Apple Ordering 3.2 and 5-Megapixel Camera Sensors for iPhone and Future Product?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a brief report, DigiTimes claims that Apple has placed orders with OmniVision Technologies for both 3.2 and 5-megapixel image sensors. The 3.2-megapixel sensor is reportedly destined for the next-generation iPhone, while the 5-megapixel sensor is claimed to be for a separate product launching later this year.
    Both the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G utilize a 2-megapixel camera, and speculation regarding a higher resolution camera in the next-generation iPhone has been popular for some time now. Evidence of a "Publish Video" screen in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta and supporting claims of a video camera in the next-generation iPhone suggest that Apple is targeting significant improvements to the iPhone's imaging capabilities.

Article Link: Apple Ordering 3.2 and 5-Megapixel Camera Sensors for iPhone and Future Product?

2. Locker macrumors 6502

I was hoping for a 5 megapixel camera in the next iPhone revision. I think a lot of people will be disappointed with 3. Having said that, I won't be particularly fussed.

3. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

I'll take one future product please. Thanks. More importantly, autofocus!!! I'd rather keep 2 megapixels and get autofocus than get more MPs and keep a fixed focus.

4. Viddrumr32 macrumors member

Viddrumr32

I'm hoping the 5 megapixel would go to the high end iPhone and the 3.2 would go to the "standard" iPhone if they do end up splitting into different price points beyond the typical storage increments

5. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Naw...
    I think the 3.2MP will be for the MacBooks whereas the 5MP will be for the iPhone. That makes a lot more sense, well to me at least.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'd hope the 5MP is included, but I can't imagine I'd be using it predominantly as a camera.

Perhaps one camera is forward facing, the other backwards, for video chats and such? Too much hope there maybe? I'm not too fussed on video chats anyway.

7. commander.data macrumors 6502a

Maybe the 5-Megapixel camera will be the new iSight for Macs.

I wonder if anything will come of those patents they had to embed the camera within the screen instead of just placing it on top.

8. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Maybe 5 MP on the back and 3.2 goes to the front for ichat??

9. powerboo71 macrumors newbie

Ipod Touch with camera

I think the Ipod Touch is getting the 3,2 Mill. camera built in.

10. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I like the way you think! Actually the first 6 responses have run the gamut of good speculation. iPhone related 5MP seems more likely than mystery product, also since there's no evidence of mystery product or that the 5MP is for a mystery product.

11. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Yeah, that makes sense too.
    I think the 3.2MP would also be included in the MacBooks too.

12. RL600 macrumors member

oh nice! maybe so. or the opposite??? :eek:

13. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

No, it wouldn't be the opposite.
    With phone cameras, its always front facing is the lower spec. camera.
    I don't think the video quality would be that different for a 3.2mp camera and a 5mp camera.

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

There's more to a good camera than megapixel resolution. I'd take a 2MP camera with a xenon flash and auto focus than a 5MP with nothing else.

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Can we not live and die by this rumour.

16. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

No, if the iPod touch were getting a camera, why would it be any different from the iPhone's?

17. heynsmd2 macrumors newbie

heynsmd2

3.2, five, who cares?

The quality of most camera phones I've used recently (Nokia N73 and iPhone 3G) remains poor at best.

The photos are so grainy they're practically useless, except for 'emergency' use.

If camera phones start achieving the quality of entry level P&S cameras, I'll care to listen... IF it EVER happens due to size and energy constraints.

Until then, a cell camera remains to me at least, a pretty useless feature.

18. madman365 macrumors newbie

Too thick

Ladies an gents....a 3.2 in front and a 5 in back? How thick would that make the phone? Seems to be a lot of trouble to acquire a feature that is more of a "wouldn't it be neat" feature. Honestly, I don't know how many people would actually use video ichat from their phone. Is it that in demand? I'm calling that it's just a 3.2 MP upgrade on the iphone and the 5mp camera is going on the new, much rumored 9inch touch screen device coming out late 2009.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sounds great to me! 3.2 in the next iphone, and 5.0 in the new apple netbook

20. sjo macrumors 6502a

from the point of view of product life cycle it would make sense for apple to introduce iphone 3.2mpix in the summer and iphone 5mpix (+ maybe more memory or something like that) for the holiday season and/or first half next year.

the iphone sales seem always to drop dramatically after new year, and are nearly non-existent towards the end of the first half of the year. apple really needs to address that problem one way or another.

21. badcrumble macrumors regular

It seems it'll be quite important post-WWDC to check the version numbers of whatever iPhones are announced. I'm hoping that both 2,1 and 3,1 are accounted for and not left up in the air, or I might not feel comfortable buying just yet.

22. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Why should it go in a different device though?
    I don't think the 9" device is that rumoured...
    There's a number of rumours flying around, but that's the first I've heard of a 9" touch device.

23. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

any update to current horrid situation will be welcomed

24. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

Anyone know the size of the 3Gs sensor? 1/5", 1/4"? I would love if they put in a 1/2" or 1/1.8" sensor but I don't see it happening.

25. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

That would be nice if the new iPhone had a single camera that can rotate depending on if you are using iChat AV or taking photos or movies.