Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
This whole thing stinks. I should not be able to make a call drop when I hold my phone a certain way unless I'm pressing the damn "end call" button. Starting out with 5 bars and then ending up with a dropped call when I hold my phone the way I naturally hold it is unacceptable. I know people say to just return the phone if you don't like it but how about Apple taking some responsibility here instead of insulting our intelligence with this cosmetic fix? This is not just a case of the phone not accurately displaying signal strength. If someone can load web pages just fine with the phone sitting on a desk and they can't load those same web pages when holding the phone, something is seriously wrong.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Then explain to me how I had perfect reception at my home and my office with my old iphone but now I hold the iphone 4 and the call drops.

Complete BULL****

QFT. I'm in the same boat! This isn't a software issue, its an issue with the iPhone 4's "brilliant engineering". They put this press release out to calm down people who were worried about reception issues, and now they think it'll be fixed. It won't. The iPhone 4's design is flawed.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This is not new. Anandtech proved empirically this was the case in their report earlier this week.

Apple won't be "fixing" anything. There is no "defect". All phone attenuate. Some more. Some less. The iPhone falls into the more category. Doesn't mean it's broke. It does mean it requires a stronger signal.

Your option is clear and completely fair. Return the phone for a full refund.

So the iPhone's signal is worse than other phones because it has an antenna on the outside. Why doesn't Apple admit that then, instead of playing it off like its simply a miscalculation as to how bars are displayed??

phanfave

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Apple is placating the masses

This will not fix the problem. Chance are most people use a case in the first place, so it won't bother them. For those of us that use it naked, we'll still ground out the antenna. Apple released a bad product, and instead of risking sales of billions of dollars, they're trying to sweep this under the rug. It's obviously cheaper to pay off the lawyers of the class action lawsuit, than to do a recall. As a long time Mac user that has converted over many people, I'm ashamed Apple is not doing right here. Maybe it's time to start moving on. Apple has become too big to do right. If the fix doesn't correct the issue, the IP4 is going back and I'll hobble along with the 3G until something better comes out. Just sucks for me that I dropped over a grand on the app store. Not that I mind that I spent the money, I got a lot of good use out the programs I bought. Just that I'm taking a hit if I choose another technology.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Funny how so many people are bashing before the trying the fix. Oh MacRumors.

iphoneCraze1080

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
seriously Apple!, although we are apple fans, we are not stupid. I am having enough of these signal excuses. just accept itz a defect in the antenna and try to make a real fix atleast in the next version. It is hard to accept these excuses. Now I wish that you guys face some serious lawsuits and although I like your products, Hope you guys get hit just the way Microsoft got. You guys are getting way too much over your head.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
I thought about that too. They don't want to publicly admit they really screwed up so a quiet update hidden in their "status bar update" might be coming.

Or I could be reaching...
Rubbish. Apple openly admits to have made a rather blunt error, and they are about to fix it.

And yes, the iOS 4.0.1 update will include a number of other bug fixes, but there won't be a hidden agenda, simply because there was no 'reception issue'. End of story. Period.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
This is ridiculous.

Based on the testing posted earlier, there's obviously a real issue. Covering it up with a different grading scale is not a real fix. I'm pretty disappointed that this is what they came up with...

Reading is fundamental. If you read Anandtech and didn't realize they had a scale issue then you have comprehension problems.

Because the scale is non-linear the display is:
1) Leading you to believe you are starting with a much stronger signal than your really have
2) Leading you to see a much larger drop in "bars" than is really occuring when you touch the phone
3) Which leads to you perceiving a "sudden loss" of all signal. When in reality if you had started with 1-2 bars and saw the signal drop you would have expected that.

So that is a legit problem.

But the bigger issue is the iPhone 4 antenna requires a stronger signal than iPhone 3g or 3gs. (My original iPhone is about on par with the 4 for signal.)

So even if you had adequate signal strength with a 3g or 3gs, that may not be enough with the 4. This is a hardware design decision. it's not a flaw. They traded style / form over function. For the majority (> 50%) of the people this is fine. But there is a huge minority of people for whom this isn't acceptable given signal strength in their area.

if you happen to be one of these people you have several bad options:
1) Hold it diffferently
2) Use a case
3) Use a bluetooth headset

and 1 good option:
Return the phone.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
LoL, i call ********. no matter how tightly i grip my Nokia 5800 XpresMusic. NO bars drop :|

Apple = FAIL

My blackberry 8330 does. I can hold it and watch it drop 2-3 bars depending on my location. The issue pertaining to the death grip is relative to your location. We all know this therefore we can rule out the logic that it is indeed a hardware failure. I can go to work, death grip my phone, and no change in bars whatsoever for a solid 10 minutes of gripping it. At home, drops from 4 bars to 1. Is the hardware of the phone changing between these two locations? No. Is there a difference of location and proximity to a tower? Yes. Studies have shown the threshold being used for phone is 20 dB between bars correct? So it is a calibration issue. If you are experiencing other problems like NO reception or data transfer then that may be a side issue unrelated to this. I don't see how this is so hard for people to understand. The software is miscalculating the number of bars in relation to the signal and proximity of the tower. If this supposed update fixes the issue then great, if not then we will resume the issue. I think people on here are never appeased. Apple ignores the issue, they get pissy; Apple acknowledges the issue, admits the error and promises a fix, still pissy. Get over yourselves, seriously.

I put a bumper on my phone and I haven't looked back. No reception issues and no worries of scratching that beautiful Gorilla Glass.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
2_62_pollution_fish.jpg

This press release smells of it.

"lolz we forgot to code one of the most obvious things right that hasn't changed since the first iteration of the software, problem?
problem1251559108.jpg
"

puckshaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Awesome. I could care less how many bars are displayed. The simple fact is that if I so much as lightly touch that area of the phone, my 3G data stops dead in it's tracks. Not a slight slow down; stops. I can let go and it instantly goes back to normal. The bars have nothing to do with this.

Oh and please stop saying this only affects lefties. I'm right handed and have always cupped my phone in my left hand. By the way, I can't reproduce this on my 3G iPhone running iOS4 to save my life. I can completely engulf it in both hands and squeeze the life out of it. Full signal with no affect on 3G data.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Who here remembers the launch of the 3G? Wasn't there an almost identical situation, minus the gripping, and software update that changed how the bars were displayed?

Interesting, because this coming update is for the 3G also.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
Yes seriously folks, if you are unhappy with your phone, or ANY product at that, RETURN IT. You the consumer ALWAYS HAVE the final say in these things.

As for the data transfers being crippled when held the "wrong" way, I personally have not encountered this problem. I've actually even had results of 3000kbps down and 1200kbps up when at 1 bar. which is great. Now rf signals are never consistant and ive had results as low as 500kps down and 61kbps up at 3 bars.

But honestly, overall my browsing and call experiences with the iPhone 4 has met and exceeded my expectations compared to my old 3GS.

A lot of people are obsessing and complaining and are forgetting to even use their phones. Just use it, and all will be well.

3 yrs ago i had a razr phone that didnt even get a decent internet experience.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
It is a software issue when programs or computer functions installed into the device are not operating properly. So with Apple's placebo bar display, this may be the case. Finally, I won't be lied to by Apple after this update, and I will know how many bars I should really have.

It is a hardware issue when a physical component of a device causes the device to malfunction. When held on one side, the phone continuously drops bars to the point of no cell/data service until ultimately, the phone drops calls. How can u call something an iPhone when it doesn't even work as a phone? It is simply an over-glamorized iPod Touch without a proper cell signal. And it can be replicated! The iPhone can drop bars to the point that it drops calls, and this is an issue shared by millions. This is a hardware issue. This is not a software issue. Apple iPhone 4's clearly have a (hardware) design flaw which can only be fixed by fixing a tangible component of the device itself, or with Apple's recommendation, covering it up with a $30 bumper.

Chris Pirillo said it best when he described it as Apple selling us the disease (signal issues) while also having the cure (bumpers).

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Yes it is a software issue, yes the iPhone does suffer degradation when held, and more than other phones, but not so much for it to be considered defective.

I don't know about that... 9dB more attenuation than the other phones tested is HUGE. I design radios and we spend weeks or months trying to squeeze out another 1dB of performance. To leave 9dB on the table because of an antenna design is incredible to me.

Now, this doesn't tell the whole story. Anandtech says anecdotally that the sensitivity of the radio is improved. What would really allow us to see the whole picture is if we knew by how much. Unfortunately, this is hard to test.

If we lost 9dB because of the antenna but picked up 7dB with increased sensitivity, then you might be able to see why they traded-off performance for size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.