Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the new Apple Watch Series 8 models and the updated Apple Watch SE, Apple has officially discontinued the outdated Apple Watch Series 3 that was being sold as a low cost $199 option.

apple-watch-series-3.jpg

Available since 2017, the Apple Watch Series 3 had the same design as the original Apple Watch models and did not sport the larger casings that Apple started introducing with the Series 4 models. It was the first Apple Watch to offer cellular connectivity when it launched.

The Apple Watch Series 3 featured an Apple S3 chip, which is an older, slower Apple Watch chip variant. The Apple Watch Series 3 never offered much in the way of performance, and compared to modern Apple Watch models, it was notably underpowered. We have not recommended the Apple Watch Series 3 as a purchase option for the last few years, and its age became something of a joke.

Apple sold the Apple Watch Series 3 for $199, and it could be found even lower from third-party retailers hosting sales. Apple's low-cost Apple Watch option is now the $249 Apple Watch SE, which features a newer chip than the Apple Watch Series 3 and a more modern design.

We were expecting the discontinuation of the Apple Watch Series 3 as the device is not able to run watchOS 9, which is compatible only with the Series 4 and later. The Series 3 is limited to watchOS 8 and will receive no further major operating system updates. Prior to the launch of the Series 8 models, the Series 3 was already selling out and many variants were out of stock.

Article Link: Apple Officially Discontinues Apple Watch Series 3

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
this watch been dead in the water when you have to completely restore the watch just so there is enough memory for updates
Really amazing, I was having to do that (completely wipe the watch for every OS update you wanted to allow) with the Series 3 when I upgraded to the 6 and they still went 2 more years - what an awful user experience. Someone up at the top needed to say no guys, this is bad, a long long time ago. Nice that its finally gone.

Reactions: pianostar9

D-ConYT

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2022
Earth
okay, say it with me: it's about freaking time, that watch is slow and can't install updates without a factory reset, it deserves to be discontinued. I know that wasn't the case 5 years ago but that was 5 years ago.

Reactions: Shirasaki

asharpgclef

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
I own a Series 3 and I've been unable to determine if it will still communicate with my iphone 13 when I update it to iOS 16 next week. Has anyone found documentation about compatibility between iOS 16 and watchOS 8?

casjohnr

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
I had to do the whole factory reset thing on mine a couple of years ago but since I did that I've done several updates without hitting the same issue, strange

Anyway Series 8 to replace that and iPhone 14 Pro Max to replace my iPhone X, with the money saved up from not having to commute to work the past couple of years :)

Reactions: Duke24 and DaveN

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
this watch been dead in the water when you have to completely restore the watch just so there is enough memory for updates
That hasn’t been true for a long time. The updates for over a year or two haven’t required the restore method.

Reactions: seek3r

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Still going to keep mine, not gonna upgrade until the Apple Watch Ultra 2.
Waiting for Ultron Max 2 Ultra Dynamism Series with Ovulation Pro Technology (UPT) over here. Series 8 is too slow for my supercharged reproductive system.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.