Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, Laurene Powell Jobs, Leonardo DiCaprio, and the Ford Foundation have partnered to launch America's Food Fund, an initiative aimed at helping to ensure that all people have reliable access to food in the United States.

americas-food-fund.jpeg

The initiative is being hosted by fundraising platform GoFundMe and will benefit the non-profit hunger-relief organizations World Central Kitchen and Feeding America. Apple, Powell Jobs, DiCaprio, and the Ford Foundation have donated a combined $12 million to kickstart the fund, with further donations being accepted from the public.

World Central Kitchen is led by world-renowned chef José Andrés, who recently spoke with Oprah Winfrey and Feeding America CEO Claire Babineaux-Fontenot about this initiative on her free-to-watch Apple TV+ series "Oprah Talks COVID-19."

Apple CEO Tim Cook in a statement shared by Deadline:
No one can be well if they're not well fed, and we can only overcome this crisis if we make sure that every person has the essentials that they need to care for themselves, their families and the vulnerable people in their lives. World Central Kitchen and Feeding America do heroic work, and if there is any lesson in this time that we must spend apart, it's that we are stronger and more resilient when we support one another.
Prior to the ongoing pandemic, America's Food Fund says more than 37 million people struggled to know where their next meal might come from on a daily basis, a number that it says is now rising at an exponential rate. Donate here.

Article Link: Apple Partners With Laurene Powell Jobs, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Others to Launch America's Food Fund

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah, the gofundme is questionable, but I’m glad to see this initiative on the part of Apple. The most important supply chain in our fragile economy is food production and its distribution.

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
It seems that vitamine C, vitamin D3 and Zinc can boost your immune system. Also apple, banana and other foods seem to help more than others.

Reactions: simonmet

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Sorry but Apple could probably donate half billion to this without blinking. It always amazes me when we applaud them for giving "1 million" to a charity when the average flagship store makes more than that in a week
Do you know that the money Apple has is shareholder's money? Apple did not pay shareholder dividends for a very long time by saying that the capital is need to enter new markets and acquire smaller companies. Now you think that money can be donated instead of being returned to the share holders? Without blinking?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I hope apple isn't taking 30%

Why would Apple be doing that? Do you really think that's even remotely possible?
[automerge]1585846344[/automerge]
I see GoFundMe is hosting this fundraiser. Are they going to wave the fee they collect and so the full donations go to these organizations?

They collect 2.9% plus $0.30 of the transaction. A reasonable amount.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I'm incredibly skeptical someone like Leo does anything good beyond being an incredible actor... Wont mention why I believe that though, as this isn't a PRSI thread, and I've had to endure the consequences in the past for slipping up.

On a related note, how is the subject of this thread not related to 'social issues'?

What are we allowed to say here except platitudes like 'congrats Apple!!!!'

giphy.gif

Last edited:

willyx

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
I see people receiving food from this fund eating better than most Americans xD

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
This is beautiful. Felt extremely compelled to say this before someone had the chance to make the first comment something god-awfully cynical.
I agree, but it would be nice if folks on this board had the courage of their convictions, and didn't feel compelled to preemptively parry attacks from lesser minds.

"Truth will do well enough if left to shift for herself. She seldom has received much aid from the power of great men to whom she is rarely known & seldom welcome. She has no need of force to procure entrance into the minds of men. Error indeed has often prevailed by the assistance of power or force. Truth is the proper & sufficient antagonist to error."
-Thomas Jefferson​

Last edited by a moderator:

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
10 million US unemployed. Just think about that for a second.

All the "programs" in the world can't help us at this point. We need to re-start the economy ASAP. This is a mistake.

Amen, brother. We've been duped into thinking that putting an economy on pause would somehow stop a virus. We should have just told the old and compromised to stay home while the others steered the ship. People don't realize you can't just freaking "Pause" an economy!

We lost a cold war with China and we didn't even realize we were in one. DUPED!

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Sorry but Apple could probably donate half billion to this without blinking. It always amazes me when we applaud them for giving "1 million" to a charity when the average flagship store makes more than that in a week
They have board of directors etc to answer to. Also, they do Do lots of very good things with donations. They can’t just throw billions at every “issue”. They must be measured. Also, Lauren Powell isn’t Apple, this is her own money. Give Apple time, they will do the right thing. Where are all the other many many companies on this? We seem to think Apple have to keep doling out $’s when we expect very little from other companies (and the government). Boot straps and all that....
they are a very generous company.

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Amen, brother. We've been duped into thinking that putting an economy on pause would somehow stop a virus. We should have just told the old and compromised to stay home while the others steered the ship. People don't realize you can't just freaking "Pause" an economy!

We lost a cold war with China and we didn't even realize we were in one. DUPED!

A quarter million people are going to die at this point in the US alone. Boy I hope you're old or compromised one day and get to experience what it's like when people don't give a damn about you.
[automerge]1585859683[/automerge]
10 million US unemployed. Just think about that for a second.

All the "programs" in the world can't help us at this point. We need to re-start the economy ASAP. This is a mistake.

You're wrong. Sorry. 250K+ dead bodies won't care about your economy. This is approaching WWII levels of death for Americans... drastic times.

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
A quarter million people are going to die at this point in the US alone. Boy I hope you're old or compromised one day and get to experience what it's like when people don't give a damn about you.
[automerge]1585859683[/automerge]

You're wrong. Sorry. 250K+ dead bodies won't care about your economy. This is approaching WWII levels of death for Americans... drastic times.
Where do you get these numbers? I don’t agree at all, but we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, be smart — wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and keep your distance from others.

We cannot continue to have things shut down. I believe restarting could be done strategically with success.

Also, keep this in mind — the average total annual deaths in the US is between 2.5-3 Million. The total for 2020 will be most interesting — will it be more or less?

Reactions: tomtendo

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Where do you get these numbers? I don’t agree at all, but we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, be smart — wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and keep your distance from others.

We cannot continue to have things shut down. I believe restarting could be done strategically with success.

Also, keep this in mind — the average total annual deaths in the US is between 2.5-3 Million. The total for 2020 will be most interesting — will it be more or less?
The models currently predict 100-200K deaths as an absolute minimum with perfect social distancing in place and everyone knows that is not happening fully.

The US had just over 400K deaths in all of WWII. This is no joke.

Reactions: Moi Ici

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
While a positive development, these are still band-aid solutions for deep structural problems in wealth distribution, fairness and equity and a grossly inadequate social safety net.

There should be a national, legislated food, housing and healthcare guarantee!

Reactions: Moi Ici

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Imagine being the designer who spelled Neighbours wrong. ;)

Not everyone still uses Legacy English.
[automerge]1585866311[/automerge]
The models currently predict 100-200K deaths as an absolute minimum with perfect social distancing in place and everyone knows that is not happening fully.

The US had just over 400K deaths in all of WWII. This is no joke.

FWIW, https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections still predicts slightly below 100k (93,531 right now). I could've sworn it projected ~82,000 a few days ago, though, so their projection cold be trending towards the same 100-200k you say.

I did an extremely naïve projection a week ago, and… it was actually around 600k. But I'm no statistician.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.