Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially delayed Universal Control, a hallmark feature of macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15 announced in June, until Spring 2022.

universal-control-wwdc.jpeg

In an update to the iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey feature pages, Apple now indicates that Universal Control will be "available this spring." Universal Control, which allows users to use one mouse and keyboard across all of their Macs and iPads, has been absent from all versions of both macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15 thus far.

Apple had initially indicated that Universal Control would be launching in the fall of this year, presumably alongside the initial releases of macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15, but that promise did not materialize. Apple just today released macOS Monterey 12.1, including SharePlay and other new features, but lacking Universal Control. With the fall season officially ending on December 21, it seemed likely to be the case that the feature would be delayed until next year.

Article Link: Apple Officially Delays macOS Monterey Universal Control Until Spring 2022

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
June 20, the last day of spring:
“After much effort, we’ve concluded AirPow.. erm I Mean… Universal Control will not achieve our high standards and we have cancelled the project. We apologize to those customers who were looking forward to this launch. We continue to believe that the future is wireless and are committed to push the wireless experience forward,” said Dan Riccio, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Engineering in an emailed statement today.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Universal Control is the one where the mouse goes across screens...I have this feature. From my M1 Mac mini I can connect to my 12.9" iPad Pro and move the cursor between the 2 screens. I have Apple beta software on all of my devices. Perhaps beta testers still have this feature; I have it.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Monterey is the proof that the pressure to deliver annual major software upgrades is maybe too much. I would not mind a software schedule more about 18-24 months for major upgrades, giving time to implement new features and correct bugs
Same. Catalina was a catastrophe and Monterey seems to be right up there with it. We really don't need annual updates if the features aren't even ready.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I appreciate that they’re taking their time with it rather than releasing it buggy, but it still doesn’t feel quite right they announced the feature in June for a software version that came out in September, yet it won’t even be coming out until Spring (March? April? May? June?) 2022.

I get it’s a feature they want to demonstrate with a video (what better way?), but it still feels misleading.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Makes sense, this is a pretty complex feature that should work perfectly with all the ecosystem devices, and probably needs a fine tune to work well, with no lag and no disconnections.

When I saw this feature on the Keynote, I suspected it was one of the most difficult to implement, and I prefer them taking time to make it work as intended, rather than having a buggy and unreliable experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.