Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

111251-kodak.png

The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) yesterday announced that it has agreed to investigate claims made by Apple last month against Kodak over alleged patent infringement.
The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) has voted to institute an investigation of certain digital imaging devices and related software. The products at issue in this investigation are digital still cameras, digital video cameras, and related software.

The investigation is based on a complaint filed by Apple Inc., f/k/a Apple Computer, Inc., of Cupertino, CA, on April 15, 2010. The complaint alleges violations of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 in the importation into the United States and sale of digital imaging devices and related software that infringe patents asserted by Apple. The complainants request that the USITC issue an exclusion order and a cease and desist order.
Apple filed the complaint in response to lawsuits and ITC complaints filed by Kodak against Apple and Research in Motion back in January. The ITC agreed in February to investigate those complaints.

111258-monkeymedia.jpg

Meanwhile, former user interface design studio MONKEYmedia yesterday announced that it has filed a patent lawsuit against Apple alleging infringement of three of its patents. MONKEYmedia CEO Eric Bear also took the opportunity to echo the words of Apple CEO Steve Jobs from the press release announcing that Apple had filed suit against HTC in early March.
MONKEYmedia today filed a lawsuit against Apple, Inc. for infringing claims in three of MONKEYmedia's Seamless Contraction patents. Apple's infringement involves its user interfaces for document summarization, RSS readers and video players that can display multiple versions of text and/or audiovisual content. The lawsuit was filed in the Western District of Texas - Austin Division.

"We can sit by and watch Apple continue to use our patented inventions without paying, or we can do something about it," said Eric Bear, MONKEYmedia's CEO. "Synergy between inventors and manufacturers is healthy, and we love that Apple believes in our technology. We simply prefer open communications and fair compensation."
MONKEYmedia exited the user interface design business in 2001 and since that time has been focused on leveraging its patent portfolio.

Article Link: Apple Patent Litigation Updates: Kodak and MONKEYmedia

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It's probably pointless to keep posting these back and forth patent lawsuits as Page 1. It just generates the exact same comments and at this point, and is almost too silly to even care anymore. This should be Page 2 stuff.

Tony

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Are we going to look back on this era some day as The Patent Wars? The whole thing is getting really ugly. A lot of companies are trolls looking to siphon a few bucks out of the successful Apple, or competitors seeking to slow down their momentum. Apple is not totally blameless either, the HTC lawsuit was probably a big mistake as the high road is realistically not an option for them anymore.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
MONKEYmedia exited the user interface design business in 2001 and since that time has been focused on leveraging its patent portfolio.

If at first you don't make it big time, sue, sue again! :rolleyes:

It's probably pointless to keep posting these back and forth patent lawsuits as Page 1. It just generates the exact same comments and at this point, and is almost too silly to even care anymore. This should be Page 2 stuff.

Tony

MR needs to create a "Litigation Tab" between "Page 2" and "iPhone" so as to keep score and see what is new in the Soap Opera I like to call, "As the World..." opps, can't use that, I might get sued! :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Normally I'd side with MONKEYmedia, but since it's now nothing more than a patent troll, I hope Apple wins. Patent reform really needs to happen to get rid of those trolls.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Another day, another iphone lawsuit.

Did Apple do any patent research before they built this thing?

"I had an idea"

"I had an idea too, and I risked fifty million dollars and years of development turning it into a real product and bringing it to market"

Who gets the $?

Lawyers. Great.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
"leveraging its patent portfolio" is business-speak for "becoming a patent troll".

I don't know how much merit this case has, and I don't really care, but why isn't anyone doing anything about patent reform?

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA
I hope monkey media wins against apple. Apple needs to stay out of the kitchen if it can't handle the heat.

Why should monkey win if they do nothing except say "oh we have a patent for this and you infringed so pay us, even though we don't do anything else except hoard patents". At least apple is adding to the world instead of sitting on their butts and suing people.

"leveraging its patent portfolio" is business-speak for "becoming a patent troll".

I don't know how much merit this case has, and I don't really care, but why isn't anyone doing anything about patent reform?

I say if you do nothing to add to the world then you should lose your patent privileges.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Let me be the first to say, "Let's stop this monkey business". :p

Don't be afraid to be corny.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I hope monkey media wins against apple. Apple needs to stay out of the kitchen if it can't handle the heat.

What on Earth do yo mean? This makes no sense as Apple has been able to "handle the heat" of lawsuits since the '80s. Not to mention that you seem to support Monkey Media just because they're against Apple. What is it with people who want Apple to lose just for the sake of Apple losing?

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
We REALLY need patent reform. I'm getting tired of companies wasting billions in frivilous lawsuits because they were allowed to patent "Hand held device for viewing video and text".

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Tony

Agreed nothing but " Monkey Business" IMO. :apple:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I find it amusing that companies can be in the litigation business and have lawsuits and their main product. Monkey is about right.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Monkey must be Bananas to try such tomfoolery against apple.
I hope Apple send them swinging.

(I love puns):D

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wwdc 2010

Forget the new iPhone release at the WWDC 2010, thats old news.

Apple will be introducing their new iSue app.

Need a laywer? There's an app for that.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
i would argue that MacRumors almost needs a "legal" tab beside the page 2 tab... there are so many lawsuits going on right now!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.