol. I’d recommend not using it for any sensitive task like banking or credit card related or sensitive emails.

21. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Good step. I replaced two iPhone 6 batteries (both swollen) and a iPhone 6+ battery (battery only lasted a few hours), however I did it myself :(

22. Radon87000 macrumors 604

They were caught red handed. Customers were entitled to this

23. apolloa macrumors G4

A rather pathetic gesture for their design flaw, because it is a design flaw they are hiding to prevent paying to fix it.
    But it’s saved m money as I’m not going to spend thousands with them ever again. Or a grand for an iPhone.

But I suspect the endless investigations that are yet to make any conclusions into this will hit them hard.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2018 ---
    Oh but look at our shiny new iPhone X sir... it’s amazing and you really should upgrade...

24. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Because the battery still died much sooner than its expected life span even if it lasted long enough to make a replacement an out of warranty repair?