Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniruddh

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2017
We'll see in 5 years then, 5 years is nothing.

I tell you what significant happened in last 5 years here. 5 years ago, India had no 4G scene. 5 years later, India ranks 14 in terms of 4G coverage. 5 years ago, India's rank was below 100 in terms of data consumption. 5 years later India ranks 1.

That's how things change rapidly here. These big companies are not operated by fools who are bidding high on India. They have more statistics than you and me who have just publicly released data available.

I live here and I know a hell lot more than you about my country.

We'll see in 5 years then, 5 years is nothing.

I also said nice things about India in an earlier post.

Don't know everything, there's truth in what I said, whether you like it or not.

Which was apparently deleted due to being another bashing post?

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Do they realize that they cannot use trade war between USA and China as an excuse for the rather high price of the iDevices right now?

Let's see how this will turn out.

Reasons or excuses are not relevant if consumers continue to pay the prices . It’s like a relationship, the partner keep taking more and more ... if you let them;)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Reasons or excuses are not relevant if consumers continue to pay the prices . It’s like a relationship, the partner keep taking more and more ... if you let them;)

“If”, yes. But it appears that they have hit the ceiling, and from now on, all margin for eventual another price increase is gone. Doing it again would be suicide.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
“If”, yes. But it appears that they have hit the ceiling, and from now on, all margin for eventual another price increase is gone. Doing it again would be suicide.

From iPhone 7 and 7+ prices of top spec units have gone up over 50% . Question , where is that cealing

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Another iPhone that only rich Indians can afford. Too bad is not working in the first world countries.

visusomanchi

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
Another iPhone that only rich Indians can afford. Too bad is not working in the first world countries.
Every country was once a third world country by definition before it transformed into a first world country by definition even though the definition of first and third world countries were defined much later after the transformation of few third world countries to first world countries is completed.

Majority of the so called third world countries got their independence in the last 60-70 years and they are currently designated as developing countries during the transformation from third world to first world countries.

Reactions: Aniruddh

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Please remove the "Assembled in" tagline as you did in the U.S. No one wants to be remembered their expensive phones were made in those countries.
That’s not a choice Apple can make. Certification bodies determine the labeling on products and it varies by country.

Reactions: Aniruddh

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
From what I've been reading the count of total employees of Apple's assembly partners should be lower than 10 million. Where did you get the 1 billion number from? I highly doubt it. You are saying about 1 in 8 people in the world are working on Apple assembly?

People are generally not very good with big numbers. Especially when there are only 5 Billion Adults in the world, he is suggesting 1 in 5 works for Apple.
[doublepost=1546067774][/doublepost]
>> The expansion of high-end iPhone assembly outside of China could also be an attempt by Apple to "limit the impact" of a trade war between the United States and China <<

India has high tariff's on electronics goods (like smartphones that aren't final assembled there), so rather than a hedge with China this is probably a way to bring the prices of Apple's high end smartphones down for retail in India (because the Indian government slaps tarrifs on them currently since they're not final assembled there). Guessing this will be local final assembly as opposed to final assembly for the world.

The same reason they started doing local final assembly of some of their lower cost phones there previously - India's tariffs. JMHO...

I wish this was true. Because India requires not only just assembly, which is the easy part, but also certain % of components bought from within India. That means some supply chain companies other than Foxconn will have to move to India as well. Assuming Indian government gives enough incentives and preparation ( Such as Water, Land, pipes, electricity... all the basics ), that it should be no problem. But from what I read Indian government doesn't want to give any assistance at all.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tell you what significant happened in last 5 years here. 5 years ago, India had no 4G scene. 5 years later, India ranks 14 in terms of 4G coverage. 5 years ago, India's rank was below 100 in terms of data consumption. 5 years later India ranks 1.

That's how things change rapidly here. These big companies are not operated by fools who are bidding high on India. They have more statistics than you and me who have just publicly released data available.

I live here and I know a hell lot more than you about my country.

Bold: that means next to nothing, India has what...1.3 Billion people, that's 3.5-4 times bigger than the States for instance.

As for the "I know more than you" statement, erm yeah sure, can't deny that, that doesn't mean I don't know nothing.
There are people, non Indians which know a lot more about your country than yourself.
I myself spend 15 years in Asia, about 8 of them in Indonesia, I know more about Indonesia than my girlfriend, heck, I am almost sure I know more about Indonesia than the country I am from.

Which was apparently deleted due to being another bashing post?

Odd, didn't get a deletion notification from the Mods.
Edit: It was deleted I see now, but not for the reason you said, it was off topic.
I said , India if a beautiful country, Mountains, religions, Temples, mysterious, history, wildlife amongst many more.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Why would you want those jobs? It's the opposite of how capitalism works. The higher paid, non-manual labours that requires higher levels of education in the western world, the lower paid, manual labours moving to developing countries.

Do you want tens of millions of Americans working on assembly lines while the number of researchers, scientists, engineer in developing countries keeps growing more and more? To what end? Replace those countries and let them take your place? Doesn't look smart to me. . . . . .

Because, depending on which figures you believe, about 21% or 52 million people are not working or working at jobs that support a family and therefor require government assistance (which means they are paid by the taxes on workers.)

These jobs would be paid at rates (like autoworkers) that sustain families without government assistance. This is better for the families, better for existing workers, and better for the community. It is NOT better for the government because they lose control of these 52 million voters. Simple math and common sense.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Good. Not to blindly jump on the anti-China bandwagon, but they are pretty terrible in a lot of aspects. Are the cheap manufacturing prices really worth selling the soul of our IP? The blatant theft and underhanded business tactics are just downright awful. Anything we can do to un-do that poisonous relationship is welcome.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Agreed. I dunno why everybody makes stuff in China as opposed to any other developing country.

Good to see some diversity...

You would probably be surprised at how many companies have moved out of China as wages increase.
Tech is still very China orientated though as they have the capability to make all the components. In time I’m sure this will also change.

dennislaska

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Buffalo,NY
Apple likes it's high margins. It doesn't like to sell low end entry level prodects. And when it has to like in India they will find a way to keep these margins.

Have to pay for that new Apple park building

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 122

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
For those worrying about Apples prospects in the $100-400 price range, in India,Africa don’t worry.Refurbished & used iPhones are plentiful. Of 1 Billion active iPhones, 250 Million+ are gray market(hand me down,refurbished or resold) . These don’t show up in Apples official numbers.

This is why the services narrative is much powerful than it seems.

Apple needs no ‘low cost’ iPhones ,since the gray market takes care of it ,thanks to iPhones incredible durability & reliability. Copied this from some other guy on another forum I was reading

visusomanchi

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
For those worrying about Apples prospects in the $100-400 price range, in India,Africa don’t worry.Refurbished & used iPhones are plentiful. Of 1 Billion active iPhones, 250 Million+ are gray market(hand me down,refurbished or resold) . These don’t show up in Apples official numbers.

This is why the services narrative is much powerful than it seems.

Apple needs no ‘low cost’ iPhones ,since the gray market takes care of it ,thanks to iPhones incredible durability & reliability. Copied this from some other guy on another forum I was reading

No manufacturer can sell refurbished or used products in India and it is illegal as per law. People are not foolish in India to invest on apple's eco system as most of the eco system is not built for them and service provided by Apple are little to no use. Apple is opening design and development centers apart from manufacturing in India and these centers should help apple to develop services specific to Indian market and increase their market share.

Last edited:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
No manufacturer can sell refurbished or used products in India and it is illegal as per law. People are not foolish in India to invest on apple's eco system as most of the eco system is not built for them and service provided by Apple are little to no use. Apple is opening design and development centers apart from manufacturing in India and these centers should help apple to develop services specific to Indian market and increase their market share.

Apple doesn't sell them, but they are widely available. The point is that lower cost iPhones are available in these markets in the form of used and refurbished iPhones. This contributes to the number of iPhones in use - the "installed user base" or whatever they call it. This is the answer to "expensive new iPhones" in these markets.

Reactions: racerhomie

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
No manufacturer can sell refurbished or used products in India and it is illegal as per law. People are not foolish in India to invest on apple's eco system as most of the eco system is not built for them and service provided by Apple are little to no use.

Refurbished & used iPhones are plentiful.

Apple needs no ‘low cost’ iPhones ,since the gray market takes care of it, thanks to iPhones incredible durability & reliability.

A one or two-year old used iPhone is better value anywhere than a brand new android phone simply because of Apple's support to its devices.

I don't think that the poster suggested that Apple itself establish its presence in India by selling refurbished products; on the contrary here.

Are you sure sure other sellers can't sell refurbished iPhones and iPads with Apple warranty in India; I really like to know the rules about that?

Aniruddh

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2017
A one or two-year old used iPhone is better value anywhere than a brand new android phone simply because of Apple's support to its devices.

I don't think that the poster suggested that Apple itself establish its presence in India by selling refurbished products; on the contrary here.

Are you sure sure other sellers can't sell refurbished iPhones and iPads with Apple warranty in India; I really like to know the rules about that?

They can't officially sell refurbished phone here in India because government fears that if they go in high demand, the country will become dumping ground for whole world to dump their e-waste.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
And the build quality will drop dramatically, I’m sure.
I believe they have QA checks for that reason.
[doublepost=1546715653][/doublepost]
Foreigners bring them.People going on trips bring them. People sell their old iPhones,to upgrade to new ones. I have brought 4-5 iPhones myself. Apples user base in India is quite large. The gray market for iPhones is quite vibrant.
[doublepost=1546715901][/doublepost]
I said this before,I won’t pay premium for my devices if they are made in India.
I much prefer China,Vietnam (like Samsung phones),etc but not India.
I will ditch iPhone and move Android,if they do that.won’t miss much anyway.
People. Apple has QA checks in factories.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
They can't officially sell refurbished phone here in India because government fears that if they go in high demand, the country will become dumping ground for whole world to dump their e-waste.

Is India still "importing" toxic waste from the West to root out precious metals and recycle?

If they stopped, that is news?

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
Is India still "importing" toxic waste from the West to root out precious metals and recycle?

If they stopped, that is news?
Like all countries,wealth disparity exists in India. Apple investing in India just means more of the richer folks can comfortably afford Apple products, and maybe use the 30% they saved on tariffs towards AirPods or an Apple Watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.