Apple on COVID-19 Coronavirus: Donations, Store Closings, WWDC and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a statement addressing their response to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic that has been affecting the entire world. The statement details many of the steps Apple has taken in response.

• Apple has committed $15 million in donations to the global response
  • Apple is matching employee donations two-to-one to support COVID-19 response efforts
  • All Apple retail stores outside of Greater China will close until March 27
  • Flexible work arrangements available to employees
  • Extensive, deep cleaning will continue at all sites
  • All hourly workers will continue to receive pay in alignment with business as usual operations
  • Expanded leave policies
  • Apple News has launched a new COVID-19 section
  • WWDC will be online this year
Apple's online store remains open, and for service and support, they point users to their online support site.

The statement, signed by Tim Cook, closes with the following:
There is no mistaking the challenge of this moment. The entire Apple family is indebted to the heroic first responders, doctors, nurses, researchers, public health experts and public servants globally who have given every ounce of their spirit to help the world meet this moment. We do not yet know with certainty when the greatest risk will be behind us.

And yet I have been inspired by the humanity and determination I have seen from all corners of our global community. As President Lincoln said in a time of great adversity: "The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew."

That's always how Apple has chosen to meet big challenges. And it's how we'll rise to meet this one, too.

Tim
The COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic has affected the entire world economy including Apple. Many other companies, organizations, and governments have been closing down activities to promote social distancing, in an attempt to reduce the transmission of the virus.

Article Link: Apple on COVID-19 Coronavirus: Donations, Store Closings, WWDC and More

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
No, because those weren’t as contagious nor as lethal, and didn’t have the potential to infect 60% of the population and kill 3% of those affected if this sort of action was not taken.
Killing almost 10,000 people in the US seems pretty lethal to me

Reactions: PC_tech

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006

Mortality for swine flu was 0.02%. Mortality for this could be over 3%. That’s 150 times more lethal. And that’s just the people who die, not those who get extremely ill requiring hospitalization. Imagine if the spread was as great as swine flu.

Reactions: Chidi

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
So you’re saying we will have more deaths in the US alone then so far total in the whole world?
Yes, b cause infection across the world has barely started.

With a final infection level of between 20% and 80% of the population and a death rate of about 1% (much lower for children, much higher for the elderly); projected death rates are 0.2% and 0.8% of the population. For USA that’s 660,000 to 2,640,000 people. Figures may turn out to be at the low end but it’s still a big number.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009

Do you understand the concept of proportion?

With the current data we have, a greater proportion of people who get infected with coronavirus will die than the proportion of people who died from swine flu. The mortality rate for coronavirus is 50x that of swine flu.

According to the CDC:
Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. If the same amount of people catch coronavirus, about 6 million people will die 600,000 people will die. (Edit <- remember kids, study your 3 Rs in school. Reading, riting, rithmetic.)

Last edited:
Reactions: lionel77

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Was this going on with swine flu ans bird flu?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on April 24, 2009, declared that the containment of swine flu in the United States was “not very likely.” Two days later, April 26, the Obama administration declared a public health emergency, before any American had been killed by the swine flu.
- - Post merged: - -

I admit I thought this was a minor thing. Way overblown. I was wrong. This is the right thing to do.
Hard to blame you. Some have been calling the coronavirus thing a hoax for weeks.

Even in this thread, people are still not appreciating the difference between coronavirus and the flu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Do you understand the concept of proportion?

With the current data we have, a greater proportion of people who get infected with coronavirus will die than the proportion of people who died from swine flu. The mortality rate for coronavirus is 50x that of swine flu.

According to the CDC:
Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. If the same amount of people catch coronavirus, about 6 million people will die.
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to see how these numbers add up. China has 1,427,647,786 people (as of 2018 in Wikipedi) and less then 4000 died so far (Things are getting better, Apple is even opening Apple stores). The USA has 328,239,523 people as of 2019.... so how does this add up?

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to see how these numbers add up. China has 1,427,647,786 people (as of 2018 in Wikipedi) and less then 4000 died so far (Things are getting better, Apple is even opening Apple stores). The USA has 328,239,523 people as of 2019.... so how does this add up?
So you think all of China's population was infected with Coronavirus and only 4000 died. Is that right?

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Thank a closer look, 5800 of those deaths are world wide, not just China.
My mistake, you are right. 3200 of the 81,000 in China have died. That gives them a mortality rate of 3.9%

But the more important point is, not all 1.4billion people in China have been infected. If they did, do you have an estimate of how many would die based on the data we currently have?

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
My mistake, you are right. 3200 of the 81,000 in China have died. That gives them a mortality rate of 3.9%

But the more important point is, not all 1.4billion people in China have been infected. If they did, do you have an estimate of how many would die based on the data we currently have?
You’re right, and you’re assuming everyone in the world will be infected.

Reactions: PC_tech

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
You’re right, and you’re assuming everyone in the world will be infected.
Would it be reasonable to think that the same number of people who got infected with swine flu in the US (60 million) could get infected with coronavirus? If so, given the data we have today for coronavirus mortality rates, do you have an estimate of how many Americans would lose their lives?

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
No. Death rates from coronavirus infections is about 1% not 10%. So, 60.8 infections would result in (only) 600,000 deaths.
Yep, my bad.. my maths is not very good today. That still makes it 50x more deadly than swine flu, no?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.