Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If this analysis were to have been done a few decades ago one would find that Kodak Instamatics and Brownies handily beating out Nikon and Canon even though they were crap cameras. What surprises me is that Apple doesn't also beat Canon.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Are you kidding me?

MacRumors is linking to the same stupid site that was linked to on reddit yesterday.

The same site that lists the original iPad as a more popular camera than the iPhone 5S.
They aren't kidding. MR has no quality control as such. They simply repost everything others post with as little thought as possible. It's all about the ad counter.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Hardly. The optics still suck, lack of zoom (crop is not zoom) and high compression on phone cams will still limit their usefulness.

Yes, phones are great for quick snaps, and catching something on the run but for capturing family moments nothing beats a proper camera.

I think you've got it backwards. Smartphone cameras are only useful. They're not artful or as expressive as fully featured cameras but they're perfect (too perfect) for capturing life. I don't know about your family but not only is it impossible to capture mine in the traditional portrait style photography (they won't sit still and pose for that) but there's little reason to do it proper. Why, so they can post it as a postage stamp size Facebook pic?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
it's still interesting to see Apple's own hardware slowly edge out such big brands in the photography space.

Except they're not - the figures show that both Nikon and Canon's share has gone up slightly, and if the difference between Apple's 9.6% and Nikon's 9.3% is statistically significant, I'll eat my iPad.

Wherever Apple (and Samsung) are winning their share from, it's not from Nikon and Canon - its from the brands not accounted for in the top 5.

Quite frankly, these results don't pass the smell test - ~60% of users not using the top 5 brands? Is the percentage of "No camera brand information given" (i.e. its been photoshopped and the JFIF metadata stripped out) really less than 4.2%? If that's been arbitrarily excluded then that's just one reason why the whole thing is a load of horse apples.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hardly. The optics still suck, lack of zoom (crop is not zoom) and high compression on phone cams will still limit their usefulness.

Yes, phones are great for quick snaps, and catching something on the run but for capturing family moments nothing beats a proper camera.

I think the old adage applies, the best camera is the one you have with you.

While I agree stand alone cameras are superior in nearly every facet. People are using their phones. The point and shoot sector is a dying as consumers are using their phones and not using a dedicated camera.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I can't say that I'm surprised. traditional camera days are numbered. More people use their phones as their cameras.

I think that is a non-sequitur, as a DSLR has a different audience than a phone camera.

When I can have changeable lenses, adjustable shutter speed, aperture, and the functionality of a DSLR, then we can talk.

It's like a surgeon's scalpel vs. a steak knife. Different uses, but a steak knife does not render a surgeon's scalpel obsolete.

I'm sure the Instamatic didn't render the SLR obsolete back in the 70's.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think that is a non-sequitur, as a DSLR has a different audience than a phone camera.
You're right it is, but for the general consumer, they're using their phone camera's more and more, and we're seeing this. the consumer sector for camera is going to be difficult for makers. True many people want a DSLR but they're a minority compared to those who want to snap pictures and post them to facebook and what not.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
iPhone cameras are great for phone cameras, but most popular does not equal best.

I just got my fist Nikon (DSLR) and I love it!

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
The only time I use my iphone to take a picture is to make one from a whiteboard full of notes at work, or something else I need to remember. Anything else, if I don't have a proper camera with me, I'm not making a photo. Unless you are on a bright sunny summer day, as good as it is for a phone, it just flat out sucks when compared to a proper dSLR with good glass.

I used to think like you until I started using my iPhone 6+ to take more pics for work. I am now using iPhone 6+ pics that actually appear on the cover of magazines and full page ads. No one can tell and no one cares. Sure, I would prefer to have my Canon 6D with me all the time but between all the lenses and body itself, I don't want to carry it all the time. Best camera is the one that gets the shot.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Flickr has become Instagram on steroids.

500px is currently where it's at, but even they are beginning to cater to the mobile app filter and upload crowd.

Guess at this point barely anyone really wants to offer a broad-scale (semi-)pro photo site anymore.

Glassed Silver:mac

Who still uses Flickr?

What have you moved to, from 500px? Used to use that, for a while.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Quite frankly, these results don't pass the smell test - ~60% of users not using the top 5 brands? Is the percentage of "No camera brand information given" (i.e. its been photoshopped and the JFIF metadata stripped out) really less than 4.2%? If that's been arbitrarily excluded then that's just one reason why the whole thing is a load of horse apples.

It's obviously a poorly done survey or an example of extremely poor and negligent journalism. One big question is whether Flickr sorted the data by camera serial number or not. If not, then these numbers do not in any way reflect camera ownership or usage. They merely report what was used for the most posts. It seems that Canon users first and Apple users second waste the most time posting to Flickr.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012

A comment that shows little insight into photography beyond the deliberately narrow enthusiast perspective. Sadly for you, enthusiasts think is the best doesn't always win. Good enough optics combined with low cost, amazing portability, and extreme convenience make phone cameras supremely useful.

As we have already seen, more traditional cameras are quickly being relegated to a few very specific use cases that phone cameras can't handle- low light, long distances requiring zoom, and professional photo shoots. As for your example, phone cameras are more than adequate for family moments.

Don't worry though- you will always be able to spend as much money as you want on giant SLR cameras. It's just that there will be fewer surviving manufacturers as the market dwindles so innovation will slow down.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Who still uses Flickr?

Well, I like flickr because of the 1TB free space. I have tens of thousands of images there and still don't need to pay a single penny for all this.

----------

As we have already seen, more traditional cameras are quickly being relegated to a few very specific use cases that phone cameras can't handle- low light, long distances requiring zoom, and professional photo shoots. As for your example, phone cameras are more than adequate for family moments.

Regretfully, phone cameras are still significantly worse than decent MILC or DSLR ones, assuming both are handled by the same (knowledgeable - knowing what "sweet spots" are) person. They just can't deliver the same pixel-level sharpness and dynamic range than a decent dedicated cameras.

Yes, as you do state, for family moments, they're indeed adequate. For more serious shooting, not even the Nokia 808 is sufficient, let alone the iPhone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How many people use Flickr? I'm not surprised that sites like Flickr and Instagram have a high percentage of smartphone cameras. I don't think it means anything other than when you're posting to sites like that photo quality is not a top concern.

Exactly this. DSLRs aren;t going anywhere - and if they are, these stats are not the "reason."

It's a harder/longer process to transfer photos from a digital camera then from a mobile device.

The reason why online services lean towards uploads from mobile devices is because it's a one step (or sometimes no step) process.

The weighting against USAGE of DSLRs is silly. The only thing this says is what people use to upload photos on these services - NOT what devices are being used to take photos overall.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
As neat as my iPhone 6 is for quick shots, nothing will replace my SLR. Unless they get that level of control and lenses onto an iPhone of course.

I'm not a pro camera user, but have you tried Camera+ to manually control stuff? I love that app!

Dinø

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
I would guess that each user of a DSLR is often uploading large sets of images. A better weighting mechanism would be to score the logarithm of each user's photo count (per camera brand). You'd see a much higher score for cell phones.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Who still uses Flickr?

Exactly.
I don't even really know. It seems like now they are unsuccessful in either demographic, the Instagram-esque one and the professional one.

From 500px? Never moved from there, never really started there.
At the moment I'm not really anywhere, since I find all places to be rather lackluster or not dedicating enough.
There doesn't seem to be an obvious choice anymore and the communities are all changing, so before I'm betting on the wrong horse I might as well just wait and see.

In the end your own website will always be the best approach in terms of professional presentation, communities are for getting attention (not in a negative way) and having some form of networking without much effort.

Glassed Silver:mac

jeffa4444

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Never mind the quality feel the width

Seriously I take pictures on my iPhone 5S because I always have it. If I want to take pictures Im proud of I would never use an iPhone its simply too restrictive and blown up the quality is awful. I am the biggest Apple freak out there but my Canon 6d blows away anything the iPhone can do.
Flickr was the place now they have revised the layout etc. its not as good as it once was, yes you still see amazing photographs but all the amazing shots we not done on smart phones period.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I remember getting the first Kodak Instamatic 100 back in 1964 as a kid, and having to choose oh-so-carefully what those 12 or 20 pictures per roll would be. You really had to think ahead back then.

Now I love digital cameras because you can take lots of pictures, and pick out and edit the best.

I also hate digital cameras because you can take too many pictures, and have no time to sort through them. I know plenty of people who automatically upload hundreds of photos a week to places like Flickr, and never look at them again.

Ah well. First world problems :)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
You're right it is, but for the general consumer, they're using their phone camera's more and more, and we're seeing this. the consumer sector for camera is going to be difficult for makers. True many people want a DSLR but they're a minority compared to those who want to snap pictures and post them to facebook and what not.

I see your point now.

I think many people, when they have a DSLR treat it as a point and shoot (myself included for 80-90% of the pictures I take with it).

Thank you for the clarification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.