Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has once again reclaimed the title of most valuable publicly traded company marking the first time the Cupertino company has held that title since December.

As noted by CNBC, Apple surpassed Microsoft and Amazon this afternoon with a closing price of $174.24, for a market capitalization of $821.59 billion.

applestock-800x695.jpg

That beats out Microsoft's market value of $813.48 billion and Amazon's market value of $805.70 billion. Earlier this week, Apple also briefly surpassed the other two companies, and the top title has been shifting back and forth for months now.

Apple saw a significant drop in market value in January after lowering its revenue guidance for the first fiscal quarter of 2019 to $84 billion, down from $89 to $93 billion.

Apple's stock has recovered somewhat since its earnings release on January 29 where it reported revenue of $84.31 billion and net quarterly profit of $19.965 billion, or $4.18 per diluted share.

It was Apple's second best quarter ever in terms of revenue and profit, despite the fact that it ultimately ended up being lower than expected due to flagging iPhone sales.

Article Link: Apple Once Again the Most Valuable Public Company in the World

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
This can’t be true. The people who post here assured us that Tim Cook’s greed guaranteed Apple’s collapse, and that this was the beginning.
[doublepost=1549490747][/doublepost]
Why should we I care? I care everything they
have created recently has issues and they
want more money for it.

I must own different “everything they have created lately” devices than you because none of them have any issues.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
dum dum duuuuum
This can’t be true. The people who post here assured us that Tim Cook’s greed guaranteed Apple’s collapse, and that this was the beginning.
[doublepost=1549490747][/doublepost]

I must own different “everything they have created lately” devices than you because none of them have any issues.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
This isn't going to last. I just don't see how Apple will keep growing in the future. All signs point to stagnating growth:
  • mature smartphone industry
  • no new innovative product in the pipeline: the self-driving car project was a bust, AR will rely on gimmicky controls on your iPhone/iPad preventing long use sessions because of how goofy you look when using it. Thus preventing mass adoption.
  • India being Apple's next market to corner is being hard to play with
So overall, I just don't see how Apple can keep posting record profits every 4th quarter as they have been for the last 10 years going forward. Consider me skeptical, but just being honest here from what I can see as an armchair enthusiast analyst.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Why should we care? I care everything they
have created recently has issues and they
want more money for it.
If what they are making does not work for you then you should look elsewhere.
This isn't going to last. I just don't see how Apple will keep growing in the future. All signs point to stagnating growth:
  • no new innovative product in the pipeline: the self-driving car project was a bust, AR will rely on gimmicky controls on your iPhone/iPad preventing long use sessions because of how goofy you look when using it. Thus preventing mass adoption.
So overall, I just don't see how Apple can keep posting record profits every 4th quarter as they have been for the last 10 years going forward. Consider me skeptical, but just being honest here from what I can see as an armchair enthusiast analyst.
Sure the smartphone market is mature, but the smartwatch market is still in its infancy. How was the self driving car project a bust? They haven't even announced anything about it. AR in its current form is next to useless. Once they can make the technology small enough to fit in glasses it could be huge.

Also, their services division continues to grow.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
But, wait. That can't be. Apple is failing, Tim is a dummy that doesn't know how to run a company. They make shoddy products and the pricces prices are insane. Apple will go out of business any day now. Oh wait, that's just stupid comments from MR. I guess the real world is a lot different than that :)

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Sounds like the same song that has been sung by analysts since the iPod. They miss what Apple really is. They are an affordable luxury company. While others chase market share, Apple takes over the top end with usable features that others can’t match for years even though they may have released a subpar version years earlier. Like TouchID and FaceID.

By ensuring they are profitable on each sale they only need a small percentage of the full market. Also, by being the status mark of success, those who buy the cheaper items aspire to be able to step up.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
But, wait. That can't be. Apple is failing, Tim is a dummy that doesn't know how to run a company. They make shoddy products and the pricces prices are insane. Apple will go out of business any day now. Oh wait, that's just stupid comments from MR. I guess the real world is a lot different than that :)
Apple should just drop everything else and focus only on the Mac. If it weren't for emoji we'd have a new Mac Pro by now.

Crap, it's contagious.

Reactions: Stryder541 and Lazy

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Nobody cares about this statistic. Its meaningless really. At some point when a company gets into the hundreds of billions, more billions doesn't change anything. If  became a 500 Trillion dollar company, everything would still be the same for the end user- buggy software and ever more pared down hardware that gets more & more expensive every iteration.

Reactions: ipponrg and Stella

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Uh, they’ve clearly been making shifts to be less reliant on the iPhone. There have been years of R&D in new fields such as AR. A nuanced take on Apple’s future is they’re very carefully setting up for the age of “ambient computing”.

What’s amazing to me is that you claim there is nothing new in the pipeline (as if you have insight to that) then immediately give your take on the hypothetical pipeline...which doesn’t exist, according to you.

As far as growth is concerned, I agree. A company as large as Apple simply can’t grow perpetually, none of them can, which is why we should probably reconsider having the world economy based entirely on the foolish concept of infinite growth. They should also, I don’t know, actually pay their ****ing taxes (as all giant multinationals should) instead of the Irish-double-hogey-with-a-pinch-of-rosemary financial shenanigans they and all massive corporations employ. Just figured I’d throw some of my criticisms in there before being labeled an “apple apologist.”

Reactions: NetMage and max.ine

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
And that's where Apple deserves to be. Too many untapped markets. The stock was severely unappreciated even at $230.

Just think about how many units an Apple toy could sell. And, yes darling, we'll see Apple AI toys sooner than later.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
They make products with interesting issues and the prices are insane. Doesn't mean anything at this point for Apple.

The stock market is weird. Bezos left his wife for some other dude's wife and a leafhopper bug appeared out of season and landed on my sweatshirt after an ice storm (for real)...and so up went Apple's value relative to every other company's value. It's magical.

I expect that to get results like this when every other rumor and discussion about Apple is so filled with stinky cheese, Mr. Cook had to sacrifice a few Huawei phones inside of a pentagram during the night of the werewolf blood moon...or whatever the hell that last super special rare full moon was called.

My favorite ritual, personally, was the year he had Sia mournfully act out the Zombie Apocalypse after a Keynote. Ahh, that was a great time to be an Apple fan. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.