Apple Opens Up HomeKit Platform To Make Smart Product Development Easier

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has taken steps to make its HomeKit smart home platform more accessible to third parties in order to encourage faster adoption, the company announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference on Wednesday (via Forbes).

Apple told developers in session that they no longer need an MFi (Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) license to test out HomeKit smart products before bringing them to market, and are even free to experiment with the platform using popular custom-fit boards like Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

[​IMG]

The looser licensing should make it easier for developers to test out prototypes of smart home gadgets, although certification must still be obtained before the products are ready for commercial sale, Apple noted.

In addition to the licensing change, Apple has updated its HomeKit specification so that compatible smart products no longer have to include a hardware authentication chip. The update means authentication will go through software instead, with a firmware update allowing existing or future products to go through the same software-based authorization. Despite the change, Apple said the authentication process would use the same hardened encryption as it always has.

HomeKit has enjoyed reasonably wide support among smart gadget manufacturers, although users have sometimes had to wait for products to add the standard well after they have come to market. With a little luck, yesterday's announcement should minimize the time it takes for third parties to integrate HomeKit into their smart gadgets.

Article Link: Apple Opens Up HomeKit Platform To Make Smart Product Development Easier

2. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Another good move from Apple! I'm beginning to lust after more homekit accessories!

The coolest product would be a little chip to put between a powerline and a ceiling mounted hanging light. These bulb Adapters, or the smart bulb themselves don't work for my use case, as I have these cool vintage lightbulbs in golden lamp sockets.. why is there nothing to attach to the cable directly?

3. Relentless Power, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And now add HomePod that is going to be able to be more affiliated with HomeKit controlling lights and thermostats, etc. just another tool for integration and allowing for more of a seamless experience. The software security change is also an interesting change.

4. Recognition macrumors 6502a

Recognition

Just get a smart wall switch, and swap with your existing wall switches for those light fittings.

This is interesting news, I use homebridge on my Raspberry Pi to control non HomeKit and ‘dumb’ devices with Siri and the iPhone. I wonder what effect this will have on these workarounds?

5. robinp macrumors 6502

Sounds like good news as long as the security is maintained.

6. trunten macrumors regular

Hopefully no hardware chip will me more standalone devices without the need for yet another hub!

7. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

8. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

You know the chip is there for security and the reason they require it.

9. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Did you read the article?

10. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

This change is for prototyping, devices that will be distributed/sold still need to go through proper MFi certifications. This will likely not shorten time to add HomeKit to commercial devices.

11. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Hopefully this won't make Homekit vulnerable like all the garbage like Smart Things and Weemo.

12. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

You're in luck, Lutron already makes this. http://www.casetawireless.com/pages/applehomekit.aspx

Having a smart switch is definitely more economical and user friendly than having a smart bulb.

13. adamjackson macrumors 68000

This is great news. Aside from the complaints from manufacturers, I as a consumer have had an issue paying sometimes 50% more for a product that is HomeKit certified due to the strict Apple rules.

If this new program allows for the same security & privacy of my data / home but allows companies to lower their expenditures to bring a product to market, I'm very excited. This should open up things for smaller manufacturers and maybe allow things like ceiling fans to not cost $400 just because they support HomeKit.

14. FlyersPh9 macrumors newbie

FlyersPh9

Go ahead and list the reasons why SmartThings is vulnerable. Before you start, "Because I can't figure out how to use it properly" isn't a reason.

15. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Awesome. I went to a cyber security conference for work recently, wow, I had no idea IOT stuff was so vulnerable. I have decided to stop buying new things for now and if I can ever find some time, research the ones I have to make sure they are ok and if not, replace them with better options.

16. Cndnmax macrumors member

What exactly are you worried about? Someone turning off the lights on you or blasting your AC?

17. ericpwb macrumors newbie

The insteon micro dimmer (or micro switch) sounds like what you're looking for, and it's already HomeKit compatible. http://www.insteon.com/dimmer-micro-module/

18. chfilm, Jun 8, 2017

chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hey, thanks for the great advice! I read some stories online though about the switch not being compatible with German wall outlets, and also the whole insteon to HomeKit workaround seems a bit Annoying. But this gives me hope that there will be an equivalent fully HomeKit compatible product in the future.

19. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I also use homebridge for my dumb devices. As of now I have it set up to run AppleScripts on my Mac that control playback and airplay on my speakers throughout the house. It’s nice to be able to say “hey Siri turn on instide speakers” and have it work. Although it’s as stable and easy as something made to actually work with HomeKit.

20. imola.zhp, Jun 8, 2017

imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

More like monitoring my porch and driveway with my Ring camera's. The latter would tell them when I am not at home. Not that we don't have and use an alarm system, but still.

21. epaminos macrumors member

So do you believe we will see Nest products supporting HomeKit?

22. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

I have asked nest among other UK based companies if they will be reconsidering HomeKit now it can be done by software. Lets hope so on some of them, nest would be helpful - 2 protects and a cam in my house!

heres hoping!

23. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

This makes it possible for products like Nest to offer a firmware update to become HomeKit compatible. Canary's vapourware HomeKit camera can finally just mean a firmware update to existing Canary cameras.

24. ericpwb macrumors newbie

For HomeKit, you need the insteon hub pro: http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub-homekit/

As far as being in Germany, I suspect the 2442-422 dimmer module would work, as it is the EU version.

25. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

yea, but sadly I read that while technically fit for our power grid, they have some weird dimensions that dont follow the standardized wall power outlets that we find in our homes :(