Apple Offering Free Year of Apple TV+ With Purchase of iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch or Mac

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today unveiled new details about Apple TV+, the company's upcoming streaming service that will offer up access to dozens of exclusive TV shows and movies.

Apple plans to offer Apple TV+ for $4.99 per month for the whole family with Family Sharing, but is also giving away a one year Apple TV+ subscription for free to any customer who purchases an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac.

[​IMG]

That means when you order one of Apple's new iPhones, the new 10.2-inch $329 iPad, or another product, you're going to get Apple TV for free.

When it becomes available, Apple TV+ will offer the following shows:

[*]See: See stars Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard. Set 600 years in the future, a virus has decimated humankind and left survivors blind.
    [*]The Morning Show: The Morning Show stars Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell. It is a cutthroat drama that explores the world of morning news and the ego, ambition, and misguided search for power behind the people who deliver morning news.
    [*]Dickinson: - Dickinson stars Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson, and the show explores the constraints of society, gender, and family.
    [*]For All Mankind: Directed by Ronald D. Moore, For All Mankind explores what might have happened had the global space race never ended.
    [*]Helpsters: A children's show from the makers of Sesame Street that focuses on teaching youngsters the foundations of coding.
    [*]Snoopy in Space: An original from Peanuts Worldwide. Snoopy follows his dreams to become an astronaut.
    [*]Ghostwriter: Follows four kids who are brought together by a mysterious ghost in a neighborhood bookstore.
    [*]The Elephant Queen: A documentary that follows a matriarch elephant and her herd.
    [*]Oprah Winfrey: Oprah Winfrey hosts a show talking to the world's most compelling authors to build a global book club community.

Apple will release additional TV shows on a monthly basis, with these TV series and movies in the works: Servants, Truth Be Told, Little America, The Banker (a film), and Hala (a film).

Apple TV shows will be available both online and offline with no ads. Each TV show premiering when the service launches will have at least three episodes available, with the rest released on a weekly basis. Some shows will have full seasons available all at once.

Apple TV+ will launch on Friday, November 1 in more than 100 countries. It will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone and iPad, the Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac, and on the web at tv.apple.com.

Those who don't get a free year subscription for purchasing a new device can get a free seven-day trial to give it a try.

Article Link: Apple Offering Free Year of Apple TV+ With Purchase of iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch or Mac

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Should I assume this includes the iPhone Upgrade Program?

3. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

I wonder if there will be a feature to filter out objectionable content...?

4. Wackery macrumors 6502a

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I think they kinda had to...the $5/mo sounds cheap but the amount of content on AppleTV+ is lackluster...to say the least.
    and that's not getting into WHAT the shows are but the amount of shows.

6. Keymaster macrumors member

Well, I guess I'll get this with my Mac Pro purchase, whenever they finally get released...I'm waiting to hear about the Foundation series, if that is made, and is faithful to Asimov's books, it will be really worth subscribing. We'll see what other movies and shows are added, I really doubt it's going to be just these few things. And, Apple definitely did shock some people with the low price, that's a good thing, now we wait to see how it turns out.

7. 2010mini macrumors 601

Not a bad deal. I know this post will fill up with the usually MR “Apple is doomed” snobs. But this is a great business decision. I was planning on getting a new iPad anyway, so this bonus is great.

I am actually most intrigued to see “For All Mankind”

8. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Is it just these Apple original programmes, or will there be a selection of older/general movies and TV, like Netflix etc do...??

9. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

The price sounds right. Hopefully they will have enough content to justify keeping the subscription long term.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68030

This is what I want to know. Like it is priced similar to HULU with the ads. But with HULU you get more shows. Plus the movies they offer. I haven’t heard a peep from Apple on what other stuff you get for that $5 a month.

11. bookcase macrumors member

Disney+ gets my money this year. I know the free subscriptions are for devices that can play AppleTV+, but if people are forking over a lot of money for the new watches, you think they could throw them (possibly me) a bone.

12. ChromeAce macrumors regular

Is this one year free service cumulative if you buy multiple devices? Getting a new phone and an  TV so I’m expecting 2 years of Plus.

13. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

Well, it was a good move but like some of you already said, probably it will lack a lot of content. The question is, Will it cost 4.99 forever, regardless the content size? What will happen with the rental business that they have already? Will some movies be offered in Atv+?

14. livelongdienvr macrumors member

Does anyone know if the Macbook Air will qualify for this. I recently bought a Macbook Air 2019 (about 3 weeks ago) I would love to get this offer.

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

I imagine this is a one-time promotion while they build the library of content up. You essentially get one year of service for free while Apple makes the service compelling enough for you to pay $4.99 a month for it.

16. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

I wonder, one, if the free year is repeatable (if you buy another device next year do you get another year, or is it a one-time thing), and if so, if it's stackable - if you buy another device in six months, do you get no additional time (because you already have a free year going), or 6 months beyond your first year (i.e. a year starting from buying that second device, even though it overlaps), or 12 months beyond your first year (so, 12 months added to the hopper every time you buy a device).

I'm not looking to buy devices just for the free subscription, of course, but curious if you are buying a device of one sort or another every year or so - it becomes like a free benefit of being active in the Apple ecosystem.

17. furbzv1 macrumors 65816

furbzv1

so if i get an ipad pro from my phone provider i get this too? or is it just for the ipad that was announced today?

18. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

That's A LOT! I would've expected a month or 3 max, but a whole year! That's enticing.

19. xDENTALPLANx macrumors newbie

The terms on the website read like it’s only valid on devices purchased after November 1st.

If anyone knows for sure though, I’d love to know as I just got my new MBP yesterday.

20. PickUrPoison Suspended

It’s poorly worded on the website. Purchase eligibility starts today(!) but the service itself doesn’t start until Nov. 1.

21. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

When those shows launch in Germany, will they have subtitles or will they be in german?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2019 ---
    Similar question here. My wife and I get free iPhones every other year, so first year would be on my phone, and then we would activate her free year after my free year is finished. If possible.

22. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Free? Wow. Just remember if you don't pay for it, youre the product.

23. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I haven’t dug into it too much but I do know Ghostwriter was the name of a show with the basic premise of “ghost communicates to kids to solve crimes via written words” in the 80s/90s.

24. Lalatoon macrumors regular

1 year free is great. Even though there are few shows but at least its free :) but it would have been much better if you buy 1 year tv+ sub you get an MBP for free.

25. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I can't wait for a crazy 'merican to raise a class action for false advertising the service as bundled free when they find you don't get 3 years free for buying an iPhone, iPad, MacBook. I haven't checked but I'm sure it'll be in the T&C's somewhere!:D