Apple Paid $500,000 for Exclusive Access to Chance the Rapper's 'Coloring Book' Mixtape

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. jermainedvauz macrumors newbie

jermainedvauz

Great investment. Chance went on to win three Grammys this year, with 'Coloring Book' winning Best Rap Album which is great for an new independent rap artist.

2. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

Well, Spotify is still having problems turning a profit, so that just goes to show that music streaming is a very cutthroat market, and you need way more than just a good app design to make it work.

3. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

will this tweet get him into legal trouble or trouble in the music industry?
    just wondering

4. A_A macrumors newbie

If you're paying the same 9.99 a month, but have to wait 2 weeks to hear a new album every time it comes it, you'll see frustration. I know people that added Apple music along with Spotify because there were artists and other features Apple Music had that Spotify didn't

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    See this is the part where I just need to shut up. Because I'm not into music. I don't follow it closely. When I hear a "new" song, that means it's probably already been out at least 6 months. So clearly it's aimed at a certain segment of the population that I'm nowhere near.

6. Mactendo macrumors 65816

If that Who The Hell Is He got $500 000, then I can only imagine how much Taylor Swift got for her exclusives.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe in the states, anywhere else not so much.
    Multi billion dollar industry says nothing about whether Rap/Hiphop is good music, it could mean that people buying this kind of music have no taste.
    Narrow mind has nothing to do with this, I find it rather insulting you say this.

8. Arndroid macrumors 6502a

Arndroid

Your post makes no sense. How would people be willing to pay for it on all these other streaming services? If you think that loss was anywhere close to what he actually got paid you are seriously misunderstanding the business.

If you take the average of range for payouts it's $.007. Take the $500k plus another $100k for the promotional video and he would have had to had been streamed almost 87 million times in two weeks to break even. If you factor in the canibakization of apple numbers you are looking at even a higher stream count.

Spotify top streamed songs are easy to find and it's easy to see that it requires much longer than 2 weeks to get close to 100 million streams.
    Ed Sheeren's current numbers are the only ones that might even make anyone second guess taking the kind of deal Chance got. And that is only accounting for worldwide sales.

We will just ignore the fact that the album was the first streaming only release ever to chart in the Billboard Top 200.

I'm not necessarily a fan of exclusivity deals like this but clearly the deal made sense for Apple and Chance and trying to proclaim either made a bad deal is to ignore the facts.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:45 AM ---
    They should put you in charge of Apple Music. Spotify should also invest into battery technology research, the kinds of things that push music service subscriptions.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 AM ---
    Aren't people who pirate music in 2017 while calling musicians and artists corporate phonys really the biggest phonies and hypocrites?

9. Sevendaymelee macrumors regular

Sevendaymelee

Another good reason to support physical media.

10. LeonardXW macrumors newbie

Half million for 2 weeks exclusive. Is this really worth it?
    I know Apple is rich. Should Apple invest on making Apple product really great?
    I don't understand how Apple make the decision to pay half million for this new singer? How they so sure all Apple user will like it and subscribe Apple Music.

11. seyss macrumors newbie

Half a mil for this crappy rap guy and we still can't have the volume hud out of our faces

12. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Why did you put '(music)' after the word rap? I don't get the connection as rap is not music.

13. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

Are you familiar with capitalism?

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I subscribe to both Google Play Music and Amazon Music Unlimited. Not for exclusives, but I keep Google Music because of the YouTube Red tie in and I use Amazon exclusively on my Echos. I'm sure Apple has some market research that tells them these exclusives help them retain and attract customers.

What is most unbelievable is the large number of people in this thread who know nothing about marketing or how businesses are run in general.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM ---
    You are not thinking broadly enough. If I don't subscribe to any music service and I'm thinking about getting one, the fact that Apple seems to get the newest releases from the biggest artists before any other service may be the factor that makes me select them over Spotify. This isn't about a specific artist. It is about Apple being the places to hear the newest big thing first. That's it.

15. user7c macrumors newbie

No.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The reason labels want to discourage it is not because of some altruistic notion of getting the music to the people. It's because they don't want their business and interests to take another hit from Apple. The labels desperately want to keep the status quo. Hell, if they could go back to the CD/brick_mortar model right now, they would do so in a heartbeat.

However, everyone knows (even the labels) that the digital cat is out of the bag. From here on out, it's damage control for them. To the labels, they'd rather have anyone other than Apple controlling the music industry. If it were Google or Amazon paying for exclusives (provided they aren't indie artists), they'd be all over that. But no, it's Apple that's paying and they don't want Apple to disrupt the biz. Anyone but Apple.

17. Macaholic868 macrumors member

Macaholic868

Common should produce an Apple backed coloring book. And charge $300 for it.

18. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Tell this to my brother who is a musician and is pissed when he sees people steal his work on torrent sites instead of paying him.

And its not like he is a rich artist and can afford this. Or like he is asking for an arm and a leg. He needs every dollar. If you enjoy his work pay him. Easy as that.

You guys are like the people who say steeling from a big company is not hurting anybody. It is still a theft.

19. meldea macrumors regular

There is an excellent chance he violated some form of non-disclosure regarding the terms of his agreement with Apple. However, it's unlikely there will be any negative outcomes, either with Apple or with the music industry at large. Maybe just a heads up that he shouldn't post that stuff.

20. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

It doesn't matter. You take stuff that isn't yours to have if you don't pay for it. Whether you call it stealing or not is besides the point. It is illegal behaviour.

Simple really...

21. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If I had the money, I'd pay 500 grand to ensure I never had to hear "Chance The Rapper" again. That dude is awful.

23. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

And nobody cared... How about use the money to make a WebApp, so your service is not tied to the bloated trash that is iTunes on desktop.

24. A_A macrumors newbie

They are also scared of the artist going the way of Frank Ocean and just becoming an indie musician and having Apple put up a lot of the money upfront for them.

The 3 major label companies also have small investment in Spotify, so they definitely don't want it to fail.

25. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi