Apple Opposes Logo Trademarked by Norwegian Political Party

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has objected to an apple logo trademark that Norway's Fremskrittspartiet or Progress Party filed for back in November, according to the Norwegian Patent Office.

The image in question features a red apple with a stem and a green leaf that also has a white "F" on the front, an icon used by the Fremskrittspartiet.

In an objection letter provided to Norway's Patent Office, Apple says that the trademark that the Fremskrittspartiet has registered "resembles" the "very well-known" trademarked Apple logo and is likely to be confused with Apple's prior trademarks.

The Fremskrittspartiet has applied to use the trademark for computer software, digital media, stationary and other paper products, household items, textiles like flags, clothing and headgear, buttons, and games and toys.

It's not yet clear how this will play out, but Apple plans to provide additional documentation to support its case in the future. Apple is asking the Norwegian Patent Office to repeal the Fremskrittspartiet's trademark registration.

(Thanks, Sander!)

Article Link: Apple Opposes Logo Trademarked by Norwegian Political Party

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
There's probably an employee at Apple who's only job is protecting copyrights. Gotta look like they're doing something to justify their salary.
Personally I think apples (the fruit) should be banned from grocery stores, and every apple tree cut down. Apple juice should be illegal too.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I think it's worth mentioning that Fremskrittspartiet is a far-right political party with anti-immigration politics, which probably plays into Apple not wanting to be associated with it.

But still, the difference is quite substantial.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
If you don't enforce your logo, you lose rights to it.

This is how law works. They aren't being arrogant.
That's nothing like the Apple logo. Why doesn't Apple go after Huawei and Xiaomi for copying the exact look of the camera bump of the X series? Oh yeah because they don't dare provoke China. I hope Norwegian comedians parody this mercilessly.

ikramerica

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Its silly but the law requires Apple to defend it’s trademarks or lose them. It doesn't mean the party cant use it, but if Apple wins, the party can’t trademark it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You can say it doesn't look all that much like Apple's logo, but it has the letter F on it and increasingly people may exclaim various words beginning with F when thinking of Apple, so perhaps they really need to get on this quick before confusion sets in... ;)

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
This reminds me of the time when Microsoft went after a young programmer named Mike Rowe who had the domain name mikerowesoft.com.

Microsoft ended up with plenty of egg on its face.
problem is that in Microsoft v mike rowe, they got bad press, but settled and got control of mikerowesoft.com. They got Mike Rowe moved to mikerowforums.com