Apple Partners With South Korean Company to Develop Hollow Batteries for 'Project Titan' Car Project

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last year, it was reported that Apple has poached Samsung engineers to develop battery technologies for its widely rumored electric vehicle, and now another unnamed South Korean company may be involved with the project.

Korean site ETNews now reports that a small Korean battery company, which comprises 20 or so employees described as "expert technologists in batteries," has been tapped to co-develop batteries for the so-called Apple Car.

Apple is planning to independently develop its own batteries for electric vehicles based on the Korean company's patented hollow battery technology, according to the report. They are described as cylindrical lithium-ion secondary batteries with a thickness of two fingers and uniquely hollow centers.
    The report does not disclose the company's name due to its recently signed non-disclosure agreement with Apple.

MacRumors went searching and uncovered a European Patent Office patent application for a hollow type secondary battery filed by Korean company Orange Power. According to its website, the company has 25 employees in R&D, and 33 total, which together with the patent application suggests it could be Apple's secretive partner. At this point, however, it remains purely speculation.

Apple recently appointed Bob Mansfield, a longtime senior executive at the company, to oversee development of the electric vehicle, said to be codenamed "Project Titan" internally. He is believed to lead a team of hundreds of engineers from the likes of Tesla, Ford, GM, battery company A123 Systems, and elsewhere. The vehicle could be street-ready between 2019 and 2021, according to various reports.

Apple Granted Patent for 'Articulated Vehicle'

[​IMG]
    TTC streetcars in Toronto, Canada are articulated vehicles (Photo: Tom Ryaboi)

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today granted Apple with a patent, transferred from BAE Systems, for an invention titled "steering device for articulated vehicle." U.S. Patent No. 9,409,599, filed in July 2015, describes various steering devices for an articulated vehicle, such as a pivoting bus or transport truck. While vehicle-related, the patent's relation to Apple's electric vehicle is questionable.

Update: The "articulated vehicle" patent assigned to Apple was actually a typographical error made by the law firm handling the submission for BAE Systems. A Request for Certificate of Correction has been filed by the law firm to correct the error.
    Article Link: Apple Partners With South Korean Company to Develop Hollow Batteries for 'Project Titan' Car Project

2. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

They should really just move their headquarters to somewhere in Asia too. I mean, what do they honestly produce in the USA?

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

They build the nMP there ;)

I bet Apple will roll out a vehicle before we've fully switched to the new streetcars :)

4. roksraka macrumors member

Sooner or later those iPhone Battery cases will get even uglier - "now with a hole in the middle"! jk...

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

What I really want to know is how many different kinds of bands will this car release with?

6. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

This actually sounds pretty cool. Not only would it allow for increased output current, but it would theoretically allow for faster and more efficient charging too. Reminds me of the brilliant thermal core in the Mac Pro (which I know may be a bitter subject to some right now, especially when reading rumors about Apple making cars).

I think most people don't realize the importance of self-driving electric vehicles. Read part two of Elon Musk's master plan. It is the future. There's only the matter of how soon it will get here and who will be the big players. With their size and tech prowess, Apple would be stupid to avoid it and merely "stick to computers".

7. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

"steering device for articulated vehicle"

All on board the Apple bus!

Actually pretty smart. If the future is all about autonomous vehicles and personal vehicle ownership declines, you can imagine an increased need and increased feasibility for mass automated transit in popular corridors to complement the personal automated transit.

Automated car picks you up at home, drops you off just in time for the Apple Bus/Train/Whatever, you zip across to the other side of town, skipping freeway gridlock, where another automated car takes you right to the door of your destination.

8. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Just don't contract Bombardier to build your things lol.

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

The could also build a USA team for the same thing.

10. cardfan Suspended

Thanks for the reminder to check and see if I sold all my apple stock. Yep, i did.

11. 0008652, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. polterbyte macrumors 6502

polterbyte

Produce? Very little.

Design? Everything.

Guess which one is more valuable? Put it another way, which would you rather have as an American company, Foxconn or Apple?

13. Designx macrumors regular

Maybe the spaceship can take off and land somewhere in China where it should be. That's where the future market and tech will be. Building it here I think was a mistake - especially in California.

14. AxiomaticRubric macrumors 6502

AxiomaticRubric

I knew it! Apple wants to take over Bay Area Rapid Transit! :eek:

15. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

They could, but the company in Korea invented it and has a patent on it.

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

17. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Ridiculous statement. They go hand in hand. Like businesses and customers. One is useless without the other.

18. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Well they produced a big spaceship campus in the US. Besides that, nothing really.

The campus was Steve Jobs project too.

19. now i see it macrumors 68040

Apple phone wakes you up
    Apple Watch goes on your wrist
    Apple Jacks for breakfast (why not?)
    Apple car to Apple train station
    Apple train to work (at Apple)
    Apple computer during the day
    Apple for lunch

Where will it end?

20. rolsskk macrumors 6502

When they mentioned the articulated vehicle, I was like "What in the world are they thinking?" But thinking on it some more, just look at the new Apple Campus being built, and how large it is, and what kind of population it's expected to have. Now picture automated shuttles that go around the campus, bringing people to various locations, as well as off-site parking lots to cut down on the congestion.

21. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

ha ha only someone from Toronto would understand that joke! :p

Props that a TO streetcar made it onto MR! I rode on one last year, they're pretty cool (I don't live in TO anymore).

22. Sandybox macrumors regular

No doubt another USPTO grant of a patent for the bleedin' obvious. At some point in the future I look foward to the #saneonesvsthefanboys thread when Apple sues someone over this patent and sides are taken. Apple never patent troll - "oh yes they do"" - " oh no they don't" - repeat..........

23. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Apple is Skynet, Skynet is Apple. Say it again. :)

24. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

SHOE AND SHOELACE. ONE IS MEANINGLESS WITHOUT THE OTHER.

25. Sandybox macrumors regular

Apple launch a new product? Nah, thats too far fetched.