Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

strategy_analytics_q211_smartphones.png

Just hours after research firm IDC released data showing Apple dramatically outpacing the overall mobile phone industry in year-over-year growth for the second quarter of 2011, Strategy Analytics has confirmed that Apple has indeed become the world's largest smartphone manufacturer. In that smaller but faster-growing submarket, Apple dethroned long-time leader Nokia and just barely held off a fast-rising Samsung to take the top spot.
Alex Spektor, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics, said, "Global smartphone shipments grew a healthy 76 percent annually to reach a record 110 million units in Q2 2011. We had previously reported on Apple becoming the largest smartphone vendor in terms of revenue and profits. Now, just four years after the release of the original iPhone, Apple has become the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume with 18 percent market share. Apple's growth remained strong as it expanded distribution worldwide, particularly in China and Asia."
With both Apple and Nokia reporting their quarterly financial results last week, it was confirmed that Apple had passed Nokia, but some analysts had suggested that Samsung might surge past both companies on the strength of its Android-based handset sales. While Samsung did indeed achieve remarkable 520% year-over-year smartphone growth to move from 5.0% of the market to 17.5%, Apple's performance was strong enough to at least temporarily take the crown with 18.5% of the market.

Article Link: Apple Passes Nokia and Holds Off Samsung to Become World's Top Smartphone Vendor

andyr2120

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Funny

Samsung is not even the top Android device seller in the U.S. market. I didn't expect them to be so strong in global sales (although I realize they are a huge and very successful company in many different markets).

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Great Job Apple. I always love hearing about them doing well.

I'm still pretty sure my next phone will be a samsung though :D

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Great for Apple! I hope Apple comes out with a cheaper model, see if they can stunt Samsung's grown a little :)

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
God I hate censor mods deleting my posts... Anyway, this is (as always) amazing considering how Apple only sells one phone, and one previous-gen.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
There's a reason why Apple is going after Samsung with all the IP lawsuits. Samsung is becoming the dominant Android vendor and smartphone vendor.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Isn't this a bit like saying:

Well we have 20 companies, all making VHS Players and they each have 4.5% of the market. meaning VHS has 90% market share.

However Apple who makes Betamax has a 10% market share.

Yay Apple. They are the winning company.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
It seems like yesterday that Apple had a goal of selling 8M iPhones in 2008 to grab the fabled 1% of the market.

Great job, Apple!

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
wow all that cheap samsung phones are selling well :D

Not his again! How is being cheaper something bad? How is having many options in different price segments bad? Samsung have some very cheap phones of crap quality but they also have high quality phones that are both cheaper and better than the iPhone.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
That is some very impressive growth from samsung, people on here would be going mental if apple had similar growth (even though apple's is also very impressive).

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

mrochester said:
It looks like Apple's status as the worlds top smartphone vendor will be short lived.

To be bested by apples top copycat maker.

For people who don't think apple revolutionized the smartphone market, the apple AND Samsung growth beg to differ.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Unbelievable growth for Samsung, but putting out just the hardware compare to setting up an entire eco-system that has to be translated, carrier contracts and financially sorted out AND get a local appstore setup etc. In every single country they release the iPhone is very different from dropping android in a piece of hardware.

So to be honest I'm 100X more impressed by apple pulling it off then Samsung. How many companies do you know that not just entered a market but revolutionized it in 3 years? Then end up almost at the top.
Then drop the iPad and create another non-existing market, but noo people still want to pretend Apple didn't do anything special. Everybody can have their preferences, but to pretend this means nothing and apple is just some gimmicky toy company for snobs is pathetic.

Going mental? Well only very sad lonely people would fill the big hole in their life with rooting for a phone maker :)

That is some very impressive growth from samsung, people on here would be going mental if apple had similar growth (even though apple's is also very impressive).

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Samsung is not even the top Android device seller in the U.S. market. I didn't expect them to be so strong in global sales (although I realize they are a huge and very successful company in many different markets).

Yeah, it usually comes as a shock to most US-Americans that there is a whole world outside the US borders - a world that does not feel, think or behave American at all...

Anyway. Samsung is a very big player here in Germany, and it's easier to find people with a Samsung Galaxy S1 or S2 than it is to find people with an iPod or an iPhone.

The "rebirth" of Apple still is mostly a US phenomenon.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I've gotta say that Samsung's growth is impressive, which is good for Apple.

Stiff competition forces innovation and drives down prices.

However, I am really sad to Nokia go down the crapper, their E-series phones were pretty innovative and used outside the states instead of BlackBerry :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.