Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170238-aapl_4_22_10.jpg

MarketWatch reports that Apple today passed Microsoft for second place in weighting on the S&P 500 index of large U.S.-traded stocks.
Apple's float-adjusted market cap reached $241.5 billion, surpassing Microsoft Corp.'s index market value of $239.5 billion, said Standard & Poor's. Exxon still remains in the top spot on the S&P 500 with a market cap of more than $300 billion, said S&P.
The float-adjusted market capitalization metric used for the S&P 500 should not be confused with the overall market capitalization more commonly cited by observers. The S&P 500 uses a weighting factor to account for only those shares that are publicly available for trading, and it is by this measure that Apple has now surpassed Microsoft.

By the traditional market cap metric, Apple still trailed Microsoft by nearly $35 billion at the close of regular trading today, although Microsoft has lost nearly $12 billion in market cap in after-hours trading following the release of its quarterly earnings report.

Article Link: Apple Passes Microsoft for Second Place in S&P 500 Weighting

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple will quickly surpass it.

Just wish everyone got it right the first time by saying it was the weighted S&P cap. Still great news regardless considering what Apple came from.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
The float-adjusted market capitalization metric used for the S&P 500 should not be confused with the overall market capitalization more commonly cited by observers. The S&P 500 uses a weighting factor to account for only those shares that are publicly available for trading, and it is by this measure that Apple has now surpassed Microsoft.

Thanks for the clarification. There has been quite a lot of confusion about that.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This article reminds me of the “[If you count just right] Apple is the largest mobile devices company in the world.” quote from the iPad launch. :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Buy on rumor, sell on news.

The only thing is considerable news is still due all throughout the summer.

- iPad 3G shipping and retail sales will become visible
- iPad 5 country
- iPad 25 country
- iPhone 4 and iPod Touch update

The news has not yet arrived. Exxon only $60B ahead?

Rocketman

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The news has not yet arrived. Exxon only $60B ahead?

My quick math says AAPL needs to rise another $66 to catch Exxon.

I'll withhold judgement until the 3G iPad ships so we can gauge sales by how many we see in the wild. :D

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It doesn't seem so impossible now it could reach number #1 on both metrics. There still some legs with Apple. I wonder what Microsoft did wrong this quarter that spooked the shareholders? They have the new phones and their iPhone killer is coming out this year and IE 9, Office 2010, and probably some new Xbox games and corporate products. They have a good outlook in the Microsoft world.

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
Go AAPL

As Gary Kaminsky on Fast Money / CNBC said (yesterday after a $259 close), "Apple! If you don't own Apple, it's like being short Apple. It's going to continue higher."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36690354

Not the most positive guy out there in general, but he's a sure believer in AAPL right now, as am I. :apple:

As far as reaching XOM, time will tell.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
This article reminds me of the “[If you count just right] Apple is the largest mobile devices company in the world.” quote from the iPad launch. :D

Count it any way you want, if you think about it they are the biggest, if you take into account they have 1 stinking phone.

If you do any statistics you can pretty much make anything happen or get the outcome you want, take for example the news on depressants not working, oh the burn the burn. :confused:

Apple has to be admired because it has one phone, it's not even a phone maker in the traditional sense, and yet, they are burning the competition.

So in some way they are number one in phone. Imagine if they ever brought out 2 model, saint preserve us the world would crack. :rolleyes:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Wow, that really takes me back. Quadra 9500 anyone?!? How things have changed...

Fascinating to re-read the original article and see which of their "101 Tips" were actually followed by Apple...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.06/apple.html

Apple seems to be the company that news loves to hate, so fascinating to have watched how not only did they survive but how much news kisses apple ass now, and none even cares about Microsoft except to write about some new flaw. to :cool: :apple: rules.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I notice this advice

27. Relocate the company to Bangalore and make it cheap, cheap, cheap. (See Wired 4.02, page 110.)

The future of America, can't wait till the job market gets to be BK and Wal-mart for most of the population, muhahaha.

Oh wait we do have the Military still for job hunting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.