Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Weirdness barely scratches the surface when it comes to describing the dismal state of affairs in Sweden.

Apple's headquarters should delve deep into the predicament and unravel the enigma that shrouds Apple Sweden.

Stockholm remains devoid of an Apple store.
Gothenburg, too, lacks a store.

Originally, there was talk of a (sort of) flagship store gracing Stockholm, specifically in Kungstradgarden, amidst other corporate flagships, show rooms, etc. However, Apple's fumbled business negotiations left them without a spot.

The existing store finds its home in Täby, a place akin to Stockholm as New Jersey is to New York. Interestingly, the CEO of Apple Sweden resided there when the store opened.

The new store, the article discusses, also doesn't reside in Stockholm; it calls Solna home, an adjacent county, but far from the heart of Stockholm.

Solna's connection to Stockholm is akin to Connecticut's to New York.

It's a curious predicament indeed, where the two largest Swedish cities, Stockholm, the capital, and Gothenburg, stand without an Apple Store.
Eh, that is exaggerated, or rather, a very narrow view of what constitutes Stockholm. Solna and Täby are municipalities and very much part of Stockholm County. The Solna mall is a mere 6 kilometers/4 miles from the Stockholm city center, the one in Täby 15 kilometers/9 miles. You can easily walk to Solna. This is not really comparable to NYC to Connecticut (at least 35 miles).

Reactions: DaPhox

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Why Apple are maybe having trouble with growing Apple Stores in Sweden might depend on their lack of knowledge and respect for Swedish culture?
The story around how Apple wanted to build a store in Kungsträdgarden in central Stockholm felt disrespectful for the cultutal place that it is. No way Stockholm city would’ve allowed that, no matter how much money Apple had thrown up on the table.

Maybe they should hire some Swedes that have some local knowledge, understanding and orientation to help them if they want to grow their stores here, as It have really felt odd around Apple building stores here.
I would definitely love if Apple were more in tune and successful in their pursuits here though. Can’t wait for a Gothenburg store in a reasonable good place.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Why Apple are maybe having trouble with growing Apple Stores in Sweden might depend on their lack of knowledge and respect for Swedish culture?
The story around how Apple wanted to build a store in Kungsträdgarden in central Stockholm felt disrespectful for the cultutal place that it is. No way Stockholm city would’ve allowed that, no matter how much money Apple had thrown up on the table.
I agree there should be no Apple store at Kungsträdgården, at least not the way they had planned it, basically turning the whole area into an Apple temple park. On the other hand now we are stuck with that rotten moldy 1950s concrete eyesore currently occupied by a TGI Fridays, and soon to be empty because they cannot afford the inflated rent. Who knows what that will turn into...

Reactions: DaPhox

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
They are probably looking for a good place in central Gothenburg as well. Probably not the easiest thing.
At least I hope they do 🙏🏼🤞🏼
I feel like there are plenty of good options:
  • That place behind Domkyrkan is pretty large and the area in general is pretty nice
  • Avenyn is also an obvious choice
  • Maybe they're waiting for the new Backaplan? Close enough to the center, and the city is kinda expanding in that direction more and more
  • Nordstan is kinda meh, but would also make sense, NK would be more fitting if you're a native and know the background
My take is they saw that MacForum (nowadays just Forum as Apple Sweden finally got off their arses and had them remove the trademark infringing name haha) is generally pretty close to an Apple Store (as close as a bootleg Apple Store can get anyway) and figured their efforts were better spent in other parts of Sweden. Malmö is the obvious 3rd location after Stockholm and Gothenburg after all.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I feel like there are plenty of good options:
  • That place behind Domkyrkan is pretty large and the area in general is pretty nice
  • Avenyn is also an obvious choice
  • Maybe they're waiting for the new Backaplan? Close enough to the center, and the city is kinda expanding in that direction more and more
  • Nordstan is kinda meh, but would also make sense, NK would be more fitting if you're a native and know the background
My take is they saw that MacForum (nowadays just Forum as Apple Sweden finally got off their arses and had them remove the trademark infringing name haha) is generally pretty close to an Apple Store (as close as a bootleg Apple Store can get anyway) and figured their efforts were better spent in other parts of Sweden. Malmö is the obvious 3rd location after Stockholm and Gothenburg after all.

Avenyn is ok if they could get a place there, absolutely!
NK too.
Behind Domkyrkan - they wouldn’t be allowed that place. Doubt it. Too much of a cultural place.
Backaplan, nooo, hope not, to off from the real city.

If they don’t mind being off from the city and still want to get a good place, Karlatornet, and its surroundings would be a more appropriate place for expansion.

(Mac)Forum have been ok when I've used them (not a lot).
My lokal store/support and so on, have been MacSupport Väst - always been very good.
Not needed much support recent years though. Easier to take things through Apple directly, and I have had less problem then way back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.