Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Opens East Coast AppleCare Warehouse to Speed Up Repair Times

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently opened up another AppleCare repair warehouse in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, reports 9to5Mac. The 182,000 square-foot facility is the second in the United States, joining Apple's existing warehouse in Elk Grove, California.

Apple's California-based AppleCare warehouse is used as a repair hub, with Apple retail locations across the country shipping damaged products to the facility, where they are repaired or replaced and shipped back out across the United States.

Apple's Pennsylvania warehouse
This second warehouse will serve a similar purpose, expanding Apple's repair capabilities and turnaround time. Damaged items once shipped to California will now be able to be fixed at either location, which will likely result in faster repair and shipping times for consumers located in the Midwest and on the East Coast.

Along with opening a new repair facility, Apple has also been working to cut down on costs and decrease repair times by performing more iPhone repairs in-house, electing to replace displays and other parts in Apple Stores and at Apple Authorized Service Providers rather than offering replacements.

In August, Apple launched a redesigned AppleCare website that includes a simpler interface and 24/7 live chat support. The company is also said to be working on significant changes to its AppleCare services, aiming to switch to per-user AppleCare subscription plans rather than offering per-device coverage.

Article Link: Apple Opens East Coast AppleCare Warehouse to Speed Up Repair Times

Tal Ormanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Yay I live about an hour from there.

On a side note.....

They need more apple stores in Pennsylvania that are not in Philly. I live in the middle of PA and there are 0 apple stores.

Comment

KirkTheJerk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
This is not a new apple warehouse. Apple has been located at this warehouse for a couple of years now. I think it was mainly a small distribution center. The other company that shared this warehouse with them moved locations and apple must have leased the rest of the warehouse.

Comment

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I'm surprised we didn't see this coming, with all the leaks and analyst projections...

Comment

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Yay I live about an hour from there.

On a side note.....

They need more apple stores in Pennsylvania that are not in Philly. I live in the middle of PA and there are 0 apple stores.

How far are you from Delaware? Definitely worth the trip for the massive sales tax savings :D

Comment

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
There is also an AppleCare repair depot in Texas, near Houston. Unless all those MBP's I've been sending to TX are really going to CA.

Comment

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
There is also an AppleCare repair depot in Texas, near Houston. Unless all those MBP's I've been sending to TX are really going to CA.

Agreed. I have sent many a mac to that repair depot article should be updates for accuracy... :\

Comment

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
All my AppleCare iPhone replacements from the last 3-4 years or so have come from Carlisle, PA... Not sure how new this is?

Comment

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Agreed. I have sent many a mac to that repair depot article should be updates for accuracy... :\

that depot is not apples it is a massive authorized service center. IF you look at the invoice carefully it is a service center that is based and owned by a private corporation not apple. I hope apple moves away from these places the techs at these private centers do not really do a good job had to have mine sent back as they must of not tested it before they sent it back to apple. It went in to have logic board replaced and came back with a none working screen. So wonders if they even tested it. Once i got it back a second time i had the local apple store test it before i picked it up.

----------

All my AppleCare iPhone replacements from the last 3-4 years or so have come from Carlisle, PA... Not sure how new this is?

they shipped the replacement ipod nano (when they had the gen 1 recall) from carlisle PA.

Comment

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
I wondered! Ai recently had to get my iPhone 5s repaired and it said from Pennsylvania? This is nice, considering it took a day for my replacement

Comment

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011

I am pretty sure this facility is actually Flextronics, subcontracted by Apple to do repair work.

I really hope Apple drops them and does more in house work. I tried to have a MacBook Pro repaired and signed the auth to replace the battery, trackpad, and optical drive. Everything else was working fine (and still works fine). Apple sent it over and flextronics had them call me with a re-quote (more than double) for a bunch of other repairs they "had" to do and without them they wouldn't do the other repairs I signed for.

I have mostly been pleased with Apple's service when I've needed repairs but I left that experience seriously ticked off.

Comment

guitarman777

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Wow. I've already had great experiences with their repair turnaround time. My wife's MacBook suffered a hard drive failure a couple years ago. The shipping box arrived the day after I called AppleCare, and after shipping it out that same day the repaired computer arrived back to us two days later. Having an East Coast center to speed things up even more? I can't even imagine. It's already better customer service than anyone else.

Comment

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe they should work a bit harder on making the equipment not fail in the first place, then they wouldn't need this fancy new facility? :D

Comment

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This was certainly kept quiet...

I mean, with the new data centers that have come online, we've heard about them for months ahead of their construction.

Data centers are sexy to write about. An AppleCare facility is not on the same scale or complexity to build or setup (this building was existing it seems). I doubt keeping it quiet was really a big consideration.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.