Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The 25th is a Thursday. And over a week after Paris. But it seems to be a good indication of G5 xServes coming soon (hopefully).

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Hopefully that means there will be a G5 xServe soon. That would likely be an outstanding server. I wonder how many xServes they are selling now. Probably not many.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by PowerBook User
I wonder how many xServes they are selling now. Probably not many.

Yeah... who would buy a G4 server when G5s are already on the market and sure to come to servers soon? I'm actually kinda surprised that they didn't announce G5 xserves along with the towers... but I guess with the limited supply of processors they wanted to get the desktops out first.

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Didn't MacBid say something about the 23rd? That would be a Tuesday.

And if they wanted to clear away new XServes, iMacs and iPods from Paris...... well you see where this thought is going

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by orion123
Didn't MacBid say something about the 23rd? That would be a Tuesday.

And if they wanted to clear away new XServes, iMacs and iPods from Paris...... well you see where this thought is going

The 23rd rumor was based on a typo at someone's website.

arn

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
this is usual practice

if you make a big order at apple they don't make a global rebate on the sum but they always give away about 1/4 of the delivery for free. lets say you buy 40 g5s you will have in fact to pay for 30 g5s and the rest is offered free. apple always does like this and its just another way of rebate.

stoid

macrumors 601
I don't think that Apple is spending a whole lot of time making the Xserve quiet as it generally just finds it's way chugging away in a back storage room. So they decided to err on the side of ventilation and cooling over quiet running.

timothyjoelwrig

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Understandable, but there are better ways of ventilating than several turbine jet engines going full force all the time.

I'm sure Apple can use a similar design strategy from G5 to distribute cooling better. Trying to pull enough air through two vents, each 2in x .5in is silly. Most server rooms are going to be temp controlled. The chassis of our servers is always quite cold to the touch. In such a case variable speed fans would be a blessing. (not to mention a savings on electricity)

Worst case scenario, Xtrememac has done the noise reduction work for Apple.

Urdam

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Piedmont (Oakland), CA
G5 Xserve

It would be resonable to assume that the G5 Xserves will be due to release very soon. Apple can't keep making pro computers with G4s for that much longer.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
September is Apple's

last month in their fiscal. They always offer discounts if you buy in volume this month. This is common knowledge and not a surprise.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
buy 3 get one free!
well, f you spend that much money, you'd better get something back!:p

Why should they give you a bonus? If you spend that much money on Xserves, you will get something back... Xserves!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.