Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratmandu82

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Open up the AppleTv for app development and they'll fly of the shelves. Or not and only sell a few million. Your choice.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Q: Don't do hobbies to be hobbies -- do it to make something bigger?

A: We do it because we think it'll lead us somewhere. We'll see. 4 million isn't a small number and there are a lot of believers in it.

That guy is hilarious! :D

Spill it already! :p

Glassed Silver:mac

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I know a lot will think this is stupid. Heck even I think it sounds far fetched, but does anyone else get the feeling that they might merge product lines here? The products I am talking about are the mythical iPanel and the iMac. I know it's far fetched, but i can't shake the feeling that this might be the case. Has there been any speculation regarding this so called iPanel and its possible release. If so, does that time frame match up with what some have been recently speculating about the iMac(meaning september or october release)?

I think you could be on to something. OS X and iOS are slowly converging and I think Apple is slowly moving away from the Mac as a product targeted towards the mainstream. The iPhone proved the technology, the iPad proved people would use a device that is more consumer electronic than computer in their day to day lives, and I think TV is the figuring out part of the UI piece of the puzzle of getting a very functional Apple device hung on our living room walls. That is not saying the Mac is going anywhere any time soon, I think the demand for a traditional desktop/laptop computer won't be gone for awhile, but I can see this being Apple's transition... Pulling the average home consumer away from a computer and to multiple devices that work together.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why do i keep thinking they are gonna get rid of the iPod touch and replace it with a smaller iPad?

Because you are not Steve Jobs?

----------

I think you could be on to something. OS X and iOS are slowly converging and I think Apple is slowly moving away from the Mac as a product targeted towards the mainstream.

Actually, to any software developer it is quite obvious that there is no convergence at all where it counts to end users, and that is in the user interface. Technologies are converging, which is beneficial to all the developers, but not the UI.

On the other hand, it seems that Microsoft got it just as wrong as you did when they start their copiers and produced Windows 8 - perfect convergence between desktop and tablet with the result that you can't use it on either :D

I really like my Apple TV.

Hopefully Apple continues to progress the platform.

For some perspective, the Apple TV revenue is about 60 percent more than TiVo revenue in their best year. For some other perspective, it is about 40 percent of the total revenue of Humax, and 20 percent of Pace. And that's hardware only, not counting any revenue from movie sales and rentals.

Apple really needs to be judged in a YoY capacity.

Even that can be misleading. Apple released new Macs in Feb. 2011 and sold masses of them through April-June 2011. This year, sales had actually dropped down before WWDC and there was very limited time left in the quarter to sell Retina MBPs. After all, we are almost four weeks into the next quarter and only now is it that supply starts getting close to demand.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
"...For the first time in a long time - I'm not remotely excited about what Apple has in store for the remainder of this year. Something isn't there - that once was... . :(

I have some of that same feeling. Listening to the conference call I was concerned about how "talking head corporate" it was sounding. Blabbing on about how some school district in the mid-west was using iPads and some company used the iPad to streamline their processes - Duuuuh !!!

Boring, bland and uninspiring. A lot of continued talk about that "pipeline" - we need to see it this fall. I miss seeing and listening to Steve.

My belief is that Apple will report some HUGE numbers around January 23 or so. Tough sledding for the next few months though...

BTW - buying opportunity :)

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The fact that the iPhone and iPad together accounted for nearly 75% of sales is pretty amazing, I think.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Nope, you're just realistic. ;)

The big question I have now for Apple and the rest of the tech industry is: Where do we go from here? The "computer" has evolved from a room of vacuum tubes to a desktop to a laptop to a portable screen of varying sizes. What's the next step?

That is the interesting question isn't it? It seems like for the first time that all the big advancements and progressions are being driven from the consumer side. For nearly all of tech history, and certainly the history of personal computers, the big advancements came from the high-end profesional markets and trickled down into the consumers hands once the tech became affordable. Now, lots of advancements are going the opposite way. What was pioneered in smart phones has tricked up to tablets, and now what is working with those technologies is trickling up to the personal computer. It is going to be really exciting to see how it all shakes out.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
But it could be soooo much better!!! Eg Web browser, more tv channels! And maybe Apps???
Agreed. I also love my atv but would love to see some more content. Who knows Tim Cook did have some meetings set up a while ago with some media execs didn't he?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Why don't they just try being open and do away with their era of secretive tactics. It's so stupid, it gets leaked no matter what so you might as well just announce what your planning yourself rather than having everyone hear it from your manufacturers in Asia. It would probably help their bottom line in the long run.

So stupid in fact, that Apple is now the richest, top grossing company in the world.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh no.. could it be that consumers other than the iLemmings have seen the light re Big Brother...
New iPhone will have the battery glued to the motherboard... the iSheep will come in droves to buy it....

Oh, you are so funny. Using three iWords in such a short post: iLemmings, iPhone, and iSheep. I am truly in awe of you.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Oh no.. could it be that consumers other than the iLemmings have seen the light re Big Brother...
New iPhone will have the battery glued to the motherboard... the iSheep will come in droves to buy it....

iLemmings and iSheep are my favorite animals. Their known to be very perceptive and they tend to avoid taking long and winding paths to the reach the same place.

I guess you could call them ...efficient.

:p

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
still no headline that Apple Sales and Profit missed Analysts' Expectations.

what is this?! macrumors in cahoots with apple?!?!?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Apple, the worlds most valued company, grew 23% over one year, beating their own quarterly predication. That is only disappointing in a VERY specialized sense of the word.

It blows my mind that in middle of all these othe electronic companies losing money hand over fist and the poor world economy, Apple beats its last year sales and people are disappointed...What?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I think you could be on to something. OS X and iOS are slowly converging and I think Apple is slowly moving away from the Mac as a product targeted towards the mainstream. The iPhone proved the technology, the iPad proved people would use a device that is more consumer electronic than computer in their day to day lives, and I think TV is the figuring out part of the UI piece of the puzzle of getting a very functional Apple device hung on our living room walls. That is not saying the Mac is going anywhere any time soon, I think the demand for a traditional desktop/laptop computer won't be gone for awhile, but I can see this being Apple's transition... Pulling the average home consumer away from a computer and to multiple devices that work together.
Flood123 deleted his post, but I don't think it's far-fetched or ridiculous at all either. A couple of years ago I read an article on one of the tech websites that predicted a "three-screen" strategy, and it makes too much sense to ignore. The theory is that Apple is moving towards a convergence of hardware (and software to a degree) platforms so that ideally, a consumer would own a large screen (iTV), medium screen (iPad) and a small screen (iPhone). All would provide access to the same content, thus allowing you to consume or utilize the content anywhere you were with obvious tradeoffs of portability vs screen size. Most techies blow this off because they think it's ridiculous that they would get rid of Mac. I don't think Apple necessarily plans to get rid of the Mac, just that it would be marginalized. Most tech geeks just don't realize how much in the minority we are.

I think Steve probably realized awhile back that most people don't use the applications that us tech geeks "need" a computer for - website programming, photoshop, design work, etc. iOS is designed to optimize content consumption, rather than creation. Content creation is only utilized by a small percentage of the population. Thus, as more and more people get an iPad, they'll completely forego getting a PC or Mac. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Apple release a hybrid iPad/iMac - an iPad with a 20" screen that you use on a desktop. It could serve as a fourth device for those who want something on their desktop that has more screen real estate than their iPad.

I know a lot of people will disagree with the above sentiment, but I've observed this recently with my own parents whom I gave my old Macbook Pro to, a couple of years ago. When I recently convinced them to get an iPad, they really liked it (OS X still confuses them), and have started using the Macbook less and less in spite of the smaller screen size.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It blows my mind that in middle of all these othe electronic companies losing money hand over fist and the poor world economy, Apple beats its last year sales and people are disappointed...What?

For guys in their 30's and 40's it is even more amazing when you know where Apple came from, and remember how far they had fallen in the mid-1990's.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think that people are finally getting what Steve has been saying.

1. Get rid of the filesystem and you'll have more people "get it"
2. Get rid of multiple windowed environments and that too eases things

That being said I do not see iOS and OS X merging at anything other than the layers below the initial UI and GUI. There's really no need to merge them.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
only the new ipad is driving the sale for this quarter.

many were waiting for macbook refresh. in fact with the on-going rumors, many are still waiting for a 13" rMBP.

and with the rumor of mini iPad, the ipad sale take a hit too.

and since the next iphone is predicted to be around oct, iphone sale are also affected.

i believe next quarter could do better since it will take into consideration of the gain in refreshed macbook including rMBP.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Does Cook get Apple TV???

Hmm, I'm starting to worry a bit about Cook. He seems to be depending more on spreadsheets than a good understanding of the industry. Apple TV a hobby? Not enough numbers units moved? How about the fact that Apple TV is being used for AirPlay to support all kinds of uses (from iPads and iPhones, and soon from OSX boxes). He can't seriously believe that at this point it is only a hobby in the living room type device, can he?

Then, I add in killing off products like the xServe and dumbing down the more recent versions of OSX server (removing critical features). Continual dumbing down various other software products. Overly focusing on consumer lines of products and design AT THE EXPENSE OF products which might be contributing to the consumer success, or be able to benefit from the consumer success.

I've been an Apple advocate for an awfully long time, but I'm starting to see little signs of 'business types' type moves reminiscent of Apple's dark days when the 'industry experts' were running the company rather than people who really understood the market and had vision. I hope I'm wrong.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Nobody is disappointed.

There are those who are quite Ok with Apple's results.
And there are those who are jealous and claim to be disappointed.

21 million iPads and Macs makes Apple the #1 computer maker this quarter. Why would anybody be disappointed?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Actually, to any software developer it is quite obvious that there is no convergence at all where it counts to end users, and that is in the user interface. Technologies are converging, which is beneficial to all the developers, but not the UI.

On the other hand, it seems that Microsoft got it just as wrong as you did when they start their copiers and produced Windows 8 - perfect convergence between desktop and tablet with the result that you can't use it on either :D

I would totally agree with you that Microsoft got it very wrong. I don't think you can converge a UI between devices that are so fundamentally different, and you shouldn't try. Metro makes zero sense to me on a traditional desktop, and the Launchpad Apple added in Lion still baffles me.

Consumers expect to interact differently with different devices. No one expects to operate a bicycle the same way as a car. A motorcycle is might be similar, but it is still completely different. So, why would any company expect anyone to want to interact the same way with their wall mounted device vs. their laptop vs. their smart phone? Why can't Apple, Microsoft, or even Google have a single platform that supports multiple UIs?

Like you said, the underlying tech is converging, which is good for developers. So just make it super simple for a developer to bundle multiple UIs in their App. Apple is already doing it with iPad/iPhone, though they are very similar UIs, just take it the extra step. One app, multiple ways to interact with it, or even better, one app that can make use of all those different UIs simultaneously in one awesome user experience. That is the future.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Hmm, I'm starting to worry a bit about Cook. He seems to be depending more on spreadsheets than a good understanding of the industry. Apple TV a hobby? Not enough numbers units moved? How about the fact that Apple TV is being used for AirPlay to support all kinds of uses (from iPads and iPhones, and soon from OSX boxes). He can't seriously believe that at this point it is only a hobby in the living room type device, can he?

he obviously can't say that a new apple tv is in the work. that against the secrecy that they have. but i am sure something working out in the lab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.