Apple Orders Comedy Series Starring Kristen Wiig

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has placed an order for a 10-episode half-hour comedy show starring Kristen Wiig, reports Variety. The show is said to be based on the upcoming "You Think It, I'll Say It" short story collection by Curtis Sittenfeld.

Curtis Sittenfeld's book features 10 stories that "upend assumptions about class, relationships, and gender roles in a nation that feels both adrift and viscerally divided," according to its description on Amazon. It was created by Colleen McGuinness, who worked on "30 Rock," "Mercy," and "About a Boy."

[​IMG]
    Image via Esquire

The television show will be Wiig's first regular role since leaving "Saturday Night Live" in 2012. Over the course of the last few years, Wiig has focused heavily on movies, starring in "Bridesmaids," "The Martian," and "Ghostbusters."

Wiig will serve as an executive producer on the comedy alongside Reese Witherspoon and Lauren Neustadter, with author Sittenfeld serving as a consulting producer.

The new Kristen Wiig comedy is the third show Apple is working on alongside Reese Witherspoon and her Hello Sunshine company. Witherspoon herself will star in an upcoming morning show drama alongside Jennifer Aniston, and she's also executive producing "Are You Sleeping," a psychological thriller starring Octavia Spencer.

Other TV shows in the works at Apple include Steven Spielberg sci-fi series "Amazing Stories," an untitled space drama developed by Ronald D. Moore, known for "Battlestar Galactica," "Home," a docuseries that will look at extraordinary houses, and "See," an epic world-building drama set in the future.

Apple is also said to be in a bidding war for a new sci-fi drama series penned by J.J. Abrams.

Article Link: Apple Orders Comedy Series Starring Kristen Wiig

2. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

3. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

It's going to be interesting to see all of these shows Apple is developing. But, there are so many different ecosystems already, I'm wondering what the tipping point will be. I'd prefer not having to subscribe to a dozen different networks in the future. I wonder if all of these things will just start to bundle and put us right back at the current cable package type set up we have now. Interesting to watch it all unfold.

4. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

So pleased not to live in a nation that feels “both adrift and viscerally divided”.

5. MarkB786, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Guess I'm undecided about Apple going in this direction, although leaning toward being skeptical. Are they looking for another revenue stream? Are they being smart, or just copying Amazon and others? Is this where Tim and others are spending their time? What's their long-term vision here? Is Apple lost or smart? I'm selling a few more shares today and will be watching this and other product developments carefully. Feeling uneasy.

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

and next, a reality show on hipster coffee shops...

7. ipedro, Jan 17, 2018

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It's now completely impossible to ignore that Apple is building a Netflix competitor.

@AppleTV now has its own Twitter account, a clear counterpart to @AppleMusic.

I think that the only remaining questions are if it'll have a separate subscription or if Apple will bundle Apple Music and Apple TV under a single subscription.

I think that we'll see the demise of iTunes once Apple TV takes over. TV shows and movies are already available for purchase through the TV app and if Apple is going to compete with Netflix, then some of those tv shows and movies will have to be available to stream for free with the subscription.

It's also likely that Apple will have a deal with broadcast networks to stream channels that currently require a cable subscription to fully use their apps. Additional third party channels/apps could be subscribed to as has been rolling out in the TV app so you'll be able to subscribe to HBO for example and have it appear in the TV app.

It looks like a full cable substitute is on the horizon.

8. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I liked Apple better when they did what they did well and partnered with companies that filled in their gaps. Unfortunately the landscape has changed and it’s every man for themselves. We shall see if this pays off with good content. I haven’t been excited with anything just yet.

9. Turin macrumors newbie

Turin

Wonderful, talented and funny lady. The first good move Apple has made content-wise in a while.

10. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Oh, it's fun. We are a media-run country over here, so if they say we are adrift and divided, it must be true. Don't have to think for ourselves, which is kinda nice. More time for me to play video games and watch crap on TV. Brain optional, and most usually on a shelf gathering dust.

11. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Nice acquisition.

Here's hoping Apple figures out a proper interface for its subscription streaming video platform before all these shows launch. Trying to watch Apple Music shows in iTunes is maddening, and I don't even know if I can access them on my 3rd gen Apple TV.

12. dingle19 macrumors member

13. jakeowens macrumors member

14. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

I couldn't care less about this content apple is intent on making. I see why they're branching out but I just don't see this stuff catching on with the general public.

15. Kabeyun, Jan 17, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

With music and apps, Apple can supply all a customer needs. But with video, Apple can’t possibly have the goal to be the single source of all content. They’re obviously in the hunt for that one runaway show that brings in large revenue, elevates the brand, or both. Either way, they’re contending for a piece of a very big and distributed pie they can’t possibly dominate, which is new for Apple. Even with computers, while they may have recognized they couldn’t be the world’s only computer manufacturer, they believe themselves to have the better mousetrap. Here, the best they can hope for is a couple of excellent shows among numerous other excellent shows.

The strategy’s unclear but as a consumer I hope the programs are successful.

16. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

17. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Wow. Rehash the tired culture with same-old faces.

Just dig up some more graves, guys.

18. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

That's the beauty of what Apple is developing. If you pay attention to the signs in what they've been doing with the TV app, you can see where they're going towards.

Subscribe to Apple TV like you do today to Apple Music. You get Apple's TV exclusive shows like you would if you subscribe to Netflix. But Apple TV isn't just Apple content. You'll gain access to local broadcast networks that today require a cable subscription. Your Apple TV account is that "cable" subscription. You can also subscribe to HBO for example and have those shows appear in Apple TV. This functionality is already there. Since Apple sells the hardware and owns the tvOS App Store ecosystem, it will benefit these channels and apps to plug themselves into the Apple TV app.

Netflix is still a holdout but only because they've had such a dominant position serving a large library of third party content. Netflix is transforming itself into a production company, relying far less on third party content. In that way, they won't be competing with Apple to be the provider of third party content. They'll be complimenting Apple's content. If you want to watch Stranger Things and Dark Mirror for example, you subscribe to Netflix and those shows and all of Netflix's content appear in the TV App.

I don't know if this is what Steve Jobs meant when he said that Apple had "cracked it", but it does seem very much in line with channels as apps being the future of TV with Apple building a central place to watch them all. Apple offering its own exclusive content is a way of making sure Apple users sign up to their central distribution rather than a dozen others.

19. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

This is what I would like to know. If it's going to be separate from Apple Music or one subscription for both.

20. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

Kristen Wiig is a fine example of a comedian that brings value to any production shes a part of. The couple of episodes of ‘last man on earth’ where she guest starred were bright spots in an otherwise abysmal season that continues its way down to the bottom of the crapper. Stopped watching that series an episode or two later. Good for her. Heres hoping Apple doesnt cock it up...

21. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I can peek into the future and show you Apple's super secret interface for its subscription streaming video platform.

Ready?

This is what it looks like:

watch_now_large.jpg

watch_anywhere_large.png

How are so many of you missing that the Apple TV app is Apple's video and tv counterpoint to Apple Music? It's already all there. It already has all of Apple's existing productions, it already has all of iTunes' tv and movie content, including a built in store and it already aggregates other third party services. All that's missing is the subscription button.

When Apple is ready to launch the service, they just have to turn on the subscription like all other third party providers already do in this app and all of their shows will appear here.

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

23. jdillings macrumors 68000

ROFL..no one is going to pay for Apple streaming service to watch SJW nonsense. Timmy is delusional.

24. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Is that app on the 3rd gen Apple TV?

25. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Breaking News: old hardware eventually becomes obsolete.

I can't subscribe to Apple Music on my iPod either.