Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I don't yet have an iPhone but two of my friends do and while I can reproduce a slight drop on their phone by holding it tightly, I can reproduce that kind of drop on many other phones as well depending on where I hold it.

It's was a design decision. Albeit a stupid one.

Apple decided to put form over function and personally I don't have a problem with it. The phone would be been thicker and maybe wider if the outside band hadn't been used as an antenna because the antenna would then be on the inside. I feel terrible for people who are affected by this in such a way that makes the phone unusable. What it comes down to, though, is that you, as a consumer, can vote with your wallet. If you believe Apple made a wrong decision putting form over function then don't buy the phone! If you have already bought it then go return it and get your money back. If enough people do you can bet that Apple will never make this mistake again.

If you're just here because you like bashing Apple but you have not real vested interest in this issue then please get a life.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Someone please explain then, all the videos of calls dropping when holding it that way, but not when on a table?

Well, it can be explained that when it is on the table it has enough signal to work (it is incorrectly displaying full signal, when it should display 1 or 2 bars), then when you pick it up, your hand is sheilding the antenna and the call is disconnected...

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
Hoodwinked

So, we've been hoodwinked all along by Apple and AT&T.

FALSE BARS.....

...giving the impression the signal strength is stronger than it really is. Looks like Apple had no choice but to come clean on this admission.

Innnnnncredible!

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
How does this fix the problem where my 3G data completely stops the second I touch the corner (as seen in my sig vid)? Oh right, it doesn't.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Look, my iPhone 4 is a great phone. Since I use a case, this really is a non- issue, for me. However, without a case this is a real issue. Obviously, it's not only a software issue (if that?) but a hardware issue, as well.

Since they remind people that they can return the phone for a full refund (no restocking fee?), they are, probably, covered legally. Unfortunately, this really could be a PR DISASTER!

MarkPB15

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
I love my iPhone 4 and haven't experienced any dropped calls but this is complete BS. The tests show that this thing gets better reception with a case on and worse reception with the death grip. I live in an area with very good coverage so it doesn't affect me, but I guess people experiencing dropped calls should get a case or return the phone.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Re-posting from another thread:

So no...if this is taking weeks it's not JUST the bar change. They'll be doing other things...things they don't want to talk about in public. I'm betting that 3rd party reviews will find the updated iPhone 4 will perform better even when NOT looking at the bars.

What if they're taking a "few weeks" so that those waiting won't be able to return it when it doesn't work?

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
First, they seem to say that the baseline display of the bars is incorrect. Ok, but how does that answer the question that the iPhone 4 bars go down, while none of the other iPhone bars go down, since they are all using the same wrong formula? It doesn't, the iPhone 4 still is losing more signal than the other phones, no matter how its 'displayed'? This has been verified with actual speed tests, having no relation to any bars.

This is not new. Anandtech proved empirically this was the case in their report earlier this week.

Apple won't be "fixing" anything. There is no "defect". All phone attenuate. Some more. Some less. The iPhone falls into the more category. Doesn't mean it's broke. It does mean it requires a stronger signal.

Your option is clear and completely fair. Return the phone for a full refund.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
So, we've been hoodwinked all along by Apple and AT&T.

FALSE BARS.....

...giving the impression the signal strength is stronger than it really is. Looks like Apple had no choice but to come clean on this admission.

Innnnnncredible!

Apple has said the false bar issue from the beginning. You're free to return the iPhone if you want...oh wait you probably do not have one...nvm...

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I think people like to complain just to hear themselves talk. No matter what apple did you guys would still complain.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
This doesn't explain why an iPhone 4 drops the call while the 3GS doesn't.

The difference between the two is that the 3GS doesn't have antennas on the surface. It's contact with the skin directly on the antenna, and the affect that has, which causes the iPhone 4 to be more sensitive to the problem.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What if they're taking a "few weeks" so that those waiting won't be able to return it when it doesn't work?

I'm guessing that they'll extend the return period until after the fix comes.

They're getting enough bad press, they won't want to add more on top of that. Companies tend to get extra friendly at times like these.

I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
MY GUESS:

Apple will "fix" this signal indicator issue AND they'll keep looking for a way to solve the REAL issue. Their press release basically gives them a few weeks to get this resolved.

When the update is released, my guess is that there will be other "fixes" in that release.

Maybe there will also be a recommendation from Apple that says, "To further enhance your already strong iPhone 4 signal, please remove your SIM card and..."

Agreed.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
When I hold my 3G, bars start dropping off -- though not nearly as severely as what's reported with the iPhone 4. So I can see how, though software, Apple can force the device to hold a signal better when the antenna is bridged. I assume it will come at a cost of battery life when the phone is held that way.

I do think it's perversely humorous that the phone has been reporting a better signal than what's actually there. (Amazing! It's now AT&T's problem!) That would explain the dropped calls when bridging the antenna -- the iPhone didn't really have as many bars as it thought it did and it moderates the signal enough to lose it. But still, I agree with others: simply holding the phone should not cause such a serious issue. The only way I can see Apple's testers missing this is that they all tested the iPhone under ideal conditions.

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
While I'm sure that's true, it's completely irrelevant. Every phone is a series of tradeoffs between style, weight, antenna design, etc. etc.

An old brick of a Nokia is skewed heavily towards reception. More modern phones such as iPhone and Driod are skewed towards style.

At the end of the day either the antenna design is "good enough" for your particular locale, or it's not. If it's not, then you option is to buy a phone with a different antenna design.

I disagree, I think it is relevant. Apple are saying that they are going to modify the phone to better represent the network coverage and in doing so deny that there is a hardware flaw that causes the signal drop. In their statement they're shifting unfair blame on the networks, which shouldn't have to suffer because Apple made a bad call favouring design over functionality.

You're right though, in that the ultimate decision falls on the consumers shoulders and because of that they bear some of the responsibility if they decide to keep their phone.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
my take

1) it claims to be solely a software issue
2) they're making the bars taller...

So the problem is twofold:
1) the iPhone displays more bars than it has
2) the antenna causes some signal degradation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2
of up to ~24dB

So, if you are on the actual threshold where a decrease of 24dB would lead to very poor signal, the iPhone will initially display deceptively high reception before apparently plummeting further than is actually true.

Yes it is a software issue, yes the iPhone does suffer degradation when held, and more than other phones, but not so much for it to be considered defective.

It's easy to speculate that the reason the bars were anomalously high before is that Apple were trying to trick people into believing their signal to be higher than it actually was, thus making the phone seem better than others.

Ars wrote an article about the bar to reception correlation two years ago:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2008/09/cell-bars-reception.ars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.