Apple Once Again the Most Valuable Public Company in the World

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. citysnaps macrumors 601

Speaking of SSDs... I took delivery of a 2018 Mini with a 1 TB SSD last week. The write and read speeds are insanely fast!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    What new product lines would you suggest?

Since you're using the iPhone as a reference, maybe you can suggest a few new product lines that will produce iPhone-like game-changing success. Thanx...

2. Gogeta-Blue macrumors member

Gogeta-Blue

hello there mac rumor moderator, i will like to know why my post was deleted, i didn’t replied to the moderator post, so the reason that i recieved is a lie, i talk about the main topic and also about other users comments, it seems like you don’t like my opinion, but some others users gave me likes, if you don’t like my posts you can close my account, there is no point on sharing my opinion and wasting my time writing something to then being deleted for no reason other than you just don’t like it, sorry for exposing you, but i know how things work here,you just try very hard to create hype where there is no hype at all, do me a favor and close my account because is useless, i didn’t say nothing bad, i find it very disrespecful to delete someone post just because i told the truth and you don’t like it, i wrote this message here for others to see what’s going on, i don’t have nothing to discuss behind close doors, i don’t need this account anymore, thanks for nothing, i know you hate this but here it is, media hype

3. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

I’m not the one running a 800 billion company i aint got the answers

4. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

I never said Apple is doomed. I said that Apple's growth will stagnate and slow down. The years of record profits posted every holiday quarter will cease to happen.

5. cardfan macrumors 68000

Agree. It's surprising to see how many articles think their new media streaming service is going to save the company. Apple seems to have given up in speakers and apple tv. Services such as Siri, Maps, etc are half baked and are the kind of things apple should be giving up on.

Apple needs to embrace Google. They already rely on Google paying them billions just to be default search.

6. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Well, sure, but people say that literally every year. I just added "doomed" to make it more dramatic. Each year we hear about the end of record profits and each year Apple has record profits. And sure, it may happen this year. It may happen the next one. Or in 5 years. But people have been saying this for years (always giving reasons) and it never happened. Hasn't stopped people from making these claims.

And again, sure, it may finally happen this year. After all, I don't think a streak of record profits can last forever. But if it doesn't, and Apple has a record quarter at the end of 2019 - are you going to say to yourself "hmm, I was wrong about that?" or are you going to say "next year - Apple's growth will stagnate!"?
    God no.

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

So it was good for apple when the stock when down because it would teach Apple and Cook a lesson. Now that the stock is in its way up, it’s bad for the consumer along with a derisive modification of Cooks’ name.

8. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Well come on then, don't keep us all in the dark. What exactly is in their pipeline?

9. the-seeker macrumors newbie

Though I own AAPL, this is not good news. I was hoping that the stock market reaction would force AAPL into the right track of more innovative and engaging products, instead of marketing gimmicks and new emojis. AAPL will be back to their merry ways of price manipulation with less innovation.

10. trillionaire macrumors member

trillionaire

These figures mean nothing to the average consumer, though I'm sure there are still several proud iPhone or MacBook owners out there. The good thing is they have capital to invest in industry-leading products; the question is will they create such products?

11. aevan, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

I’d say iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Airpods are quite the industry-leading products.
    The “Innovation” you’re probably talking about is “new products”. And new products just for the sake of something new a wrong obsession to have. Apple needs to make current products better each year - that’s enough.

Also, there was a lot of innovation from Apple in the past few years. Ofc, not the kind clickbaity journalists want. You know: a crazy new gadget! It’s a phone, it’s a plane, it does laundry!

12. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

What value? Should be most costly and profitable.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It depends on your cost basis. I’m out now but had stock from the 2000s. If you bought at the high a while back I don’t think you would want it to tank. Paper losses would be pitiful.

14. iMaculate macrumors newbie

iMaculate

You'd care if you owned apple stock.

15. dan110, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

Remember, Wall Street usually has an attention span the length of a fiscal quarter.

This recent increase in paper value doesn't solve the multiple problems Apple has with market competition in China and India, global retail pricing, across the board quality control issues, goodwill/brand reputation, senior leadership, cultural degradation, etc.

Arhendt was simply a pound of flesh that was paid to win favor with Wall Street. I bet she's laughing all the way to the bank.

16. obiwan macrumors 6502

Cool! - Got me all excited now, I ordered the i7 version with 1TB SSD.

17. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I like how people use "Apple is doomed" hyperbole to deflect anything negative about Apple.

18. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Please explain what’s negative about Apple in the news that it is the most valuable company in the world.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Oh please .You were responding to a person that had less than positive things to say about Apple. I'm not an idiot, don't treat me like one.

20. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

No, I was responding to someone who tried to make some good news (for Apple) somehow seem bad just because it’s Apple and this is MRF. Don’t you treat me like an idiot. When Apple has a bad day - people here are like “not surprising, told you they suck”, but when they have a good one it’s “hm.... it won’t last. They have a problem, just you wait and see.” Some people really have a problem with the fact tha Apple is, apparently, doing well. And I find that funny and a bit sad - ergo, my joke.

21. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

The market agrees with you-- they've still got a lower P/E than Procter & Gamble, the soap people. They aren't this valuable because of hype, they're this valuable because of their actual earnings.

Of course it looks like MS overtook them again by the time the market closed, so now they're only the second most valuable public company in the world-- ie. doomed.

22. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Or they were bringing up the idea that the stock market (and capitalism in general) demands continued growth beyond what's even possible.

23. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Sure. But given the context, this wasn’t an impartial analysis of capitalism and you know it. Some people here just have a problem with Apple and seeing them do well makes them angry and then they either try to dispute the validity of such news, or make a point that it won’t last.

I’ve been on this forum for a long time. Nothing new.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

You can read whatever you want into any post. I just happen to not read Apple hating comments everywhere. Funny how that works.

25. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

The article should be updated. Apple is not the most valuable company anymore. Microsoft is.