Apple Orders 'Little Voices' Series from Producer J.J. Abrams, Featuring Original Music by Sara Bareilles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As its stable of original television shows increases, Apple has now ordered a new half-hour dramedy called "Little Voices" straight to series (via Variety). The show comes from executive producers J.J. Abrams and Sara Bareilles, and is described as a love letter to "the diverse musicality of New York."

Little Voices will explore the lives of characters in their early 20s as they struggle to find their "authentic voice," and with Bareilles as executive producer the show will also debut original songs throughout the ten episode first season.

[​IMG]
    J.J. Abrams via Wikimedia Commons

Screenwriter Jessie Nelson ("I Am Sam", "Stepmom", and "Corrina, Corrina") will serve as the showrunner, and is set to write, executive produce, and direct the first episode. No word on actors who will be cast in the show has been given.

Little Voices marks the first time a show from Apple will be connected to J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions, which also produces current shows like "Westworld" on HBO, "Castle Rock" on Hulu, and brought previous series like "Fringe" and "Lost" to the air.

Apple is quickly collecting shows, the first of which are rumored to premiere sometime before March 2019. Recent show announcements include the Hailee Steinfeld starring "Dickinson", an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series, an animated show called "Central Park" from the creator of "Bob's Burgers", and more.

Article Link: Apple Orders 'Little Voices' Series from Producer J.J. Abrams, Featuring Original Music by Sara Bareilles

2. threee macrumors newbie

threee

3. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

4. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

5. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Someone with the pedigree like J.J. Abrams, THIS is what Apple wants from him, a show about the angst of millennials trying to find their voice? Unless there is a Cloverfield tie in, a big MEH on this one.

So far nothing Apple has announced entices me to their platform. I am all for having another service streaming original content but so far Apple's sleeper strategy has been to announce content that sounds completely boring and unoriginal, toss it under the Apple Music brand with some vague music tie-in shtick, not release any of it yet, and it all adds up to nothing I am willing to drop another $9.99 a month on to watch.

6. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Musical. Sounds Lame. Another pass.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    And Star Wars.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Sounds like a piece of crap from the description - a half-step above Carpool Karaoke. Who greenlights this garbage?

8. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Sara: I’m not gonna write you a theme song!
    'cause you asked for it
    'cause you need one, you see

Apple: Here’s a pile of money.

9. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Science friction. Abrams should rename his company: Skid Mark Productions.

10. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Naysayers, go find something else that excites you.

I’m intrigued and looking forward to this already. It seems like an interesting creative combination and I’m guessing may share a tiny amount of DNA with what JJ did on Felicity and Alias.

11. ryanasimov macrumors regular

It just seems so odd that Apple chooses to use its extra cash on these dissimilar TV shows.

12. thenewyorkgod macrumors member

13. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

New TV shows but nothing on new Macs. I’m sick of Cook’s leadership. He must go.

14. tn-xyz macrumors regular

tn-xyz

15. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Iambic pentameter? Or Gangnam Haiku?

16. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

There's nothing exciting with Apple original content, thats for sure!

17. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

Honestly no surprise there. They're just shooting for their core customer demographic, not us macrumors people.

Watch bands, animojis, making a big deal out of porting features to mobile that have been available for years on desktop and using it as a way to leverage accessory sales, trite nonsense about trust fund kids in New York brought to you by the master of meaningless shallow drivel that likes to pretend there's some hidden deeper message... This is the core demographic now that Apple thinks will sell. Apple has become a bastard child of Disney and Sony.

And that's fine by me. I'm happy to vote with my dollars, which I'll happily be doing elsewhere.

18. devilsnj30 macrumors member

If its some what based on Bareilles rise, then it will definitely not be following around trust fund kids.

19. alexe macrumors newbie

Enough with Carpool Karaoke and the likes.

All the shows Apple announced sound soooo boring.

If there isn't going to be a GoT, Stranger Things, Breaking Bad or anything of that calibre in there, nobody is going to care.

20. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm looking forward to the Star Trek/Star Wars most ambitious crossover event in history!

21. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Hmmmm this might and only "might" be the only one I would watch so far.

22. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

While I won't debate that she does have talent, I fail to see how somebody born, raised, educated and employed in California, who has been a member of the iTunes indie click for years (and has made a lot of coin doing so) is going to present a genuine portrait of poor kids in New York, the only place even more expensive than California. Sorry, but this is JJ Abrams were talking about. Pretty people, lots of money, pretty places, with a good soundtrack. That's what JJ Abrams does.

23. rpmurray macrumors regular

Is this the same JJ Abrams who told us that Lost was all mapped out and they'd be tying up most of the loose ends in the final season and then proceeded to **** all over the fans and not deliver.

24. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

Sara Bareilles is a fine Broadway singer. The hell with these people. It’s in to be a philistine. Don’t they know Apple is at the intersection of technology and the arts? Oh, and without J.J., there would be no more Star Trek anymore.

25. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Another one just for the Apple Leadership Team to watch together on Sundays using Memoji's over Facetime.