Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Apple make products that are too expensive and not repairable. They should pull out of Education completely so schools won't have to waste time even considering the kits. It is a race to the bottom, and there is the ChromeBook.

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

metroidzer0

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016
This is sadly a classic case of the school district and the teachers not taking the time to learn how to use a fantastic tool.
While iPads may not be seen as a laptop replacement yet, in a school environment they are phenomenal! Especially for books and collaborative learning! All this "they just played games" and "word processing was impossible" is a bunch of shenanigans that tells us they just didn't even bother to learn the medium. (From the student's angle I do understand the coding bit, even thought there's got to be at least a few good apps for that, but I couldn't say.)
But anyway, props to Apple for giving them a sweet deal.

Too true. It's all based on teacher training. Growing up, I had access to Apple II computers in elementary school. One year, all my computer class did was play games. Another year, with another teacher, we actually learned math and computer skills.

In the end the teachers or administration are the ones who own their students learning in the classroom. You can't just put a device in a kids hands and say "learn" then be surprised when they play games (and who's not properly managing the devices to ensure games aren't installed?) Teachers should be able to find ways to implement devices in your current curriculum as tools to accentuate learning. If they don't, the kids will have loosely structured "iPad time" and will be left to play their games.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This could be a case of just bad management. Office 365 works just fine, particularly with the Smart Keyboard. Mobile Device Management would let them limit installation of third party apps (and is far easier on an iPad than a Mac). Given that schools have no issues at all using Chromebooks (because they are dirt cheap) they ought to be able to figure out how to use an iPad. The high school where I went just went all iPad. Before they did it, they did a LOT of research into MDM, firewalls, apps for teaching, and also trained the teachers on what is available.

Given all the debate over hybrids, it would be interesting to see if there are any statistics on the Surface in education.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Take home:

"iPads provide no educational function in the classroom. Students use them as toys. "

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Both iPads and laptops in the classroom are distractions from learning. The problem is that there is no profit margin for Apple or kickbacks for administrators with pen and paper.
True. I saw a study recently about the impact of laptops (of any variety) in college classrooms. In it, students who brought laptops or tablets to class did less well than students who did not.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Finally. I have literally been saying this for years. The iPad is a great content consumption device but it is piss-poor as an input device.

To get any real work done on one of those you need to buy expensive productivity apps and a keyboard attachment. And even then it's cumbersome to write things, print stuff, get your files out of the iPad etc - And in trying to make it workable you've essentially turned it into a crap laptop with a touch screen and baby software.

Real laptops are what students actually need!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i could see tablets being a decent textbook replacement, but is everyone getting a keyboard accessory too? just something else to keep track of. and since they aren't pros, no pencil either. otherwise there could have been value in virtual note taking and diagrams.

i think we're at the point where novelty of touchscreens has hopefully worn off and people realize that you don't have to try to force a square peg into a round hole and use them for everything just because they looked cool and futuristic a decade ago.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Right on the heels of the metrics that show chromebooks' popularity.
Chrome books are popular mainly because of their cost, and because teachers generally rely on free web apps, so a browser and Google suite of services is really all they need. At the same time, they don't have to deal with the complexities of Windows.

Within the context of education, a chrome book means most of the benefits of a laptop without any of the drawbacks.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Perhaps, but if these students keep using the chomebook through out their education, don't you think that will make their way into the business world?

In a way that's what Apple did years ago, and as kids used the Apple computers in classrooms they wanted them at home.
Except it didn't quite work out that way. Apple II was never really a serious business machine, and Windows supplanted the Mac. Chromebooks are essentially the return of thin clients. That works just as easily with the iPad, Surface, or anything else.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
LOL, right, because you can't run MS Office on an iPad, or use a keyboard with it, or draw, or record music, or take notes, or markup documents, or edit movies and photos, or... oh wait, you can do all those things on one, easily. So maybe your lack of understanding is the issue here?

Yeah you can do all those things, very poorly, very inefficiently.

It sucks as a video editor, my god you'd have to be out of your god damn mind to edit anything of substance on that thing. It cannot colour grade, it can't do any complex effects. You would 100% need a "big boy" computer with a proper editing suite to make anything beyond a vacation film.

And recording music? come on are you for real? - The iPad sucks for any kind of content creation and if you're going to buy a keyboard dock for it just buy a laptop in the first place and get the proper experience.

Try programming on an iPad, it can't even compile or run the code you write for gods sake.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Finally. I have literally been saying this for years. The iPad is a great content consumption device but it is piss-poor as an input device.

To get any real work done on one of those you need to buy expensive productivity apps and a keyboard attachment. And even then it's cumbersome to write things, print stuff, get your files out of the iPad etc - And in trying to make it workable you've essentially turned it into a crap laptop with a touch screen and baby software.

Really depends on the nature of the lesson, don't you think?

If I am using Popplet to create a mindmap of the Greek civilization, it might be easier to manipulate the various parts of the mindmap with a touchscreen than a cursor and keyboard.

And baby software isn't inherently a bad thing. It means the apps are easier to use and familiarize, especially when we are dealing with younger children.

People seem to equate productivity and classroom learning with typing long essays, and I can assure you that is the least of what we do during lesson time.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Chromebooks are essentially laptops running a tablet OS and schools use them with no issues. It is difficult to load software onto them.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Not surprised. Laptops are wayy more versatile for everything. Especially school work, when you need to go back and forth between writing a report and researching a report. Copy and paste is much easier and putting the document in whatever format you need is better.

iPads are overrated and I know no own one as I don't find much use for it.

Reactions: ohio.emt and Quu

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is so stupid. No I wouldn't want to build complex excel macros on an iPad but this idea that iPads can't be used for learning is ridiculous. The school knew what it was getting when it purchased iPads so shame on them for not making a better decision in the first place.
I think the most obvious point in the article is the school, more specifically the IT Director, didn't know what they were getting into. The Director said as much. In that scenario it seems a lot of incorrect assumptions were made. Alliflowers said it best on quote #48. The school should have laid out their plan first, decided what they wanted to accomplish, and then choose the best tool to achieve that plan. Purchasing iPads because they worked well in an elementary setting was not the smartest decision. This is less a story about iPads being poor replacents for laptops and more about the old adage: Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
i guess the issue isnt what you can or cannot do but (i am just gonna use we) are so used to do it a certain way that trying to do it on the iPad seems unnatural. like for example you cannot have two doc documents open next to each other. also theres the lack of a file system, opening an app and then picking the file seems backwards. plus no mouse support.

the fact that one has to go in and out of apps also drives me insane

People keep parroting this. I don't think it means what you think it means.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

It sucks as a video editor, my god you'd have to be out of your god damn mind to edit anything of substance on that thing. It cannot colour grade, it can't do any complex effects. You would 100% need a "big boy" computer with a proper editing suite to make anything beyond a vacation film.

And recording music? come on are you for real? - The iPad sucks for any kind of content creation and if you're going to buy a keyboard dock for it just buy a laptop in the first place and get the proper experience.

Try programming on an iPad, it can't even compile or run the code you write for gods sake.
It depends on the need. Most 10 year olds don't need to program or do coding. It's easier to control access on an iPad (mobile device management) and you can keep the user experience simpler. The problem is that the Maine schools just threw technology at people without thinking about the right way to use it. In some respects, the iPad Pro 9.7 with the smart keyboard should be easier to type on for smaller hands. And the ability to limit file access ought to make it more difficult to cheat. Mobile Device Management would prevent students from downloading games.

Plus, drawing is a lot easier with the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro than the Mac or even a typical Windows 10 PC (a Surface may be a bit different). Art students probably prefer the iPad.

Reactions: M. Gustave

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Chrome books are popular mainly because of their cost, and because teachers generally rely on free web apps, so a browser and Google suite of services is really all they need. At the same time, they don't have to deal with the complexities of Windows.

Within the context of education, a chrome book means most of the benefits of a laptop without any of the drawbacks.

No argument. But you can see why Apple would be interested in "upgrading" these classrooms to keep them on Apple.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Again, what's the context?

We are dealing with school children here. If they are creating movies or slideshows, you won't be expecting professional grade video quality anyways. The purpose is to allow them to express their ideas and creativity and tell a story, not edit the next Avengers movie.

The iPad's chief advantage here would be its integrated camera, allowing the school children to take photos and record videos and edit them directly on the same device.

Same with programming. At this age, children will likely be exposed to scratch, and the learning objective is probably more to develop problem solving skills rather than actually code an app.

An iPad actually does all this well. The main issues I can see are price, the various idiosyncrasies of iOS and the challenges of getting your work off the device to submit to your teacher.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It depends on the need. Most 10 year olds don't need to program or do coding. It's easier to control access on an iPad (mobile device management) and you can keep the user experience simpler. The problem is that the Maine schools just threw technology at people without thinking about the right way to use it. In some respects, the iPad Pro 9.7 with the smart keyboard should be easier to type on for smaller hands. And the ability to limit file access ought to make it more difficult to cheat. Mobile Device Management would prevent students from downloading games.

Plus, drawing is a lot easier with the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro than the Mac or even a typical Windows 10 PC (a Surface may be a bit different). Art students probably prefer the iPad.

In my country the children learn programming and coding at age 7-8 and it continues from there. I mean we are a bit progressive in europe, maybe you're American or something and a simple basic iPad is good enough for your kids I dunno.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I bought an iPad specifically because I preferred it for learning then a laptop. I did not however do all my notes on it, given I believe school work should still be written.
Why? I did my entire Physics Degree on an iPad. Using it to take all my notes for my math and physics class, with an old school nib stylus. If I didn't hate school so much I'd like to go back and do it with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Again, what's the context?

We are dealing with school children here. If they are creating movies or slideshows, you won't be expecting professional grade video quality anyways. The purpose is to allow them to express their ideas and creativity and tell a story, not edit the next Avengers movie.

The iPad's chief advantage here would be its integrated camera, allowing the school children to take photos and record videos and edit them directly on the same device.

Same with programming. At this age, children will likely be exposed to scratch, and the learning objective is probably more to develop problem solving skills rather than actually code an app.

An iPad actually does all this well. The main issues I can see are price, the various idiosyncrasies of iOS and the challenges of getting your work off the device to submit to your teacher.

I was replying to the user who was talking about adult use of the device not children. The iPad is a very poor creative device in general. It's a consumption device.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Apple and the Maine Department of Education have offered to swap school iPads for MacBooks at no additional cost, after it emerged that students and teachers overwhelmingly favor the use of laptops in class.

Very first line of the article, yet so much negativity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.