Apple Paid $500,000 for Exclusive Access to Chance the Rapper's 'Coloring Book' Mixtape

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

This and the Beats acquisition likely provided a good return on investment. Apple isn't the most valuable company in the world by making rash decisions without due diligence.

By the way, that song is called "Baby Got Back."

2. Pentium macrumors 6502

Pentium

hahahaha, this is not gonna happen anytime soon :D

3. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

Apple could give away all their MacBooks for free and not even notice the difference cash-wise

4. Macaholic868 macrumors regular

Macaholic868

Enough with the "special access" BS. Don't buy it or stream it on Apple Music. If enough people vote with their wallets this crap will come to an end.

5. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

the artist is garbage what a waste of money

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    My point is that I think that this $500,000 "investment" is terrible. Do they expect to get a positive return on investment from that? Will 50,000 months of Apple Music be purchased due to having received this album 2 weeks earlier than anyone else? Not a chance (pun not intended). Even the most loyal of Chance's fans could surely wait 2 weeks (or obtain it illegally), and nobody else was even paying attention. Permanent exclusives (or at least 1+ years) could have a little bit of impact, but not at the rate of $13M a year.... I understand the idea is to get little tiny exclusives here and there to slowly build support from different areas of the market, but I think that's a futile cause. What they need is to provide the best service. Period.

8. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

Of course not, Apple or Steve wouldn't either.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I appreciate the analysis, but I don't see it. That assumes 50,000 people stay subscribed for a full year. Again the exclusive is for TWO WEEKS. As I said above, I think they can wait the 2 weeks. Perhaps a few will subscribe for a month to get early access, but I don't see anybody switching from another service permanently because of this.

10. A_A macrumors newbie

You're still looking at it as just this one album, and not the whole big picture of choosing between Spotify or Apple Music. When the two are priced the same, and Apple has the exclusive albums all the time, why choose the other one when you have to wait two weeks every month for the new albums. That is what Apple is pushing towards, if you can get the new music sooner, they are trying to persuade more people to choose them.

11. triton100, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

triton100 macrumors regular

So hold on how do you expect him as an artist to earn a living and make any money off of the time he spends creating his art? If he works a considerable amount of time making music which Is then given away for free to appreciative fans but not recompensed is that fair? If he has a way of making money other than through touring and Apple think he is worth stumping up for then more power to him. Do you work for free?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    So by that definition you won't mind strangers coming to your house and eating your food, borrowing clothes and electricity for a few months. Not stealing. Sharing.

12. triton100 macrumors regular

Yeah let's denounce one of the most influential genres of music ever to be created by saying it's not music and is the worst thing ever. A multi billion dollar industry would beg to differ with your narrow mind.

13. satchmo macrumors 68000

Apple took quite the risk...I would have left nothing to Chance. :p

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

That makes the presumption that Apple is going to get exclusive albums "all the time". Or even majority of the time. If Apple get's a couple of 2 week exclusive album each month (and that's still a tiny amount of albums released each month), that's $12M a year spent on exclusives which, while is tiny for apple, I'm still not convinced that will actually create a positive ROI.

I still think that creating the best service and experience is the most important thing. Maybe I'm unusual, but if I already like the service I have I wouldn't switch just because I need to wait 2 weeks to get the latest album.

15. robbyx macrumors 6502a

I'm a shareholder and I'm not remotely upset about this. $500K is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what they spend on traditional forms of advertising and promotion. So many people are getting upset over nothing. This is just another marketing tactic. I doubt any of the naysayers here would complain if Apple spent the same on billboards or bus stop ads or tv commercials. And I'd wager this exclusive was a much better return on investment.

16. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

17. JPSaltzman macrumors regular

JPSaltzman

For that much money, they could have hired me to clean up the UI mess in iOS and Mac OS (whatever the current iteration). Sorry, Jony, you may know industrial design, but you don't know one thing about the proper use of type on a digital device.

18. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

I'm sure they are seen as the stocks are at their highest ever currently.

But i'm sure the users of MacRumors know how to run the words most valuable company better...

19. cardfan macrumors 65816

Heh..i never heard of him. Sounds like a joke though.

20. alexgowers macrumors 65816

Half a million is not a lot of money after tax/corp tax. Lawyer fees. Management percentage. Etc very few people make mega bucks from actual music. A few weeks exclusive never hurt anyone and record labels could be banking some cash if they played along, my mind boggles why they want to discourage it.

21. RichTF, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017

RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

You might be right, of course. But the numbers I quoted aren't exactly beyond the bounds of reason either.

Anyway, presumably Apple crunched the numbers and decided it was worth the risk. I have no shares in Apple, so…*shrug* ;)

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

It's not even worth the effort of stealing music anymore imo when streaming services are $5-10 a month.

Unless you're downloading lossless quality and have the system to make use of the lossless quality, which means you should probably be willing to pay for music.

23. supercoolmanchu, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2017

supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

So boring. The problem with doing creative music content, is that Apple has lousy taste. Now they are spending to try and seem hip with yesterday's flavors. They have an arsenal of awesome software and hardware at their disposal, wide open multi-media creative possibilities, and they've spending 1/2 million for 2 weeks exclusive of 1 artist's album in a genre that's as stale, pedestrian and corporate as it comes.

If Apple wants to effectively create artistic content, they need to find artists or projects that are bigger than what every else is doing. One rapper or one pop diva's album is a poor use of both imagination and money.

Apple should fire the music personalities they've been collecting, and instead pay rad computer nerds to interface with nutty artists to build more compelling content. Musicians are end users of technology not creators, find a way to give them access to the people who are, then find ways to show off both.

24. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

As a indie musician, to me it's a win. I'd like to see Apple doing more of this, maybe not 500k each, but for most indie artists, 10 or 20k is a big deal.