Apple Opening Three New Stores Next Saturday, Including First in Downtown Miami

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

I wouldn't buy a MacBook nor iPhone, but that's because I've got those covered by alternatives at a fraction of those prices. However, I don't begrudge people who do use them, as in the end, people get to choose what solutions they'd like, with their own money.

Case in point is my dad was surprised that I spent $220 for a used phone, whereas he only spent $39. However, I did point out that my $220 was for a $650 phone, while has $39 was for a $200 phone, and I would deem my choice superior, and a good match for what I'd like in a phone.

2. triton100, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

triton100 macrumors regular

All the cars are leased. They don't own them.

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

That must be one heck of store going up in Singapore.

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

5. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

That upgrade was available for free for the first year of the Win10 release. Whilst I am not sure exactly why they limited it, it is hardly a hidden cost.

6. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How is that a bad thing?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    You didn't have to do that. The upgrade is still free. Here is the link. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

(Nobody actually checks if you're an "accessibility user" or not.)

7. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

Actually pretty nice that they didn't just straight up make a 100% indoor mall. Florida heat is brutal and it rains almost every afternoon, but I'm glad they tried to do an indoor/outdoor mix.

8. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

9. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

Three new stores.... ZERO new macs for the shelfs. :(

10. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Not a hidden cost, but certainly a cost that if we used Macs we would never have to worry about. Basically I'm left with a choice of having my company's PCs on various different operating systems depending on how old they are. Or I have to drop some cash every couple of years to upgrade the OS.

Having done some purchasing of IT support in the last six months, I've no doubt that Macs save money in an enterprise scenario. And remember, the PC laptops really aren't significantly cheaper to start out.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    I won't do shady stuff to scam out two hundred dollars in savings for my company. And I'm sure my CEO and the shareholders in the company would support that decision.

I am, however, a bit pissed that the owner of the laptop never got the upgrade when it was free.

11. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

yeah, failed to clear safety regulation.

12. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

If traffic conditions are really good then yeah, 10 min drive. But they usually aren't and finding parking in south beach can be a nightmare. It can easily become a 45min to 1hour trip.

13. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Yeah, that's definitely a plus!

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Parking downtown is even worse. So it's a tossup really. :)

15. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

lmao yes it is, i hate parking downtown but at least I don't have to drive further to parking hell, it's right next door :p

16. CPark98 macrumors newbie

We need another store in downtown Philly! One store doesn't cut it for the 5th largest city in the nation.

17. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

Hopefully the Grand Rapids store will be done soon. The current one is so damn small.

18. macdragonfl, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Its amazing the amount of Apple stores in S. Fl in general. But you will never even on the best day get from Brickell Ave to Lincoln Rd. in ten minutes. Unless you have a jet pack!

19. papi007 macrumors newbie

Agree. Also, it will be the only store with easy access to real public transportation. Downtown Miami's MetroMover has a station right at Brickell City Centre. Take the Metrorail (elevated subway, for those not from Miami) to Brickell station and it's a short walk from there (much shorter walk than at Dadeland Mall). And if it's raining, take the MetroMover (an automated, elevated trolley service) to BCC.

20. richardbrooks macrumors newbie

richardbrooks

I'd also like to know where do they get money? Selling organs or what?

21. falcn macrumors member

falcn

Shіt crashes yo.

My rMBP (2012) and my GF's tbMBP(2016) freeze once per week.

22. triton100 macrumors regular

Strange 'yo'. Have no freeze issues with my 2016. What does the crash report log say ?

23. falcn macrumors member

falcn

On 2012, I'm running 10.11.6, and there are 3 distinct ways to crash:

1) full freeze, computer auto-rebooted by hardware watchdog after 20 seconds or so. Nothing in logs. Can happen at night with 0 load
    2) windowserver crash, all apps with GUI close, sometimes it throws loginscreen at you, sometimes just desktop with no apps. Logs are spammed by crashing apps. Can happen at night with 0 load
    3) system slows down to a crawl for no reason, reboot required. Like, opening an app like Evernote will take 30-45 seconds. Logs are spammed by timeout errors. I only had this under load

I checked logs, nothing unusual stand out

I used windows on this laptop for hundreds of hours and never had any OS-related problems.

On 2016 MBP with TB, system freezes when using mission control. Everything is working, but it stays in zoomed-out state until hard reboot. There is no way to make it unstuck, we tried everything. It's running latest OS+updates. There are a lot of complains on apple support forums describing this problem

24. triton100 macrumors regular

That sounds really frustrating.
    Presumably you have troubleshot with apple tech support? Reinstalled OS. Checked for malware. Checked for incompatible software. checked all software is legitimate and not crack ware / bloat ware, checked evernote is compatible with your OS version, memory config etc etc
    I hate to say, and touch wood, I have never experienced anything like that.

25. falcn macrumors member

falcn

It is frustrating, all my pre-Cook macs were rock solid in terms of OS stability.

I'm reinstalling OS every year, thanks to apple's yearly OS release cycle.

I'm software engineer, so I'm very sceptical about tech support. No malware, no incompatible/illegitimate/outdated software, no crackware or bloatware, in other words, nothing that runs in userspace should be able to crash the kernel or windowserver. Kernel guys know it, but you can't reach them through support channels. And even if I could, what should I tell them? I can't reproduce the issue, and there are no useful logs. Probably some obscure driver or hardware issue.

Contacting regular support will be a complete waste of time.

As for mbp 2016, my gf is reluctant about contacting support. It's obvious software problem, she hoped that one of the updates will fix it, but it just never happened.