Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Outlines Smart Wristband with Phone Connectivity and Gesture Control in New Patent

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today granted Apple a patent that describes a wrist-worn device containing sensors and wireless radios that allow it to communicate with other devices such as the iPhone, iPad or Mac (Via AppleInsider). It is a comprehensive patent that describes some of the core features of Apple's rumored iWatch device.

Front view of a device similar to a sixth-generation iPod nano docked into wristband

The invention details a modular device, identified in the patent as the "iTime", that features a wrist-worn, sensor-laden strap and potentially removable modules. The modules, such as a media player, can snap into a wristband, which contains add-ons like GPS and a Wi-Fi radio that increase the functionality of the device. The system is reminiscent of the sixth-generation iPod nano, which fits a wristband to become a wearable media player.
The invention pertains to an electronic wristwatch. According to one embodiment, an electronic wristband can provide additional electrical circuitry or devices that can be made available for use as or with an electronic device. In one embodiment, the electronic device can be a mobile electronic device that can be removably coupled to the electronic wristband which provides the additional circuitry or devices. Advantageously, the electronic device can utilize the additional electrical circuitry or devices provided within the electronic wristband to augment the capabilities of the electronic device. In another embodiment, the electronic device can be integrally formed with the electronic wristband which provides the additional circuitry or devices.
Side view showing wristband with docking connector (314)

Apple also describes a method of connecting the smartwatch to a mobile device that allows for the display of incoming calls, text messages and other alerts on the wrist-worn display. In another embodiment, the device can alert the user when it is out of range and thus at risk of being lost or stolen. The patent also contains provisions for movement-based controls of the wristwatch device.

Apple is rumored to be working on the iWatch, a smartwatch device that could debut later this year. Rumors suggests the wristband may include sensors to monitor activity levels, heart rate and other vital health functions. The device likely will share its data with iOS via the new Health app in iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Outlines Smart Wristband with Phone Connectivity and Gesture Control in New Patent

AppleExpert

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Canada
Seems nice and like something I would buy if it was cheap, but who am I kidding, its by Apple and will most likely cost a lot of money.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
It was filed in Jan 2011 during a time when people were mounting Nano's to wristbands, so I'm guessing the iWatch will probably be nothing like this.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I like the idea of a modular strap with sensors. You could buy a "low cost" model with less sensors then upgrade as needed (or when your wallet recovers)

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
How does a circular display provide a better user experience?

It may not necessarily, but any old person (not age-wise, just random) walking down the street could look at your wrist and say "that's a smart watch". They'd immediately think that it's a regular watch if it were square. And anyways, iOS could be formatted to work on circular watches if that's what Apple plans to do.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
It may not necessarily, but any old person (not age-wise, just random) walking down the street could look at your wrist and say "that's a smart watch". They'd immediately think that it's a regular watch if it were square. And anyways, iOS could be formatted to work on circular watches if that's what Apple plans to do.

What? "Dumb" watches are overwhelmingly circular. How would releasing a square smart watch make people think its a regular watch anymore than a circular one would?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
A black bar :p

I get that this is a technical limitation of the display since its a round screen and they needed to put some of the workings somewhere...

but I'm hoping that as technology advances they can get rid of it.

Its the first real smart watch that at least doesn't look like something you'd get beat up over in highschool'

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
A black bar :p

No black bar in these mockups

Of course, they're only mockups; but as you can see, the software looks dramatically different and still usable than the Android stuff. But at the end of the day, typically whatever Apple releases turns out to be awesome anyway, so a rectangular screen wouldn't phase me.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Does anyone read before they post? It states that the image on the patent is an iPod Nano in a wrist watch band.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I get that this is a technical limitation of the display since its a round screen and they needed to put some of the workings somewhere...

but I'm hoping that as technology advances they can get rid of it.

Its the first real smart watch that at least doesn't look like something you'd get beat up over in highschool'

Moto 360 is quite thick and big. I can't imagine a woman wearing it. Certainly not anyone with tiny wrists.

I still think smart watches are a solution looking for a problem. It's the tech world trying to find "the next big thing" and looking for growth since smartphones and tablets are starting to become more mature and growth is slowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.