Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You underestimate apple then; they don't settle for second best. They might even be using a different manufacturing model that Samsung will be manufacturing for them. Nobody knows, so it's easy to counter idle speculation until it happens.

5400rpm hard drives in 2016 are considered "Best" are they?

It will all, in truth come down to how much Apple with to pay Samsung.
Different panel types/specs will come with different price points.

That will determine what Samsung supply Apple with. The spec that matches the price paid. Simple as that.

Reactions: Psyfuzz

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
5400rpm hard drives in 2016 are considered "Best" are they?

It will all, in truth come down to how much Apple with to pay Samsung.
Different panel types/specs will come with different price points.

That will determine what Samsung supply Apple with. The spec that matches the price paid. Simple as that.
Are we discussing oled or hard drives? Nobody knows apples plans for oled at this point?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You underestimate apple then; they don't settle for second best. They might even be using a different manufacturing model that Samsung will be manufacturing for them. Nobody knows, so it's easy to counter idle speculation until it happens.
I am telling you that there is absolutely no way Samsung will make a display for Apple better than the ones they use on their own phones.Samsung is in this for money and while they profit out of their relationship with Apple using slightly inferior screen components would enable them to get an edge with their own smartphones.

Apple knows this which is why it's already working on microled so as to not rely on Samsung

So Samsung has been supplying Apple with crap components all along? Man, those iPhones have just been crap all this time. It's a conspiracy! Samsung is behind the whole planned obsolescence thing. The mystery has finally been solved.
Not crap.Slightly inferior components.Notice how the TSMC A9 chip destroys the Samsung A9 in power and efficiency.Reason?TSMC does not make their own phones and does not have vested interests in making the iPhone slower.IN COMPlETE contrast,on Samsung's own phones their Exynos processors outperform the Snapdragon variant

Notice the trend here?

A major part of planned obsolescence comes from the software not hardware
As long as it's a good quality screen I won't care either way.

I can handle it if another maker has a better screen, I have bigger things to worry about lol.

When I pay close to a 1000 bucks on a phone I want THE BEST screen out there and the very best components.If I could settle I would have just gotten myself a Oneplus or a Huawei.Good is not good enough

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
I am telling you that there is absolutely no way Samsung will make a display for Apple better than the ones they use on their own phones.Samsung is in this for money and while they profit out of their relationship with Apple using slightly inferior screen components would enable them to get an edge with their own smartphones.

Apple knows this which is why it's already working on microled so as to not rely on Samsung

Not crap.Slightly inferior components.Notice how the TSMC A9 chip destroys the Samsung A9 in power and efficiency.Reason?TSMC does not make their own phones and does not have vested interests in making the iPhone slower.IN COMPlETE contrast,on Samsung's own phones their Exynos processors outperform the Snapdragon variant

Notice the trend here?

When I pay close to a 1000 bucks on a phone I want THE BEST screen out there and the very best components.If I could settle I would have just gotten myself a Oneplus or a Huawei.Good is not good enough

you're one of those people who anally analyze stuff you read on the internet and not real world tests. if no one told you there was 2 different a9 chips you wouldn't notice the difference. same thing with screens. are you going to take a loupe to your screens to see the individual pixels? no. Specs are one thing, real world use is something else. Only kids who like to brag on the internet care about specs.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well screen quality is much lower down my list of preferences in comparison to yours in that case.

I'm opting to keep my iPhone 6 this year rather than upgrading as it does everything I need in a phone and the screen is great. I'd rather spend £1000 on something else.

Reactions: I7guy and decafjava

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Notice the trend here?

An apple designed display might be better than a Samsung display. Who knows? At any rate we are into what-if games; similar to if SJ was alive he would...

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well screen quality is much lower down my list of preferences in comparison to yours in that case.

I'm opting to keep my iPhone 6 this year rather than upgrading as it does everything I need in a phone and the screen is great. I'd rather spend £1000 on something else.

And being the owner of an iPhone 6 myself the difference in screen quality between S7 and iPhone is night and day.Its absolutely huge.There is no way you can like an IPS LCD once you use Samsung's flagships for a few days

I agree the iPhone display is good but man oh man that OLED is out of this world good
An apple designed display might be better than a Samsung display. Who knows? At any rate we are into what-if games; similar to if SJ was alive he would...

Who is making the screen?Samsung.Samsung will not make a better screen than the one they use for their own phones.Seriously do you think they want to shoot themselves in the foot?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
And being the owner of an iPhone 6 myself the difference in screen quality between S7 and iPhone is night and day.Its absolutely huge.There is no way you can like an IPS LCD once you use Samsung's flagships for a few days

I agree the iPhone display is good but man oh man that OLED is out of this world good
I would never deny that the S7 has a better screen.

I use my screen with it set very dim so I'm not exactly pushing it to its ultimate quality anyway.
b552faac0ce6e08890fd03a7adf51d04.jpg

I know a few people with the S7 now and they all tone down the saturation and brightness setting. I think unless you are directly comparing, it will never be something you'll think about to be honest.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G5
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Who is making the screen?Samsung.Samsung will not make a better screen than the one they use for their own phones.Seriously do you think they want to shoot themselves in the foot?
Samsung have made components for Apple in the past under licence with contractual agreements in place that prevent them using certain technologies in their own products. If Apple pay handsomely for development and contribute to the design, it is very possible a screen could be produced that Samsung are unable to use.

I think it is unlikely as Samsung have focuses strongly on screen development in recent years, but the suggestion is not out of the realms of possibility.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

If they want apples business they might have to do what they might have to do. Said another way; Apple could pull all business and that would hurt.
[doublepost=1465297049][/doublepost]
I would never deny that the S7 has a better screen.

I use my screen with it set very dim so I'm not exactly pushing it to its ultimate quality anyway.
b552faac0ce6e08890fd03a7adf51d04.jpg

I know a few people with the S7 now and they all tone down the saturation and brightness setting. I think unless you are directly comparing, it will never be something you'll think about to be honest.
Funny I do the same thing, brightness is at a minimum.

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Agreed love my edge screen

IPhone is my daily driver but as a 2nd phone the quality is great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.