Apple on Right to Repair: We Want Customers to Be Confident Their Products Will Be 'Repaired Safely and Correctly'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Right to Repair advocates continue to lobby the U.S. government, arguing that large tech companies like Apple are monopolizing repairs of consumer electronics in order to preserve profits, reports Axios.

[​IMG]
    Image: iFixit.com

In testimony before the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law last month, Nathan Proctor of the non-profit U.S. Public Interest Research Group claimed that "repair hurts sales," giving Apple "an incentive to restrict repair of their devices."

Similarly, in a letter submitted to the subcommittee last month, The Repair Association's executive director Gay Gordon-Byrne wrote that "manufacturers have no reasons for blocking repair other than money," referring to the "monopolization of repair" as a "huge profit opportunity."

In March, California became the 20th state to introduce Right to Repair legislation in the U.S., according to iFixit. Apple representatives have continually opposed these bills, which if passed would require companies to make repair parts, tools, and documentation available to the public.

In a statement, an Apple spokesperson told Axios that Apple's goal is to ensure its products are "repaired safely and correctly," while touting the company's growing network of Apple Authorized Service Providers:
    Apple Authorized Service Providers have access to certified parts and service guidelines from Apple. There are over 1,800 of these authorized locations in the United States, which Apple said is "three times as many locations as three years ago." As of June, that includes every Best Buy store in the country.

Right to Repair legislation aims to make these parts and documentation available to independent shops and customers directly.

Article Link: Apple on Right to Repair: We Want Customers to Be Confident Their Products Will Be 'Repaired Safely and Correctly'

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Sure Tim, Just send the link to where I can order genuine Apple Parts at a fair price and I'm good. :)

3. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

I'm a fan of the Apple products that I own, but this is a load of bs. If the repair is not repaired 'correctly', that's between the consumer and the repair shop. Places that do bad repairs will become known as such and people will avoid them. In the mean time, places that do good repair work will save consumers thousands of dollars every year, which is money that wouldn't go to Apple, hence why they don't want anyone else repairing the hardware they make.

4. Pelea macrumors 6502

It is MUCH better for apple to repair your computer for $1000 than have some random hobo do it for $100 even if they do the same thing. Apple knows best!!

5. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

How do you keep a secure enclave secured, if everyone can physically access it?

6. FamVR macrumors member

Apple must have missed the videos from Louis Rossmann.

I had an iPhone repaired by Apple and later ran into issues...turned out that two screws where missing.

7. HardRain macrumors regular

It's obvious why they are doing it, just wish Apple would be honest about it, sick of all the hypocrisy. From slowing down devices, to non upgradable Macs, its all about profit, which is fine, but just stop pretending its for the consumers.

8. SomeSoftwareGuy macrumors newbie

SomeSoftwareGuy

But, but, but, it's just so dangerous to repair things... and, and, and, how can you know how these things work?

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Louis Rossmann is about as far away as you can possibly get for an objective opinion about Apple.

10. thund3rcat macrumors newbie

If you're out of warranty, then you already have a brick, it wouldn't even matter if you mess up the repair yourself.

11. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Those who would give up essential rights of reparability, to purchase a little safety, deserve neither reparability nor safety.

12. MotorMikey macrumors newbie

Ensure it’s repaired “safely and correctly”… right.
    While I don’t disagree, if people are allowed to repair their cars - objects that weigh thousands of pounds and transports people at high speeds - then yeah, it’s not unreasonable for a person to expect to be able to replace the battery on their phone.

13. Freida macrumors 68000

I see Apple's side but I also disagree with it. Their repair pricing is insane and having worked at Apple I know that most of the repairs are actually not repairs. They just replace the broken part and thats it. You could easily train anyone with decent skill to be able to repair anything. Its not very complicated.
    So, I suppose I would be for this change even though I don't live in US. However, once its in US the parts will be easily available elsewhere too. So yeah, lets go for this :)

14. Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

I love Apple products but they are being greedy ****s and Louis Rossmann is right about Apple in repair issues.

I hope a strong Right to Repair legislation is effective soon.

Also, Apple wants to sell the image of being a eco-friendly company... but replacing things is not eco-friendly. Repairing things is.

15. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

A business owner with a $20K Mac Pro shouldn't bet their business-critical workstation on a random guy who does it for $100. Us mere mortals with our $250 iPod touch, maybe?

16. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Until it blows up or catches fire. Then it must be Apple’s fault and it’s time to sue.

17. Ronlap macrumors regular

Ronlap

No problem Apple. Design for repairability and sell the parts. Even if my 84 y.o. mum can't repair her phone, I should be able to do it for her. #1 would be battery replacement.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2019 ---
    I see what you did there...

If they are designed for repairability, this shouldn't happen.

18. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

This is terrible legislation and over reach.

Yes. Apple absolutely should be allowed to void warranties based on self repair.

No. Apple should never be forced to sell parts.

They aren’t running a charity.

19. Johnny London macrumors member

Johnny London

I highly recommend listening to Louis Rossmann on YouTube who seems to have gathered a lot of experience in Apple repairs from his shop in NYC. There is a lot us consumers don’t know.

20. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

By keeping the internals of the chip secret, which Apple already does. Everyone has physical access to the chip - you only need to open the cover of the device to get to it.

21. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Do you know what a charity is lol

22. Johnny London macrumors member

Johnny London

Charity is not the issue, environmental responsibility is.

23. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

So what Apple is saying that, because they are Apple, their products are more deserving of inflated repair prices?

I've no doubt that the real reason for this is to control brand reputation (almost impossible if a repair shop screws up your Dad's MacBook and he proceeds to complain on the internet). But consumer choice is what matters.

24. bstpierre macrumors 6502a

Exactly!

25. farkingdom macrumors member

I have a iPhone 7 Plus which I wiped with alcohol wipes and the alcohol magically slipped inside the screen and now I have a dead brick. Repairing it cost nearly or close to the price of a new iPhone 7 Plus sold under discount here.
    Why is it so expensive?!