Apple outdid themselves.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHalo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

This new update. Wow. Just wow. I knew it'd be good, but the phone feels nearly perfect. Battery is awesome. Huge props to apple.

2. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

take it you never jailbroke before none of these features are really new. all apple did was take a lot of the popular jailbreak features and add them to the new platform.

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I jailbroke numerous times. It's still an awesome update.

4. bundu macrumors member

Yeah, they implemented subpar multi tasking, *gasp* wallpaper, and... what else exactly? Oh yeah, digital zoom which 3rd part apps have had for over a year now.

Oh wait... FOLDERS. That must've taken years of R&D to come up with.

5. kozlosap macrumors member

It's Monday - can't we wait for Friday for the negativity to start:confused:

6. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You guys are blind. I've JB'n my phone in the past, too, but this update has SOOOOO many nice little touches, fixes, improvement, features, etc. It's great.

And the multitasking is actually better, in most respects, than backgrounding while JB'n.

7. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I jailbroke before, and while it was nice, it was all too sloppy all for me. One day, though, I accidentally updated to 3.1.3 and the jailbroken iPhone was no more - I was back to a regular iPhone. I really like what Apple has to offer rather than what 3rd Party programs offer.

So, I agree. Great job, Apple. 4.0 looks terrific.

8. bundu macrumors member

LOL. No... just no.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yes, just, well... yes it is.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Apple's implementation is far better than anything I've seen on a jailbroken device...even if these features are three years late

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I really don't understand why people like Backgrounder so much. It was such a drag on performance, and having to micromanage exactly which apps were running when was a huge pain in the arse. Apple's solution is far, far more elegant.

12. bundu macrumors member

Years must've gone into R&D for folders to be implemented. And that digital zoom is awesome, it was even cooler when I first used it over a year ago.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

How could you have used it long enough to gauge that the "Battery is awesome"?:rolleyes:

14. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

What do you mean micromanage?

It added a badge to a backgrounded application. You want it closed? Go to it and close it accordingly. It was as simple as can be.

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

the software was nothing new. the hardware is great

16. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

i'm so torn.

never liked categories or backgrounder on the jailbreak.

but... SBSettings... o how i love you.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The point being that I prefer Apple's system, in that if the app is not actively doing anything, I don't have to worry about it.

I don't want to have to go quitting applications to free up memory every time I open another app.

18. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

Be careful with the positivity, the cranky kids dont like it... :rolleyes:

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Ya, except they all work smoothly and aren't jury-rigged work arounds that crash your phone on a regular basis.

20. pugnut macrumors 6502a

95% of the population are not part of the "Home Brew" crew. They do not want to go into DFU and holding the phone on a 90 degree angle to update. They want a phone that is reliable and feature rich, but not at the expense of usability.

For me this release is the best so far. I have been on the beta since day 1 and this GM is smooth and seems to resolve a lot of legacy issues, in my opinion.

For what it is worth Apple is not stupid they know what the public wants, however they will not release something until they are 98% sure it will degrade the user experience, period. Maybe that is why they have a Market Cap of a 1/4 trillion dollars and continue to outsell the market.:apple:

21. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Not all of us want to jailbreak our phones. So this update is very nice. To each his own on what they do with their phone, but I like knowing I have a problem with my phone can take it to an apple store right away and not mess with hoping they do not find out I jailbroked the phone which voids warranty. Im just not that brave and also if something can go bad, it will for me heh.

22. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

where did all of this "jailbreak voids warranty" stuff come from?

just restore the phone and it's as good as new. they can't tell it was even jailbroken. i understand if you dont want to do it b/c you are novice or dont have time or whatever the reason... but the reason cant be b/c it voids warranty and you couldnt take it to Apple.. b/c yes.. you can.

23. M87 macrumors 65816

Jailbreaking is wonderful if you like all kinds of bugs popping up in your phone and restoring because something really screwed it up.

24. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Jailbreaking is for those who like things half assed... I too found it sloppy and a mess

25. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I agree to some extent. I do think a lot of things are sloppy and a mess and some things can mess up your phone and cause it to crash or just operate pretty slow. However, I think jailbreaking an iPhone isn't much different then owning an Android device as far as reliability goes. So if you prefer being able to customize your phone over having a phone that is polished and refined, then jailbreak your phone or get an Android device. I don't think there's much of a difference between the two. The plus side to jailbreaking is that if you get sick of it, you can always revert it back to stock (which is what I did).