Apple Patent Litigation Updates: Kodak and MONKEYmedia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) yesterday announced that it has agreed to investigate claims made by Apple last month against Kodak over alleged patent infringement.
    Apple filed the complaint in response to lawsuits and ITC complaints filed by Kodak against Apple and Research in Motion back in January. The ITC agreed in February to investigate those complaints.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, former user interface design studio MONKEYmedia yesterday announced that it has filed a patent lawsuit against Apple alleging infringement of three of its patents. MONKEYmedia CEO Eric Bear also took the opportunity to echo the words of Apple CEO Steve Jobs from the press release announcing that Apple had filed suit against HTC in early March.
    MONKEYmedia exited the user interface design business in 2001 and since that time has been focused on leveraging its patent portfolio.

Article Link: Apple Patent Litigation Updates: Kodak and MONKEYmedia

2. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Says it all :rolleyes:

3. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I hope monkey media wins against apple. Apple needs to stay out of the kitchen if it can't handle the heat.

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

It's probably pointless to keep posting these back and forth patent lawsuits as Page 1. It just generates the exact same comments and at this point, and is almost too silly to even care anymore. This should be Page 2 stuff.

Tony

5. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I tired of hearing stuff about patents and such...

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Are we going to look back on this era some day as The Patent Wars? The whole thing is getting really ugly. A lot of companies are trolls looking to siphon a few bucks out of the successful Apple, or competitors seeking to slow down their momentum. Apple is not totally blameless either, the HTC lawsuit was probably a big mistake as the high road is realistically not an option for them anymore.

7. Rot'nApple macrumors 65816

Rot'nApple

If at first you don't make it big time, sue, sue again! :rolleyes:

MR needs to create a "Litigation Tab" between "Page 2" and "iPhone" so as to keep score and see what is new in the Soap Opera I like to call, "As the World..." opps, can't use that, I might get sued! :D

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Normally I'd side with MONKEYmedia, but since it's now nothing more than a patent troll, I hope Apple wins. Patent reform really needs to happen to get rid of those trolls.

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Another day, another iphone lawsuit.

Did Apple do any patent research before they built this thing?

"I had an idea"

"I had an idea too, and I risked fifty million dollars and years of development turning it into a real product and bringing it to market"

Who gets the $?

Lawyers. Great.

10. hayesk macrumors 65816

"leveraging its patent portfolio" is business-speak for "becoming a patent troll".

I don't know how much merit this case has, and I don't really care, but why isn't anyone doing anything about patent reform?

11. ranReloaded macrumors 6502a

ranReloaded

12. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Why should monkey win if they do nothing except say "oh we have a patent for this and you infringed so pay us, even though we don't do anything else except hoard patents". At least apple is adding to the world instead of sitting on their butts and suing people.

I say if you do nothing to add to the world then you should lose your patent privileges.

13. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Do, or do not, Monkey.

14. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Me too. It seems all of a sudden there is a suit here and a suit there and it's really starting to make my head hurt.

15. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Let me be the first to say, "Let's stop this monkey business". :p

Don't be afraid to be corny.

16. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

What on Earth do yo mean? This makes no sense as Apple has been able to "handle the heat" of lawsuits since the '80s. Not to mention that you seem to support Monkey Media just because they're against Apple. What is it with people who want Apple to lose just for the sake of Apple losing?

17. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

We REALLY need patent reform. I'm getting tired of companies wasting billions in frivilous lawsuits because they were allowed to patent "Hand held device for viewing video and text".

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In other words the Monkey company is a patent troll.

19. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Agreed nothing but " Monkey Business" IMO. :apple:

20. 25ml macrumors newbie

21. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

that explains why some of the stuff on their website has the look and feel of MacOS 7-9.

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I find it amusing that companies can be in the litigation business and have lawsuits and their main product. Monkey is about right.

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Monkey must be Bananas to try such tomfoolery against apple.
    I hope Apple send them swinging.

(I love puns):D

24. CubusX macrumors 6502

Wwdc 2010

Forget the new iPhone release at the WWDC 2010, thats old news.

Apple will be introducing their new iSue app.

Need a laywer? There's an app for that.

25. casik macrumors regular

i would argue that MacRumors almost needs a "legal" tab beside the page 2 tab... there are so many lawsuits going on right now!!