Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is offering new free trial options for Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X, its video and audio editing software designed for professional projects, giving customers 90 days to try them out prior to a purchase.

finalcutpro.jpg

The new longer trial options will be beneficial to those who are working from home, including students who are no longer able to work in a classroom environment, and those who are looking to try learning a new skill. The 90-day free trial options are available to all customers around the world.

Prior to now, Final Cut Pro X had a 30-day free trial, while Logic Pro X had no free trial option at all, so this will be a welcome change for everyone who has wanted to try out Logic Pro X before making a purchase. The 90-day extension period will be available for a limited time, reverting back to 30 days in the future. The free trial options are available for both new customers and those who have already downloaded the prior 30-day free trial of Final Cut Pro X.

The 90-day free trial for Final Cut Pro X is available now, while the free trial for Logic Pro X will be available in a few days. The free trial options can be downloaded from Apple's dedicated websites for Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X.

Article Link: Apple Offering 90-Day Free Trials for Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
This is great now that students are having to stay at home. My University is offering free Adobe Suite during this time as they extended the school licenses to include student's personal computers. I just really dislike Premier over Final Cut so I'm one of the few that won't get sucked into Adobe's subscription land after. I just wish my University used Final Cut or even Davinci Resolve in some classes. I assume being Mac only does hurt Final Cut's greater spread too.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’d like to see Apple bundle its pro software into a subscription, or even include it with an iCloud plan. (i.e. a 1TB plan could include Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X.)

If Apple’s Pro applications were available on iPad Pro I’d purchase one to supplement or even replace my MacBook Pro. As it is now it’s lacking a few key applications that would justify a purchase for me. The new MacBook Air is tempting, but I foresee myself eventually replacing my Mac with an iPad.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Apple should have continued to develop Aperture just to have a complete the end to end workflow experience. They should also kept adding to their professional portfolio of apps for Illustration and Image editing (QuarkXpress, Affinity Photo and Corel Draw). There are many offshelf brands they could buy and bring in house to help keep Adobe in line. Remember, the reason why Apple even bought the original developers of Final Cut and Logic was the fear of abandonment by third party devs. Steve Jobs made the strategic decision after spending 14 million to buying these pro creative apps to kill the Windows versions. With Adobe also being available on Windows, many creatives can easily switch platforms, unless you really love macOS and the hardware tax that much.

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
lol what sane professional is still cutting on Final Cut Pro in 2020? Great measure by Apple, but I have to laugh.
No joke, I thought this is what the film industry uses most (this and Premier).

At least you'd think that by watching a lot of Apple PR and Apple YouTubers.

My thought on it is if you run Premier, use a Windows rig.

Reactions: ErikGrim and RevTEG

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
I’d like to see Apple bundle its pro software into a subscription, or even include it with an iCloud plan. (i.e. a 1TB plan could include Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X.)

If Apple’s Pro applications were available on iPad Pro I’d purchase one to supplement or even replace my MacBook Pro. As it is now it’s lacking a few key applications that would justify a purchase for me. The new MacBook Air is tempting, but I foresee myself eventually replacing my Mac with an iPad.
Subscription is one reason I would not buy/use Premiere. Final Cut is already really cheap compared to one year of premier payments.

I do agree that there needs to be an iPad version, seems like it should have happened already.

ridgero

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2017

Wtf? Subscriptions is one of the worst things ever invented!

Blackwell

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Northern California
Sorta late, shut down my video operation when Apple abandoned me - seems like a long time now. I figured out a way to use a previously purchased version of FC with a legacy machine. Perfectly adequate for the few times I do personal/instructional videos. Yea!

Reactions: Macyourdayy

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
lol what sane professional is still cutting on Final Cut Pro in 2020? Great measure by Apple, but I have to laugh.

As it was bought at least 2 million times, if just ten percent use it professionally (making money, not necessarily being an editor in Hollywood), that is 200.000 professionals.
And if you get away from track based thinking, which is based on reels of film and video tape players, FCP X is quite powerful and faster than any editing software I have used (I grew up with Avid since 2000 and have used Premiere and Premiere Pro every now an then).

Ditto. They should have kept developing the suite instead of what they ended up with.
Maybe they should have integrated Color better into FCP X, but as of now, FCP X and Motion are more powerful than they were 8 years ago.
But it is hard to let go of track based thinking, which took me at least three tries, but now I couldn't have it any other way - I was using video editing software for 20 years before I used FCP X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.