Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that it will be opening a new retail store at the Mall of Scandinavia, near Stockholm, Sweden, as noted by Michael Steeber today in his Tabletops newsletter. Apple says the store will open in 2024, but it has yet to share an exact date.

Apple-Store-Mall-of-Scandinavia.jpeg
Apple Mall of Scandinavia via Feber

Apple has three other stores in Sweden, but one will be permanently closing eventually. In a statement shared with Swedish publication Feber last week, Apple said it will not be renewing its lease for its Väla Centrum store in Ödåkra, Sweden. Apple has yet to disclose an exact closure date for that location.

This news comes after Apple opened a new store in Seoul, South Korea, and permanently closed its Infinite Loop and Royal Hawaiian stores, all on January 20.

Apple operates 528 retail stores worldwide as of today.

Article Link: Apple Opening New Store in Sweden, But Permanently Closing Another

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Great job MacRumors!…to get the Swedish åäö right 👍🏻

Hope that next Apple Store in Sweden comes to the the Swedish West Coast - nothing here yet.
But we wait very patiently for it.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
I remember the grand opening of the Chicago apple store in 2003. I would go there weekly to hang out, browse products and accessories. Loved it. It has since moved to some sort of amphitheater type "building" by the river, and now offers one of the most boring experiences in Chicago.

My point. Apple stores used to be interesting and now they are so incredibly boring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I remember the grand opening of the Chicago apple store in 2003. I would go there weekly to hang out, browse products and accessories. Loved it. It has since moved to some sort of amphitheater type "building" by the river, and now offers one of the most boring experiences in Chicago.

My point. Apple stores used to be interesting and now they are so incredibly boring.
I agree really no need to even go browse really.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
The Apple Store situation is weird in Sweden. Three stores - one in Stockholm (biggest city, makes sense), one in Malmö (3rd biggest, makes sense), and one in little Ödåkra/Helsingborg rather than Gothenburg (2nd biggest). So now they close Ödåkra, and Stockholm gets yet another store while Gothenburg stays without. Individually I can see how a second store in Stockholm is useful, the current one is outside the subway range and mostly serves the car-happy northern suburbs, missing out on all the inner city hipsters, the new store will fix that. But two out of three stores nation-wide in one city seems a bit off.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I can't remember a time where Apple was closing stores (Hawaii and now Sweden)... the Infinite Loop company store doesn't count because Apple Park is a few mins away.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It's been quite strange they've not yet had one in Mall of Scandinavia, feels like a mall made with an Apple Store in mind.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
The Apple Store situation is weird in Sweden. Three stores - one in Stockholm (biggest city, makes sense), one in Malmö (3rd biggest, makes sense), and one in little Ödåkra/Helsingborg rather than Gothenburg (2nd biggest). So now they close Ödåkra, and Stockholm gets yet another store while Gothenburg stays without. Individually I can see how a second store in Stockholm is useful, the current one is outside the subway range and mostly serves the car-happy northern suburbs, missing out on all the inner city hipsters, the new store will fix that. But two out of three stores nation-wide in one city seems a bit off.
Gothenburg: *exists*

Apple:

Feels bad man 😢

Reactions: Lioness~

okänd

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
The store is where you go to pick up online orders more quickly or to try out the sizes of watch bands, no need to be much more than a hole in the wall to be honest.

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020

Well, the one is in Täby outside of Stockholm. No one there would say it's Stockholm. But I'm not sure why you bring up the subway range point. Mall of Scandinavia doesn't have a subway stop. It's closer to central Stockholm, being in Solna, but it's still not technically in Stockholm.

Reactions: ADHWGT and snek

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
They are probably looking for a good place in central Gothenburg as well. Probably not the easiest thing.
At least I hope they do 🙏🏼🤞🏼

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Thankfully a much better option than the original plan to put it in Kungsträdgården.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sydney is also in a bit of dilemma with Apple Store distribution. CBD has 2 that’s 40 min to 1 hour walking between each other. And outer suburb got some but they are far and few between, requiring hours of drive or public transport. But overall I think it’s still a bit better than what Sweden is now, given Sweden is a sizeable country compared to the size of greater Sydney.

thevil

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2003
Weirdness barely scratches the surface when it comes to describing the dismal state of affairs in Sweden.

Apple's headquarters should delve deep into the predicament and unravel the enigma that shrouds Apple Sweden.

Stockholm remains devoid of an Apple store.
Gothenburg, too, lacks a store.

Originally, there was talk of a (sort of) flagship store gracing Stockholm, specifically in Kungstradgarden, amidst other corporate flagships, show rooms, etc. However, Apple's fumbled business negotiations left them without a spot.

The existing store finds its home in Täby, a place akin to Stockholm as New Jersey is to New York. Interestingly, the CEO of Apple Sweden resided there when the store opened.

The new store, the article discusses, also doesn't reside in Stockholm; it calls Solna home, an adjacent county, but far from the heart of Stockholm.

Solna's connection to Stockholm is akin to Connecticut's to New York.

It's a curious predicament indeed, where the two largest Swedish cities, Stockholm, the capital, and Gothenburg, stand without an Apple Store.

Last edited:
Reactions: koil and DaPhox

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Sydney is also in a bit of dilemma with Apple Store distribution.
Melbourne doesn’t have a CBD store at all, every store in at least an hour by public transport from the CBD. It’s annoying to have to drive out to the suburban malls. I’d love one of your CBD stores here.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.