Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced a Lightning to USB-C Cable to its online accessory store that lets users connect their iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector to a computer's USB-C port for syncing and charging.

Significantly, the cable can be used with an Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter to take advantage of the fast charging feature on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but not the brand new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which lacks the fast-charge capability.

screen-shot-2016-03-21-at-2-32-24-pm.png

The new adapter will be a welcome option for iPhone and iPad owners who also own a 12-inch MacBook, which uses a 29W USB-C Power Adapter.

The cable comes in 1-meter and 2-meter lengths, costing $25 and $35 respectively, and both are shipping immediately. Apple's 29w USB-C Power Adapter is separately available for $49.

Article Link: Apple Offers Lightning to USB-C Cable for Fast-Charging 12.9-inch iPad Pro

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
First, why would someone have both a 12" Mac and a 13" iPad? Seems super redundant (not to mention expensive).

Second, the cable lists compatibility with all lightning products, but doesn't mention whether actual USB3 or 3.1 transfers are supported when syncing using this cable.

Comment

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
I am wondering if there is some kind of way to use this to get USB 3 sync speeds with MBP? Current 12.9 iPad Pro port supports USB 3.0 but the Lightening Cable does NOT.

Does maybe using this cable with some kind of USB-C to USB Type A adapter support USB 3.0 speeds?

Comment

arturmeireles

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Portugal
I am wondering if there is some kind of way to use this to get USB 3 sync speeds with MBP? Current 12.9 iPad Pro port supports USB 3.0 but the Lightening Cable does NOT.

Does maybe using this cable with some kind of USB-C to USB Type A adapter support USB 3.0 speeds?

Im trying to find a lightning to USB 3 adapter but I cant seem to find.I only find lightening to micro usb adapter.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Why wasn't this included in the 13" iPad Pro in the first place? The charging time on iPad Pro is too long and you would have to pay 80$ to get a faster charging cable.
Cynically, you answered your own question: $80 is why it wasn't included. Apple is one of the best companies in the world at convincing their customers that a product they were satisfied with only yesterday, is somehow inadequate today. Not every company can do that. Even those that can, can't do it like Apple. You'll even find customers who will claim it's a defensible decision... and they will defend it.

Comment

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

I haven't come across a female USB-C adapter. Not sure they exist, yet.

Comment

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I figured this would be coming out soon. I am kind of surprised that it isn't going to be included with the iPad Pro and the iPhone SE. Since it isn't I guess we will probably see it included with the iPhone 7 this fall, and probably any new iPads/Watches announced this fall. I'm betting we will see new 5W and 12W power adapters available then as well.

Any new computers announced this summer will get USB-C ports.

Comment

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Cynically, you answered your own question: $80 is why it wasn't included. Apple is one of the best companies in the world at convincing their customers that a product they were satisfied with only yesterday, is somehow inadequate today. Not every company can do that. Even those that can, can't do it like Apple. You'll even find customers who will claim it's a defensible decision... and they will defend it.
Apple is the best company I know for convincing people that Apple can convince OTHER people to do things.

Comment

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007

What about the new USB 3 camera adapter? Comes with a standard USB port as well as the sdcard slot.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
What about the new USB 3 camera adapter? Comes with a standard USB port as well as the sdcard slot.
And this new USB 3 camera adaptor can power other accessories like an Ethernet adaptor. Curious that this fact (which makes it possible to connect an iPad, maybe only the 'Pros', to a wired network) hasn't been reported by MacRumors.

Edit: Appleinsider reports that the Lightning-to-USB 3 camera adaptor only provides USB 3 speeds with the 12.9" iPad Pro.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.