MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue officially announced today that Apple has selected the state as the location of a new data center, which will see the company invest more than $1 billion over a nine-year period.
Gov. Bev Perdue today announced that Apple has selected North Carolina as the location for a new data center. The company is expected to invest more than $1 billion in the project over nine years.

"North Carolina continues to be a prime location for growing and expanding global technology companies," said Perdue. "We welcome Apple to North Carolina and look forward to working with the company as it begins providing a significant economic boost to local communities and the state."
The announcement comes on the heels of efforts by North Carolina's General Assembly to offer tax breaks in order to draw the company to the state. No location for the new center has been announced, although recent reports have pointed to Catawba County winning out over nearby Cleveland County.

Article Link: Apple Officially Selects North Carolina for New $1 Billion Data Center

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's a good boost in for the local economy; hopefully we see more reliable services.

Comment

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Yay for staying in the US of A. Good news for the economy there.

They should have made S. Jobs the CEO of GM.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Interesting choice of locations. Does Apple have a Data Center in the Midwest already? Either way good way to boost the local economy and use that cash reserve for some good. Now Apple needs to buy Adobe!

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
We need the JOBS!

People were throwing a fit over here because of all the tax breaks Apple is getting, but we really need to jobs here in NC.

Even if it is only 50 of them.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
People were throwing a fit over here because of all the tax breaks Apple is getting, but we really need to jobs here in NC.

After all the money the government has been throwing away of dying companies I think giving a tax break to a thriving one is a better deal.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

Oh, and a billion dollar data center will not create any new jobs at all in North Carolina? Interesting logic Mr. DipDog3.

Comment

DeepDish

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
help me out here

Help me out here, I just don't know.

What is a "data center"?

If there are different kinds, what kind is Apple building in NC?

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
At least NC made sure the employees would be guaranteed a certain wage and health care. A lot better deal than for towns that welcome Wal Mart.

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I wonder what they'll do with the data centre. Cloud apps, expansion of iTunes?

they use it to slow down my mobile me email even further and randomize response times of my mobile me email even more.:mad:

ah yes and they scramble my address book and calendar syncing even more.

Comment

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I wonder what they'll do with the data centre. Cloud apps, expansion of iTunes?

Uploading/Downloading video's from mobile devices (iPhone 3.0 rumor), improved MobileMe reliability, and hopefully improved data transferring for iDisk (upload/download rates are ABYSMAL for files transferring with iDisk via the Finder).

Comment

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Maybe they're going to be lowering the price of MobileMe to compete with Google's services, and they expect lots of new customers. Not many people are interested in the $100-a-year service of MobileMe, but if they bring it down to $30, a lot of average people may be interested.

Sure, this might anger a few people who have been paying the $100 a year lately, but ... :rolleyes:

Comment

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Help me out here, I just don't know.

What is a "data center"?

If there are different kinds, what kind is Apple building in NC?

A data center is a facility that contains a large concentration of computer servers, usually to facilitate distribution of massive amounts of data to numerous users. Since I'm not employed by Apple, I don't know Apple's agenda for this facility. One possible use of this data center would be to hold and distribute the millions of songs, applications and/or movies available through its iTunes Store.

Cloud computing is usually better handled by a "server farm." Often, the two types of server networks are housed in the same facility, and some consider the two terms synonyms. A server farm, in my humble view, is usually dedicated to large-scale manipulations of relatively small amounts of data. Many computer animation studios (Pixar, Blue Sky) have server farms that do nothing but render animated images. In this case, processing power/speed is much more important than storage space/IO throughput.

Comment

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
At least NC made sure the employees would be guaranteed a certain wage and health care. A lot better deal than for towns that welcome Wal Mart.

They don't have fair wages or health care benefits for Wal-Mart employees? :eek:

Cripes! Maybe if the towns welcomed a few more McDonalds' to do business, they would fare better (albeit fatter)? :rolleyes:

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Interesting choice of locations. Does Apple have a Data Center in the Midwest already? Either way good way to boost the local economy and use that cash reserve for some good. Now Apple needs to buy Adobe!

If by asking if Apple has a data center in the midwest already you're implying that NC is the midwest I think you need to check out a map. ;)

I'm pretty stoked about this because it does create some jobs ... the unemployment rate here is rising and rising ...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.