Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
England
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3351

Some Time Capsules with serial numbers in the following range may be affected:
XX807XXXXXX - XX814XXXXXX

If your Time Capsule falls within serial number range above and it does not power on or shuts down unexpectedly after starting up, it may be eligible for repair or replacement.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Apple finally recalls faulty Time Capsules

Apple have finally admitted to a fault with some Time Capsules sold between February 2008 and June 2008, which were dying after approximately 18 months use.

Apple said:
"If Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider confirms that your Time Capsule is affected, Apple will repair or replace it free of charge."

Time Capsules being recalled are those with serial numbers between XX807XXXXXX and XX814XXXXXX, sold between February and June 2008.

The problem was so widespread that a web site was set up to track the issue in October 2009, with 2500 owners registering their broken Time Capsules before the site closed the register back in February.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I hope that the people who went to Apple and were told to pound sand when their TCs died prematurely are compensated with a new TC even if it died a while ago. I know some who had the TC, it died 18 (ish) months later and Apple told them to kick rocks. It's cute that it took Apple so long to figure this one out. :cool:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you believe that you paid for a repair or replacement Time Capsule due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.
Looks like they've looking at that angle too.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Offers Repair Program for 2008 Time Capsule Power Issues

100456-time_capsule.jpg

As noted by Hardmac, Apple on Friday issued a support document outlining a repair/replacement program for users experiencing power problems with Time Capsules manufactured between February and June 2008.
Affected Time Capsule models
Some Time Capsules with serial numbers in the following range may be affected:
XX807XXXXXX - XX814XXXXXX

How to find the serial number on your Time Capsule.

If your Time Capsule falls within serial number range above and it does not power on or shuts down unexpectedly after starting up, it may be eligible for repair or replacement.
Users experiencing the documented issues are invited to contact Apple, an Apple retail store, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for diagnosis and repair or replacement. Users in the U.S. and Japan wishing to retain the data on their Time Capsules can contact Apple to arrange for mail-in service, while customers in other countries can arrange for data transfer to a replacement device through their Apple retail store or service outlet.

Apple notes that the program will cover Time Capsules for three years from the date of original purchase, and customers who previously paid for repair or replacement of Time Capsules experiencing the issue can contact Apple for a refund.

Article Link: Apple Offers Repair Program for 2008 Time Capsule Power Issues

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Haha

Fianlly apple!!! Good Job

So I go into the AppleStore and complain about this issue about 2 weeks ago. I was very interested in getting a time capsule, but was worried about reviews that were written on it complaining about it crashing a year or so since it was purchased. I go and speak to several peole, and nobody had any idea what I was talking about. funny people

Anyways Good Job Apple, now fix the iPhone 4 before it comes to canada.

Later
AE

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I think this deserves a positive, although maybe not given the problem has been known for at least a year and they're only acting (publicly) now. I got mine replaced, free, even though it was past warranty (I didn't need to assert applecare rights). So that's good.

But why so long Apple for a known problem?

Mulyahnto

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2006
Mine died 3 months ago, I had a new one the next day, no questions asked. I guess it got a little expensive for Apple.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Agree. About time on this. Thanks to AppleCare, I was able to get mine replaced with a refurb but the genius still gave me a hard time. Since then I have never really trusted the thing which is not good thing for a backup solution designed to provide peace of mind.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Hadn't they been repairing these for free for a while now? Mine tanked last year and they replaced it, out of warranty, no questions asked.

It did fall under the conditions that were outlined in the replacement program (it was first gen and manufactured in Feb).

ashiyajoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
My serial number falls in the range, XX813XXXXXX. However, it is working fine but I am worried that it will fail soon so I am backing up my data at this moment. This means I need to wait for it to fail before it gets replaced. So it is now useless as backup drive :mad:

lethalOne

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto ON
Not just me...

Mine started to power off last week and now won't power on at all.

Already been to see a genius, but am waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Maybe this will improve it's reliability - recently it was failing during my time machine backups.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I've already gone thru two new ones already. My 3rd one is doing fine now but I expect it to follow suit with the others.

Time Capsules Dying

It's 2010 they already have a majority of the bad units b/c they have been reported and turned in already. This offer is nice to see but too late.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Does that mean it's safe to buy one now?

I think it is fine as this was the initial ones that had the issues. Been using the latest version with no issues.

For those that say it makes them unsure because it is a backup drive that fails. I think the point of backup is you always have multiple copies of data so if any device (backup or Mac) you can restore the data to both places. I do however agree that backup drives should be bullet proof.

oscarmacca

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
My TC, bought in October 2008, has been running 24/7/365 since then without a problem.

I took out an AppleCare warranty for my iMac 24" a couple of months before buying the TC and the same warranty covers the TC for the entire 3 years.

However it's good to know that Apple takes these issues seriously.

n0otro

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
DAMNIT! mine died last november, and since I needed it fixed ASAP, I took it apart and wired the appropriate A/C adapter. This works great, but i'd much rather have it fixed officially so I don't have this A/C adapter hanging off the back of it.

I'm pretty certain I did, but can anybody verify whether or not I voided my warranty by opening it up and fixing it myself?

JimT

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I got mine in March of 2008 and it is an 809 serial. It has been running 24/7 since then with no issues. I keep a secondary backup (I trust nothing) so I can weather any potential failure. After almost 2 1/2 year, though, I don't expect one.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I still think an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive is the way to go from a data security standpoint.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
Damn! Mine failed over a year ago. I took it in to the Apple Store twice but was told both times it would need to be replaced - at near full price!
I left it on the shelf for about a year before finally ripping it open *just two weeks ago* to salvage the HDD for my Drobo.

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
DAMNIT! mine died last november, and since I needed it fixed ASAP, I took can anybody verify whether or not I voided my warranty by opening it up and fixing it myself?

Yes. Same is true for any and every product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.