Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the original film "Finch," starring Tom Hanks in its titular role, will premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, November 5 and shared a first-look image from the film.

Apple_Films_Tom_Hanks_Finch_First_Look.jpg
The first look at "Finch," shared by Apple.

The film, which is anticipated to be an awards season contender, revolves around a man, a robot (played by "Get Out" actor Caleb Landry Jones), and a dog that form an unlikely family. Apple describes the film as follows:

In "Finch," a man, a robot and a dog form an unlikely family in a powerful and moving adventure of one man's quest to ensure that his beloved canine companion will be cared for after he's gone. Hanks stars as Finch, a robotics engineer and one of the few survivors of a cataclysmic solar event that has left the world a wasteland. But Finch, who has been living in an underground bunker for a decade, has built a world of his own that he shares with his dog, Goodyear. He creates a robot, played by Jones, to watch over Goodyear when he no longer can. As the trio embarks on a perilous journey into a desolate American West, Finch strives to show his creation, who names himself Jeff, the joy and wonder of what it means to be alive. Their road trip is paved with both challenges and humor, as it's as difficult for Finch to goad Jeff and Goodyear to get along as it is for him to manage the dangers of the new world.

Apple won the rights to Finch earlier this year after bids from multiple streaming networks. It will be the second film starring Hanks to debut on Apple TV+, following last year's war film "Greyhound." Finch arrives on Apple TV+ later this year on November 5, adding to Apple TV+'s growing selection of films.

Earlier today, Apple also shared a discussion to promote "CODA," another of its original films that is scheduled to premiere on Apple TV+ on August 13. The discussion between the film's actors, including Marlee Matlin, Troy Kotsur, and Daniel Durant, and writer and director Siân Heder, covered incorporating American Sign Language on set, the significance of authentically casting and presenting people with disabilities, and the universality of stories.

Article Link: Apple Original Film 'Finch' Starring Tom Hanks to Premiere November 5

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I don't even need to read the synopsis. A cool-looking robot design and Tom Hanks, in a movie. 🤩

(Apple – give some customers early previews, please!)

EDIT: I read the synopsis. Postapocalyptic. Road trip. Perilous. Challenges. Teaching robot about humanity. I suspect this is going to make me cry.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Turner & Hooch, sci-fi edition?

I love Tom Hanks and enjoyed Greyhound. It may not be on the same caliber as Das Boot, The Hunt for Red October, or Crimson Tide. But it surely was enjoyable, great for COVID-19 stay-at-shelter days. A majority of movies on Apple TV+ are either documentaries or "serious." I like to see more casual fare like Finch and The Shrink Next Door.

On a related note, Apple TV+ Originals tab on Apple TV app is getting crowded. I would like to see "movies", "TV series", and "nonfiction/documentaries" get their own tab page. Lumping all movies as "feature films" makes it difficult to figure out their genre.

CaptainSeymour

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
I really enjoyed Tom Hanks' previous AppleTV movie, Greyhound! Excellent story, well developed characters and not filled with profanity, graphic violence, or sex. Also, no obvious political agenda shoehorned into the storyline that only detracts from the value of the production. Hopefully, Apple will continue to create this type of entertainment and they will have great success and reach the largest audiences. Thus far, Finch appears to fit the same mold. Hopefully so! I'm looking forward to it.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
A photo? The movie drops in 3 months and all they have to show is a single photo?
Sigh
Why is apple so horrible at promoting its video content?

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
On a related note, Apple TV+ Originals tab on Apple TV app is getting crowded. I would like to see "movies", "TV series", and "nonfiction/documentaries" get their own tab page. Lumping all movies as "feature films" makes it difficult to figure out their genre.
That‘s a really good point. Looking ahead at all of the shows coming before the end of the year this is a problem that is going to need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

On a completely unrelated note I accidentally clicked on Netflix the other day on my  tv 4K and realized I had not watched anything on that streaming service for months. It is clearly time to reconsider that subscription. I will be keeping  tv+ as we watch a number of shows on there and there are more coming.

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
My father was in the fight for the North Atlantic, and I knew a couple of former destroyer captains growing up. Did I watch Greyhound? You can bet your ... 🍸🙀 Looking forward to this one.

Reactions: GermanSuplex

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
A photo? The movie drops in 3 months and all they have to show is a single photo?
Sigh
Why is apple so horrible at promoting its video content?
Lol. When Apple held special live events promoting Ted Lasso many people on MacRumours were complaining it was being over-promoted; nothing to do with you, just an observation. I am with you, I would like to see more. That said, trailers and marketing are their own monsters which is not what I do.

To quote Dr. Frank-n-Furter, “Antici……………………………………p...p…p...pation!”

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
This looks pretty decent! Kind of like an unofficial Turner and Hooch sequel, made for the 2000’s. I like Tom Hanks in these whimsical roles, sort of like Cast Away and The Terminal, laughs peppered with drama, moments of comedy and moments of seriousness.

Slowly but surely Apple is expanding their library.

Reactions: bored
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.